Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 12:30:17 PM EDT
I'm looking at travel rated gun cases (meaning they could withstand the TSA scrutiny and airline handling).  The Starlight and Pelican seem to measure up along with the TUFFPAKs.  However, the TUFFPAKS are just too big. I actually need just a single gun case, but neither Pelican nor Starlight makes a single.

Anyone have any helpful reviews of either or a better suggestion?

Thanks,
bd

ETA: Comments on weight and bulkiness would be appreciated.  I really like both cases, but I'd rather have a case that was a little easier to pack.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both Starlight and Pelican cases and they both are extremely rugged cases.  I don't think that the Pelican is much better then the Starlight cases but it seems most people hold the Pelican in higher regards...

Not sure that that helps much but the best I can offer is the advise to GET BOTH
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Pelican hands down
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Pelican hands down

Why so? More durable? Latches better? Inquiring minds want to know.

bd
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a starlight and like it.

However, when we went to baghdad, we used pelican cases.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 6 starlights,  they are tough as freakin' NAILS.  I backed over one as a test (suburban) and it was fine.

only issue is they are so tight at first you have to whack the latches with your fist to close them.  they loosen right up though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
they loosen right up though.

Really?

Honestly my Starlight cases are icer them my Pelican but I bought the pelican used while the starlights were new.  The latches seem to be equally rugged and the Starlight wheels and handles are NICER then the Pelican case I have.  You are asking a question like what is a good truck to pull as bass boat and we are arguing if a Ford or Chevy is better...  Both are darned good cases!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Pelican
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Comeon, get BOTH.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Comeon, get BOTH.  

I already have some Pelican cases (smaller) and really like them.  I just wanted something tough but not so bulky.  I think I'll go with the Starlight. Thanks for the help.

bd
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't own a starlight, but I love my Pelican 1720.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
they loosen right up though.

Really?

Honestly my Starlight cases are icer them my Pelican but I bought the pelican used while the starlights were new.  The latches seem to be equally rugged and the Starlight wheels and handles are NICER then the Pelican case I have.  You are asking a question like what is a good truck to pull as bass boat and we are arguing if a Ford or Chevy is better...  Both are darned good cases!

yeah they do loosen up. Especially if you attack them with some sandpaper  The handles and the wheels on the starlights are GREAT and I can carry huge loads in them.   They're sweet.

Course I'm biased cause I have starlights and I got them for 50 bucks at the great sams club clearance of 2004 but they're still nice.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Try the 1700
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Pelican baby!!!

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got pelicans they seem to work good. I 've never used a starlight so I cant comment on them.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I like my pelican

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Those are great pics of the Pelicans. Anyone have any pics of their Starlights? OD Green ones?

Also, Starlight's website blows.  Where did you order your Starlights?

Thanks,
bd
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Those are great pics of the Pelicans. Anyone have any pics of their Starlights? OD Green ones?

Also, Starlight's website blows.  Where did you order your Starlights?

Thanks,
bd

Here is a pic of one of my Starlight cases....

Here is a review of what is in the case:  ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=14&t=258624

I recently sold one on EBAY and I have a ton of pics and details in the auction here:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7198685496&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#19]
The starlights are pretty sweet.  I like them more than the pelican for mid sized case.  Feel a bit lighter to me.  both are strong.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Take a look at Hardigg Storm cases. Nicer than Pelican, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Pelican
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Pelican.

Note from the pics that the newer Pelicans have metal reinforced Pad lock holes.

When it comes to Airline Baggage gorillas you really don't wan't a single rifle case .....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I've got some of those at the office.  They're nice, but I wouldn't rate them above Pelican just on material weight.  The Pelican's are almost too heavy.  Anyway, thanks for the pics, that really helps.  

Starlight it is...

bd
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:07:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I like Pelicans.  I like Starlights better.  But the Storm cases are better than both.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I like the pushbuttons on thhe latchs on Storm cases.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#27]
do these cases like the Pelicans have the "waffle" type foam. Like small squares that can be removed to get the shape cut out you want or do you have to cut out the shape you want with razor blade?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
do these cases like the Pelicans have the "waffle" type foam. Like small squares that can be removed to get the shape cut out you want or do you have to cut out the shape you want with razor blade?

Thanks

I'd like to know how you guys cut as well
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Thanks

Pick'n Pluck foam comes standard on the smaller cases made by Pelican. The larger Pelican cases include foam that must be cut with a razor knife. Some people use an electric fillet knife to cut the foam. I have heard that putting the foam in the freezer makes it easier to cut.

My StarLight case came with a razor knife. This razor has breakable sections which allows the user to always have a sharp blade.

I'm looking to buy the Pelican 1700 case pretty soon for my M4gery.

You can't go wrong with either case. StarLight or Pelican.

Here's a pic of my Glock 17 and spare mag in a Pelican 1150 case with Pick'n Pluck foam.
This goes with me on every fishing, camping and mudding trip.

HS1
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I got the Starlight and it's a nice case.  The handles are stiff though and when you close the top you have to make sure it aligned properly.

The cutout was pretty easy.  I used the supplied knife fully extended to cut all the way through the foam instead of making numerous shallow cuts.  This makes the cut more uniform.  ALso, marking on the foam is tricky.  I used a grey Sharpie that was kind of like a paint pen.  Worked well.

I cut it out for my M4 and .300 Win Mag. They both fit great even with extra area for my bolt and sling. I feel very confident that they are very secure since they both have scopes.

bd
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pelican hands down

bd

Don't you just love people who say "(insert brand here) hands down" and then do not expound when asked to.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pelican hands down

bd

Don't you just love people who say "(insert brand here) hands down" and then do not expound when asked to.

Yeah. All it would take is two extra words.  Like, "Pelican, hands down, because of the design, locks, options, etc..."

bd
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top