Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/10/2002 6:55:44 AM EDT
Anyone else here glad to have stock car racing back? Go #8
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:59:10 AM EDT
I am! NE1BUT24
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:08:34 AM EDT
Did you see the line-up? Time for the Ford Whining to begin. I remember last time this happen. Ford could not race at the big tracks so NASCAR changed the rules and then they dominated the next 10 races or so. It all what NASCAR wants. RCR rules!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:10:59 AM EDT
Pro Wrestling on Wheels.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:30:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2002 7:35:12 AM EDT by PitViper]
Originally Posted By PVFD304: Did you see the line-up? Time for the Ford Whining to begin. I remember last time this happen. Ford could not race at the big tracks so NASCAR changed the rules and then they dominated the next 10 races or so. It all what NASCAR wants. RCR rules!
View Quote
I agree on it's always about what NASCAR wants. If they'd take the damn plates off the cars and let the boys race, there wouldn't be so much of a problem for any of the different brands, 'cause all things being equal, the Aero numbers on the cars are about the same 'til NASCAR starts changing them so Wonderboy24 can start winning again. Right now, they're just way overpriced bumper cars, when they used to be real race cars. I always laugh at the "Ford vs. Chevy" thing... take the sheetmetal off and you can't tell 'em apart, except for a different logo on the Valve covers, and the engines are so regulated that there's not a dimes worth of difference in those, either. Say what you want but the Monte Carlos and Taurus' I see on the track don't even vaguely resemble the one on the street. Not really Stock, now, are they? I wouldn't have it any other way, either...real "stock" cars would be more boring than reading LarryG's vapid and useless reply to this thread. All the rants and bitching aside, I can't wait 'till Jr., DJ, Bobby (Labonte, not Hamilton) and the boys fire 'em up for real in about a week, and I'll be watching the appetizer today. Let's Roll! Pit
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:35:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By PitViper: LarryG, BTW, you are, IMO, an idiot. Thanks for no useful contribution to this thread. Pit
View Quote
There is not a Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or Pontiac out there. Who is the idiot?? Up yours. I stated my opinion and you get personal. Again, who is the idiot?
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:46:28 AM EDT
Bring back Smokey Yunick's #13 '69 Chevelle. If 'ya really wanta race.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:51:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LARRYG:
Originally Posted By PitViper: LarryG, BTW, you are, IMO, an idiot. Thanks for no useful contribution to this thread. Pit
View Quote
There is not a Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or Pontiac out there. Who is the idiot?? Up yours. I stated my opinion and you get personal. Again, who is the idiot?
View Quote
You're right. I was too personal. I changed my reply to indicate that your reply was vapid and boring, and devoid of any useful contribution to this thread.but as for you personally, please accept my apologies, since I don't know you, and for all I know you're a really nice guy who's only character flaw is butting in with an derogatory comment in a discussion where it is not wanted. In fact, had you actually thought about it you should have and probably would have expected such a response to your reply, as your post was meant to express your dislike of a subject that VT, GF, PVF and I obviously care about. In the future, If I were you, which I point out, I'm not, I'd take it a little less personally when NASCAR fans chastise you for dumping on their sport in a pro NASCAR thread...It's a subject that carries almost as much passion as gun rights or college football allegiances in the South. There, now. Feel better? Look how much bandwidth I wasted on you. And if it makes your ego feel that muchbetter, sure, I'm an idiot. Or an asshole. Your Choice. have a nice life. Pit
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:52:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Arock: Bring back Smokey Yunick's #13 '69 Chevelle. If 'ya really wanta race.
View Quote
Now THAT was a race car.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:00:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By PitViper:
Originally Posted By Arock: Bring back Smokey Yunick's #13 '69 Chevelle. If 'ya really wanta race.
View Quote
Now THAT was a race car.
View Quote
Viper...I've got the last #13 t-shirt Smokey got for Curtis Turner's crew. Smokey's daughter got it out of the Skunk Works black office when we were in Daytona for Bike Week several years ago. Good times die hard.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:04:36 AM EDT
I hope that DEI and RCR have a good year. It's almost time for the Twin 125's!!!!! [smoke]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:07:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2002 8:09:53 AM EDT by PitViper]
Originally Posted By Arock:
Originally Posted By PitViper:
View Quote
Now THAT was a race car.
View Quote
Viper...I've got the last #13 t-shirt Smokey got for Curtis Turner's crew. Smokey's daughter got it out of the Skunk Works black office when we were in Daytona for Bike Week several years ago. Good times die hard.
View Quote
That is too cool. That was when racing was really racing, just for the pure hell of going fast. I used to read Smokey's columns in some magazine when I was just a little kid...I think that influenced my love of taking things apart. I'd love to make it to bike week (that is a real live piece of America), but I have to convince the wife I need a bike first...LOL. Of course the 72 'Cuda I want to buy and restore could be a hindrance, too. Pit
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:09:03 AM EDT
nascar is about as exciting as golf! [sleep]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:19:36 AM EDT
all i can afford to race is a 5hp brigg's alky kart ! lol! restrictor plate racing is boring...and the nas"cars", themselves are so far removed from production vehicles i have a hard time figuring out why they even bother. barring a return of the "real" nascars...i'm tuning in to daytona and rooting for jeff (and his non-existant chivy!) to show them how it's done.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:29:33 AM EDT
Viper...Here's a pic of some stuff from a few years ago. [img]http://photos.msn.com/ImageServer/Image.aspx?Image=0h9xCkj4Yyo6VbTdcNrmhglJSkAWB6C91volMeDlp0glH­Pce8GnVZ!fyzXd9i22qlV93fRzJ*VAPQHjzFnRSctOgRs­HKMPGSrvdPcMTBMvIjGWd0ndYQJxlidTp58er9D15ONmw­ok5HP!rv3iVa*6Ri9pWMZsm1XYIYXSHUG*AqSLag8C3LM­2VRkuDasGQNvfnq5x7o8YM*asZ8RTBiBCQRBgWYF946bd­h68JBgaZD5Wbl0DCAIhTCwZGoLFXkBYP!5DMbPftoSOoa­5f3gXITsQPMpLYXipMMPswsLs2taxRhe19gAkwVHCedXx­lAsgZDkLHQQKZGiBNSlerC7Y*uvMsOK94OsH0dmEBiIwg­PVTToQ9Bc25Y3S3LpnPPTltdHaLxkybe7bc$[/img] We were doing Group 7 around 1970 but had our fingers in a few other pies. The only restriction we really had was funding. Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:42:25 AM EDT
There is not a Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or Pontiac out there.
View Quote
Aside from the pace cars, but so what? NASCAR is no different than NFL, MLB or NBA. Whatever draws the money. Go 18!!! Eddie
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 9:35:53 AM EDT
View Quote
Arock I am begining to think you are a closet hippie. [:D]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:32:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
View Quote
Arock I am begining to think you are a closet hippie. [:D]
View Quote
Nah..hippies were cannon-fodder for the cops when we came out to play.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:38:55 AM EDT
Go Jr.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:43:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:49:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Phil_in_Seattle: Bring back these and I'll watch a little bit: [img]http://aerowarriors.com/jpgs/wci881.jpg[/img]
View Quote
Only problem was our tests showed they were more stable and went faster backwards. If you got one backwards you couldn't get it turned back around until you lost speed. That nosecone was d@mn fragile and if it went south at speed you were in for a ride.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 11:19:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Phil_in_Seattle: Bring back these and I'll watch a little bit: [img]http://aerowarriors.com/jpgs/wci881.jpg[/img]
View Quote
BTW...where'd you get this pic? Is this a replica racer? Pulsing the memory I don't get an image of a Petty-blue #88 Daytona Charger. As there's no name over the door whose car is this? Maybe Lee Roy Yarborough's ride? What's the history on the car?
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 11:29:25 AM EDT
$200,000 an hour is good work if you can get it, Congrats! Tony Stewart
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:26:38 PM EDT
Anyone else have the "Best Damn Garage" book set? It's a classic!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:39:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LARRYG: Pro Wrestling on Wheels.
View Quote
I'm sure the family's of Dale Earnhardt, Adam Petty, and Kenny Irwin would be interested in your take on NASCAR. [size=4]GO[/size=4] [size=5]88[/size=5]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 4:26:10 PM EDT
Personally I thought the race sucked......back to the boring 500 of a couple years back. I really wished that they could come up with something to make the cars handle like they do every where else.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:01:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER: Personally I thought the race sucked......back to the boring 500 of a couple years back. I really wished that they could come up with something to make the cars handle like they do every where else.
View Quote
A chicane on the back straight about four poles from turn 3 would be interesting but then it wouldn't be a superspeedway would it?
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:47:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2002 5:50:30 PM EDT by Gopher]
Go # 40! I've drank enough Coors over the years that the right rear quarter panel should have my picture and name on it.[:D] Marlins right let them run 200+ and lets see who the real men are. Cant wait for April 7th and the Texas race.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:57:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER: Personally I thought the race sucked......back to the boring 500 of a couple years back. I really wished that they could come up with something to make the cars handle like they do every where else.
View Quote
A chicane on the back straight about four poles from turn 3 would be interesting but then it wouldn't be a superspeedway would it?
View Quote
There is a chicane on the back straight just about where you mentioned. The sports cars use it during the Rolex24 to slow them down because the prototypes are too fast. Even with the chicane, the sports prototypes are still hitting 215 under the starters stand (radar gun) and then having to brake to 60 for the turn into the road course.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:15:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LARRYG:
View Quote
View Quote
There is a chicane on the back straight just about where you mentioned. The sports cars use it during the Rolex24 to slow them down because the prototypes are too fast. Even with the chicane, the sports prototypes are still hitting 215 under the starters stand (radar gun) and then having to brake to 60 for the turn into the road course.
View Quote
Been a long time since we were at Daytona for Speed Weeks. Do the sports cars run just the banking? Rolling out into turn 3 WOT and heading up into 4 with that wide apron of track in front of you trying to get your bearings to get lined up so when the groove narrowed out of 4 and having to look under the roof to see what was in front of you was intense.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:22:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Arock: Been a long time since we were at Daytona for Speed Weeks. Do the sports cars run just the banking? Rolling out into turn 3 WOT and heading up into 4 with that wide apron of track in front of you trying to get your bearings to get lined up so when the groove narrowed out of 4 and having to look under the roof to see what was in front of you was intense.
View Quote
No, the sports cars don't use just the banking. They use most of the banking and a road course on the infield. Starting at the end of the pits, the sports cars come off to the left into the infield. They go through a 6 turn infield road course and exit the road course onto what we call NASCAR 1. They then proceed about 2/3 of the way down the back straight then go through a chicane on driver's left. They come out of the chicane and proceed around the banking, past the start/finish line and then repeat the process. I've driven it in a club racing RX7. It's a blast.
Top Top