Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2004 4:44:43 PM EDT
I pulled out my VCR tapes of the first Star Wars trilogy.
I went right to the scene where Solo shoots Greedo first and sure enough, I have the un-fucked up version.

Does anyone know if this version is avalible on DVD?
My VCR tapes are looking pretty ragged on the TV, plus I have the pan and scan version, not the wide screen version.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#1]
DVD's will be released next month.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Original/THX versions have not been rereleased in DVD format.  I've got the unfucked VHS version of all 3.  Would gladly repurchased them on DVD.

Would also like a DVD of E.T. with the original shotguns during the bike takeoff scene.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have the unfucked up version, hold on to it. It will never be released like that again.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Lucas has fucked them up even more than his "directors cut" version.

Quoted:
DVD's will be released next month.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]
the dvd's will be released next month but they will be the special editions with even more changes added. Including but not restricted to....
  -the emperor in ESB will be played by ian mcdermitt
  -the ghost of anakin skywalker will be played by Heyden Christiansen
  -Jabba in ANH will be enhanced
  -space battles will be improved
 -much much more
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#6]
What is diffrent? For us ungeekie types?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#7]
If you look on Ebay you can find bootleg DVDs made from the original laserdiscs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
the dvd's will be released next month but they will be the special editions with even more changes added. Including but not restricted to....
  -the emperor in ESB will be played by ian mcdermitt
  -Jabba in ANH will be enhanced
  -space battles will be improved
 -much much more

Uh, Ian McDiarmid (Palpatine/Darth Sidious) DID play the Emperor in Return of the Jedi.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I don't get this at all.  You'd think his ghost would reflect him at his death...not be a reflection of his youth.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Uh, Ian McDiarmid (Palpatine/Darth Sidious) DID play the Emperor in Return of the Jedi.

He's talking about Empire Strikes Back.  Go back and watch the scenes where Darth is talking via the holothingy with the emperor.  It's played by somebody else and the visual is very strange.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's talking about Empire Strikes Back.  Go back and watch the scenes where Darth is talking via the holothingy with the emperor.  It's played by somebody else and the visual is very strange.

Gotcha, I missed the ESB reference; it's the first time we see Vader isn't the top badass. "What is thy bidding, my master?", etc.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't get this at all.  You'd think his ghost would reflect him at his death...not be a reflection of his youth.  Oh well.

The "logic" behind this is it's supposed to be when Anakin was "good" before he turned to the Dark Side, rather him at the end of his life as Darth Vader.

I have the UNTOUCHED versions on CAV LaserDisc (thank God!).
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#13]
get the bootleg DVDs of the original versions.

They were made using the laserdiscs of the originals.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The "logic" behind this is it's supposed to be when Anakin was "good" before he turned to the Dark Side, rather him at the end of his life as Darth Vader.

This ignores the whole point of his redemption by killing the Emperor and returning to the light side. He WAS good again when he died.

That, and I wish I Hayden Christiansen would spontaneously combust or something. That kid couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

That, and I wish I Hayden Christiansen would spontaneously combust or something. That kid couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag.

While I'll completely agree with anything negative anybody says about Crhistiansen, I'll admit that even Mark Hamil wasn't very good in A New Hope either.  He really got better after the motorcycle crash tore up his face for RotJ.  Hopefully Christiansen will have improved by the time RotS comes out.

ETA: We're a bunch of geeks, you realise this yes?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While I'll completely agree with anything negative anybody says about Crhistiansen, I'll admit that even Mark Hamil wasn't very good in A New Hope either.  He really got better after the motorcycle crash tore up his face for RotJ.  Hopefully Christiansen will have improved by the time RotS comes out.

ETA: We're a bunch of geeks, you realise this yes? hr

When it comes to star wars i will admit that i am a geek, although a geek who owns many guns and is well trained in the use of them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This ignores the whole point of his redemption by killing the Emperor and returning to the light side. He WAS good again when he died.

I agree totally.  Anakin was redemed by his acts at the end of ROTJ and I think the REAL idea in Lucas's head is simply to make the films more "seamless" for all the newer people that didn't grow up with the original 3 three films, the "good young Anakin" is just a cover.

Saw Episode IV 24 times in the theater when it was first released.

Oh, rumor is that people at Lucasfilm have had to sign NDA's because Lucas *IS* looking at doing Episodes 7,8 and 9.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#18]
7,8,9?  That's not something I'm really looking forward to.  I had the misfurtone of being REALLY intrested in Star Wars back in school and read many of the extended universe books.  The stuff that comes after RotJ like the Timothy Zahn novels and such.

Doesn't really seem like any of that is worth making a movie of, and undoubtedly Lucas would write his own stuff anyway which would only serve to confuse matters.  Not to mention they'd be about Jar Jar anyway.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Is Episode III subtitled yet?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Last thing I heard was "Revenge of the Sith"... which works out to "Star Wars: ROTS" and that may be a bit *too* prophetic.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

yes, Revenge of the Sith

May 19, 2005
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

True, but it was campy and new, ANH was such a groundbreaking film that you could overlook it. Everyone in Eps I-III is trying to be OH SO SERIOUS, and it just falls flat. I've SEEN Natalie Portman act, I know she can, the scripts are just wooden and atrocious. Christiansen was cast on looks, period.

If they guaranteed Tim Zahn would do the screenplays and bar Lucas from writing a single line of dialogue, I'd be ALL OVER eps 7-9. Those are some of my all-time favorite books, the character development was outstanding.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I like in the first star wars how Solo handled Greddo, But I like in the second version how Luke ran into Biggs before they went to blow the Death Star.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True, but it was campy and new, ANH was such a groundbreaking film that you could overlook it. Everyone in Eps I-III is trying to be OH SO SERIOUS, and it just falls flat. I've SEEN Natalie Portman act, I know she can, the scripts are just wooden and atrocious. Christiansen was cast on looks, period.

If they guaranteed Tim Zahn would do the screenplays and bar Lucas from writing a single line of dialogue, I'd be ALL OVER eps 7-9. Those are some of my all-time favorite books, the character development was outstanding.

Better yet have Sam Raimi write and direct.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Or Spielberg. Someone who understands characterization.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Hamill didn't get messed up in a motorcycle crash.
It was a car crash.

He lost control of his BMW on the Antelope Freeway 14 in So Cal.

Mark Hamill's scars - the truth:

Mark Hamill was in a car accident in his BMW while driving on Highway 14

(Antelope Valley Freeway) to film sequences for Star Wars on January 11,

1977.  He had reconstructive plastic surgery on his nose and face.  The

recovery scene after the Bacta tank in ESB do show the real scars of this

accident.  The Wampa attack scene was created because of Mark's accident.

You can also see the scars covered up with makeup in the SW Christmas

Special and Corvette Summer.

Original posting of Mark Hamill's scars - the truth!

Okay, I've seen a lot of wrong information about Mark Hamill on this

newsgroup and I'm here to set the record straight about one of the

subjects -

the scars on that sexy face!  If you are wondering about how I got all of

my

information, I did extensive research about Mark Hamill for a report in a

drama class in high school and I have kept the collection of interviews

updated through today (the interviews begin in 1977 through 1994).

According to the book "Skywalking," Mark Hamill was needed for some desert

shots in Death Valley when Lucas got the call from Gary Kurtz that Mark

was

in a terrible car accident.  Mark went through the windshield of his car.

From Los Angeles Times article titled "Stardom - Science or Fiction?" May

1977:  Before signing for "Star Wars," Hamill had played in a Lorimar

Productions' pilot, Eight is Enough, which ABC picked up as a midseason

replacement.  Coincidentally, the night before the series was to go into

production, Hamill was in an automobile accident, one factor which

necessitated his replacement in the series.  From People Magazine July 18,

1977 article:  By then, it also occurred to Lucas' kid (Hamill) that he

was starring in what could be his career breakthrough, but he happened to

be committed for seven years to the ABC sitcom Eight is Enough.  When he

asked out, Hamill reports, "they decided to nail me to the wall as a test

case.  They threatened to cancel the series and sue me for damages.  I

felt desperate."  Then he recounts a possibly Freudian misadventure.  In a

rage he catapulted his new BMW off a 30' incline on the Antelope Valley

Freeway (California State 14 just north of Los Angeles, where the

Northridge earthquake occurred).  "My nose was wiped right off, and my

face had to be rebuilt."  While his older brother, a shrink, kept his

battered head together, doctors sculptured a nose from ear cartilage.

From Los Angeles Herald Examiner, October 13, 1977 " 'Star Wars' shoots

Hamill into Hollywood heavens,":  Mark had "six glorious months" without a

car earlier this year after a terrible accident sent him to the hospital

for six weeks.  "I was bashed and battered," he says.  "It's something I'd

like to forget.  There I was lying

in a hospital bed, enduring three separate operations on my face and this

big

movie I had a leading part in was about to open.  My career had just taken

off and I might never work again."

Quoted:
Mark Hamil wasn't very good in A New Hope either.  He really got better after the motorcycle crash tore up his face for RotJ.  quote]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top