Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2004 4:04:30 PM EDT
I noticed that is what they were carrying in an episode I just saw.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd prefer a .308.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'd prefer a .308.  

ditto

Im also not a big bull pup fan
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I would be carrying a M249 Para, mimimum, given that the SG teams have to penetrate Ja'Fa (sp?) armor.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
M60 with API, if there is such a thing.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#5]
P90 looks cooler on tv, so yes I would.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I would want Teilk (spelling?) to get me one of those staff weapons.

But, if not that...I would carry an FAL PARA
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#7]
having shot the p90 (Thanks CMMG) i would say YES!. i loved the p90, i am a stargate geek.  i was really shocked how much i like the p90. i would give up most of my guns for one. its light , handy nice fire power in a small package.  has no recoil. did i say how much i loved the P90. yes i would bet my life on one. But im not ex anything just a couch potato. Ronald[
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd get one of those staff weapons, add a pistol grip stock and a pair of iron sights... maybe a scope.

Hell I'd also see if Knights makes a SIR handgaurd for it...
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#9]
P90's are way cool.  They do look like a used bar of soap, though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#11]
P90? M249? FAL?  They are going to alien worlds!!!  Why aren't they driving M1's through that gate.  and I'd want at least a couple artillery canons backing my ass up.  No, lets just take some little guns that would have trouble downing a grizzy halfway across the galaxy against some  unknown aliens that could be 30 feet tall with kevlar skin.

SG1 Started like Stargate, but has of course morphed into star trek where everyone in the universe speaks English.

I still like the show, but they need more firepower.  Oh, and why are all the worlds they visit near unpopulated.  You hear of millions of people on a planet sometimes, but never billions.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd carry it as a back up CQB weapon.  Not in open spaces or forests.  Better than a hand gun, but not quite a rifle.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
P90? M249? FAL?  They are going to alien worlds!!!  Why aren't they driving M1's through that gate.  

Gasoline.   Thousands and thousands of gallons of it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#14]
replace the engine with an electric and hook up a naquada reactor
actually, something like the off roader from ST Nemesis with one of those emplacement sized staff weapon like guns on the top with an electric motor running off a naquada reactor would be perfect for many worlds

Quoted:

Quoted:
P90? M249? FAL?  They are going to alien worlds!!!  Why aren't they driving M1's through that gate.  

Gasoline.   Thousands and thousands of gallons of it.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#15]
M248 FN MAG 7.72mm.  If I couldn't carry that, I would carry the M249 SAW or Para Minimi!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Staff weapon with a zat for back-up.

It's hard to believe that the Goa'uld have not used their technology to design effective body armor.
Also strange how the Jaffa suits emit so many sparks when hit with small arms fire.  Yep, Stargate geek here.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
replace the engine with an electric and hook up a naquada reactor
actually, something like the off roader from ST Nemesis with one of those emplacement sized staff weapon like guns on the top with an electric motor running off a naquada reactor would be perfect for many worlds

True.  Though there is also the problem of actually getting a full-sized vehicle through the tunnels and hallways and into the Gate Room.  I guess they could disassemble it and reassemble it in the Gate Room.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Oh, and why are all the worlds they visit near unpopulated.  You hear of millions of people on a planet sometimes, but never billions.

Because they were taken to the other planets from Earth, and they tend to be harvested or enslaved on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#19]
My question:

Why does everyone on every planet they travel to speak perfect idiomatic English?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My question:

Why does everyone on every planet they travel to speak perfect idiomatic English?

The writers have gotten lazy.  Now the Ancients spoke English too, at least on SG Atlantis.  I can't stand that show because it tears up all the SG1 plots that involved the Ancients or the Asgards.

In the SG1 world the Ancients ascended by choice (suicide if you will), because the material world was no longer important to them. In SGA the Ancients were defeated by a vampire race, so the last survivors escaped to Earth  5 million years ago with only the clothes on their backs and told the ancient Greeks about Atlantis. If that makes sense to you then you might just love SGA

I prefer the original version.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Their use of weapons and tactics are actually top notch for a tv show.  Their technical consultants knows their stuff.  Fingers are off their triggers, all the equipment works as they are supposed to.  No MP5s that shoot nuclear weapons or anything like that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Id get me a laser staff autosear.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Will staff weapons and zat guns be legal after the ban expires?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#24]
The staff weapons seem like ornamental junk to me, but I bet we could use their mechanism in a standard rifle type weapon, I'd take one of those, or at least a couple people on my SG team would.

I think a standard M4 would be pretty much ideal for what they usually end up doing, with at least one M203 along for the ride...  

And yes, they definitely needed to design some type of vehicle with some heavier weapons to take through the gate.  I bet you could push a Cobra chopper through, fire it up on the other side...  One of my favorite moments in the show was when they fired some missles through to take out enemy implacements, that was tooooo sweet, they need to do more along those lines.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#25]
From everything I have read, the round that the P90 fires is anemic and is only effective in full auto, which would rule it out for civilian semiauto use.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:42:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:14:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:34:18 AM EDT
[#29]
My undertanding was that when they were using the MP5s they were renting them from a props company, but a few years ago an airsoft company (Tokyo Marui) released their airsoft P90 and they bought a bunch of them.  If that's the case then all the effects would have to be added later though.  Probably safer than using blanks I suppose.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:36:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Heh, I liked the episode where Carter is demonstrating to the J'Far that the Staff weapon is a weapon of fear and terror, but that the P90 is an offensive weapon of war designed to kill.

She does this by blazing away at a log-on-a-rope target, then curring the rope on single shot.

A PDW as an offensive  weapon, she seems to have learnt though, and was carrying a tricked out M16 with C-Mag in season 7, much more offensive.

/PHil
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Hell no I would not carry a P90. Damn ugly weapon in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:05:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:28:34 AM EDT
[#33]
The show is filmed in Canada...

Quoted:
Silly question probably but I'm not a C3 expert. I was wondering today since the P90 is a post 86 weapon, how is it that the TV show is able to have them?  Have SOT's on staff do they?

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:29:04 AM EDT
[#34]
if its all I got sure. But id rather have a CAR.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:31:30 AM EDT
[#35]
No, they were / are using real P90's.
The reason why Carter "switched" to the Carter M4 special was the fact the show could not get enough blank P90 ammo due to it being used for training for the war in Iraq.
This year there was no shortage of P90 planks, so she is back to carrying the P90.

Quoted:
My undertanding was that when they were using the MP5s they were renting them from a props company, but a few years ago an airsoft company (Tokyo Marui) released their airsoft P90 and they bought a bunch of them.  If that's the case then all the effects would have to be added later though.  Probably safer than using blanks I suppose.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:41:24 AM EDT
[#36]
On the other hand, it did mean that Tapping temporarily shed her military fatigues. "It's the first time you'll see Carter in some sexy skivvies. I got to wear skirts and heels, and at the end of the night, this very sexy dress. He takes her out dancing. I just spent the morning naked ... so, a whole new departure for this character."

Asked how many non-essential personnel may have come in for the morning's filming, Tapping quips, "I don't know how all the producers fit into that house!"

While Tapping enjoyed the change of costume, it did feel a bit strange. "As an actress, I'm so sick of Army boots and my P90 [sub-machine gun]. Yet, last Friday, we're shooting all this stuff where I was in frocks and this beautiful dress, and I felt so out of my element.

"I went, 'If I could do this scene with a P90, I'd be OK.' I have these smoking 3-inch heels and this dress, and I felt completely vulnerable."

The fact that Tapping longed for her gun surprises the Canadian actress most of all. "Me, Amanda, I don't like guns. I'm not afraid to say it. I just don't think that any single human being should have that much power. It's such a controversy to talk about guns in our culture, but it's an issue.

"It's something that I've always been uncomfortable with, but I have to be honest, I have such a Zen with my weapon. I'm so comfortable with it, it's freaky."

Tapping says that because of the war in Iraq, it became harder to get P90 shells to convert into blanks, so Anderson's character kept his P90, while Tapping's got a new gun.

"I don't know exactly what it is," she says. "It's an M16 with something else on the front and something else on the back. We're calling it the 'Carter Special.' It's a honking huge weapon. When I shoot it, flames come out. It's just craziness."

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,274%7C83204%7C1%7C,00.html
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:36:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:57:42 AM EDT
[#38]
They are everywhere....

Quoted:
Damn, she and Anderson are anti's?  That sucks.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:58:51 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
"Me, Amanda, I don't like guns. I'm not afraid to say it. I just don't think that any single human being should have that much power. It's such a controversy to talk about guns in our culture, but it's an issue.

Funny, I thought that was a Richard Dean Anderson quote, ah well, they're both anti.

Question; why did the P90 ammunition run out in training for Gulf War II? Is it something to do with manufacturing being switched over to 5.56 from 5.7? Or does anybody actually deploy P90's for tank crews, etc? Just seems odd that a war fought mostly in 5.56 messes with the production of 5.7...

/Phil
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:11:12 AM EDT
[#40]
No one said anything about training except you.

That's an Amanda Tapping quote and has been since the first time I posted it back in 2003.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:20:31 AM EDT
[#41]
MK 46 MOD 0 LMG. Eat lead evil vermin infested jaffa.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Will staff weapons and zat guns be legal after the ban expires?

HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO SAY: THE AWB HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE '89 IMPORT BAN!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Would I carry it? Where? Around the house? War zone? Zombie invasion? Correct full-auto short barrel version, or a legal US Civilian neutered version? It depends.

Though the Five-seveN round is kinda anemic, it might actually be appropriate for SG1 most of the time. They do spend most of their time on various diplomatic and trading missions, where carrying around a full-size rifle would be kinda awkward. For those missions, the P90 is more effective and accessible then a handgun, but not as big and intimidating (to primitive races they're trying to trade with) as a rifle.

Of course, they do take them on lots of missions where they are planning for heavy combat. I'd much rather have a FAL or something in .308 if I was planning on running into significant resistance.

I never liked the staff weapon much either. It's too damm big, it's shots are slow and visible, and there's no sights or aiming device. It's good to have one around on missions, though, since they occasionally seem to be able to do things that the firearms can't. If I had to have something that big, at least give be a Barret or something so I can hit the enemy from far off and they have no idea where I am.

I believe that the reason for the clumsy weapons and lack of armor on the Jaffa is that the Goa'uld don't trust them with too much power. The way I understand it, all of the Goa'uld could make armor and weapons like on the SuperSoldiers but they didn't have anyone they could trust to wear it.

And I'd also like to know how much 5.7 the Atlantis team brought with them. Shouldn't they be running out soon? Where's the Aincents' small arms?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#45]
I have a hard time believing that interstellar warriors would have any problem coming up with something as low tech as rifles, pistols and small arms ammo. If they like staff weapons, they'd love RPGs.

Somehow I don't see Atlantis running on duct tape and cable ties. There has got to be a machine shop somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
SG1 Started like Stargate, but has of course morphed into star trek where everyone in the universe speaks English.

Not everyone in ST speaks English. You must have missed the episodes where the universal translators break down or don't otherwise function properly.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I thought about htis, I would carry the backpack portable GE Vulcan Minigun that was used by Swartzenagger in Predator!

Fuck the pussy guns!  Who give a shit if they speak english!  They will all die before the wall of lead
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Me, Amanda, I don't like guns. I'm not afraid to say it. I just don't think that any single human being should have that much power. It's such a controversy to talk about guns in our culture, but it's an issue.

Funny, I thought that was a Richard Dean Anderson quote, ah well, they're both anti.

Question; why did the P90 ammunition run out in training for Gulf War II? Is it something to do with manufacturing being switched over to 5.56 from 5.7? Or does anybody actually deploy P90's for tank crews, etc? Just seems odd that a war fought mostly in 5.56 messes with the production of 5.7...

/Phil

IIRC Olin has the contract from FN to make the 5.7 round as well as the .gov contract for 5.56, so like you said - its a case where the dyes are switched over to the 5.56 type.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:36:59 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I thought about htis, I would carry the backpack portable GE Vulcan Minigun that was used by Swartzenagger in Predator!

Fuck the pussy guns!  Who give a shit if they speak english!  They will all die before the wall of lead

Uh huh. You saw how fast Arnie ran his gun to the point of click click click when faced with a Predator, right? OK, back to reality now!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:21:30 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Well, the mini-gun was not used by Ahnold, it was used by Jessie.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top