Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2010 5:41:55 PM EDT
My wife and I watched some star wars over the weekend. She will not relent with this question to which I have no good answer (in her opinion).

Q: If Luke Skywalker has the same last name as his father Anakin Skywalker why didn't anyone figure out it is his son?  Luke is raised by his Aunt and Uncle with the surname of Lars.

I have two "pathetic" explanations.

1. Since the Jedi were wiped out/put into hiding not many still breathing know that Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader.
2. Skywalker on Tatoonie is like the last name Jones.

Poor plot writing on the part of Lucas? I have heard the entire series plot line was already outlined before production of Episode IV.

Now my wife will witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL black rifle forum!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think it was common knowledge that Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader.  I think Luke's uncle knew which is why he was so against Luke doing anything but chores.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Han shot first!

Sorry, wrong thread!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
No one knew Anakin Skywalker was Darth Vader except for the Jedi - who are all dead except for Obi Wan and Yoda.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The real question is, "how was Vader not aware of Luke's existence? "
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

He was told by the emperor that he killed Padme so he probably assumed their baby was never born.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe "Skywalker" (in their galaxy) was as common as "Smith" is in ours?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No one knew Anakin Skywalker was Darth Vader except for the Jedi - who are all dead except for Obi Wan and Yoda.

Pretty much.  But the couple who adopted Leia (can't remember their names) also knew but they knew better than to ever tell anyone.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much.  But the couple who adopted Leia (can't remember their names) also knew but they knew better than to ever tell anyone.

Senator Bail Organa.  And you have a Stormtrooper helmet for an avatar?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  This is it.  Also, Luke was put on Tatooine as bait.  Obi Wan expected Vader to come back.  The Emperor knew and kept him from going  back.  If anything could have undone what the Emperor had accomplished, Vader finding out soon after Padme dying could have pulled him back from the Dark Side.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  This is it.  Also, Luke was put on Tatooine as bait.  Obi Wan expected Vader to come back.  The Emperor knew and kept him from going  back.  If anything could have undone what the Emperor had accomplished, Vader finding out soon after Padme dying could have pulled him back from the Dark Side.  

Good point.  Obi Wan did live there.  I don't know if it was bait, but more of a watching over Luke and staying hidden himself.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He was told by the emperor that he killed Padme so he probably assumed their baby was never born.

This, and scary avitar...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I know.  My Star Wars knowledge is lacking compared to some on this board.  I'm just too lazy to look for a new avatar.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#14]
In before someone posts the Aunt Beruk and Uncle Owen (charred) action figures  
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point.  Obi Wan did live there.  I don't know if it was bait, but more of a watching over Luke and staying hidden himself.

One of the books describes Obi Wan's plan.  He went back to Tatooine expecting Vader to come not long after.  He trained under the guidance of Qui Gon's ghost as Luke grew up.  Vader never showed until years later when the droids landed on Tatooine and ended up in Luke's hands.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://gallery.racoonfink.com/d/8782-1/Star+Wars+-+Uncle+Owen+and+Aunt+Beru+Figure.jpg

cracks me up.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Vader had to play it off, because he could not Legitimize Luke before he was 18, since he would have to pay back child support.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I know.  My Star Wars knowledge is lacking compared to some on this board.  I'm just too lazy to look for a new avatar.

You must be one of those clutzy undisciplined Stormtroopers from the first movies, not the organized disciplined Clone Troopers from the last movies.   Seriously, beaten by Ewoks?  

OK, gues I posted before myself

ETA:
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Its a big galaxy and tatooine is a backwater. coulda named the kid "Anakin skywalker's son" and they never woulda found him.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#21]
very few people kner Vader was Anakin....and imagine a galaxy full of planets with billions of people on each one of them....there will be a few thousand Skywalkers (at least)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Where did Charlie hide the never-ending gobstoppers? ....and why didn't he sell it? Was it because the Queen of Hearts wanted to give him head, or was that the Mad Hater? And were Dr. Smith and the Robot secret lovers or was it purely physical?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#23]
docking bay 94....docking bay 94.....Han shot first.....away put your weapon....I mean you no harm......who you callin scruffy looking?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I just cant get over the fact that the Stormtroopers and Clone Troopers have this supposedly bad ass armor, yet it apparently does nothing to deflect ANYTHING. They die in droves from hits of even the smallest hand-held energy weapons, such as Leia's little princess pistol in New Hope. It just pisses me off.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

very few people kner Vader was Anakin....and imagine a galaxy full of planets with billions of people on each one of them....there will be a few thousand Skywalkers (at least)

Lets make this easier and say there is at least one thousand trillion beings in the galaxy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You must be one of those clutzy undisciplined Stormtroopers from the first movies, not the organized disciplined Clone Troopers from the last movies.   Seriously, beaten by Ewoks?  

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/indy_todd/charred_lars.jpg
ETA:

Nevermind.  My response was stupid.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Senator Bail Organa of alderaan

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I wondered about that too, I sort of assumed that since the Emperor told Anakin that he killed Padme, Anakin was overcome with grief and completely succumbed to the dark side and never thought to look for his children.  I also wonder whether the Emperor also thought the children died in childbirth; I just can't see him NOT checking out Anakin's relatives and his homeworld, but maybe he thought that would be too obvious that no one would ever hide Anakin's descendant there?  I just watched Revenge of the Sith a couple days ago, and it sure didn't seem like they planned very much for where to "hide" the children.  Bail Organa's cover was pretty solid, but the decision to send Luke to Tattooine was kinda

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Its a big galaxy and tatooine is a backwater. coulda named the kid "Anakin skywalker's son" and they never woulda found him.

I never want to go back to where I grew up. Why would Vader?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Obi Wan took the infant Luke to Tatooine because 1) Luke had family there.  2) Vader thought that the unborn children died with Padme 3) There was no way Anakin/Vader would EVER want to go back there for a visit.  Way too many bad memories.  He associated Tatooine with slavery, the pain of watching his beloved mother die a terrible death, grief, and regret/guilt for butchering the Tusken raider women and children.  4) Tatooine was the armpit of the galaxy with nothing that the Empire would ever want.  Tatooine = Gary, IN.  So, a moisture farm out in the middle of nowhere on Tatooine was a great place to stash Luke.

AV1611 out.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

pretty much this.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/indy_todd/charred_lars.jpg

ETA:

Nevermind.  My response was stupid.

You must have missed THIS thread?  

Why do the storm troopers in the original Star Wars appear to be very incompetent and are basically bumbling idiots. When in the newer movies (although prequels), they are well disciplined, well trained and very competent fighters?  
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

one is in seclusion and the other is watching out for luke
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#34]

dQuoted:

I just cant get over the fact that the Stormtroopers and Clone Troopers have this supposedly bad ass armor, yet it apparently does nothing to deflect ANYTHING. They die in droves from hits of even the smallest hand-held energy weapons, such as Leia's little princess pistol in New Hope. It just pisses me off.

It deflects vagina....just like guys who talk about Star Wars.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I wondered about that too, I sort of assumed that since the Emperor told Anakin that he killed Padme, Anakin was overcome with grief and completely succumbed to the dark side and never thought to look for his children. I also wonder whether the Emperor also thought the children died in childbirth; I just can't see him NOT checking out Anakin's relatives and his homeworld, but maybe he thought that would be too obvious that no one would ever hide Anakin's descendant there? I just watched Revenge of the Sith a couple days ago, and it sure didn't seem like they planned very much for where to "hide" the children. Bail Organa's cover was pretty solid, but the decision to send Luke to Tattooine was kinda

Lie I tell my wife whenever there is a plot mistake or confusing plot line...

"It's a fucking movie.  Get over it..."

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#36]
These are good explanations.

Any reason why Leia didn't also have the last name Skywalker? What was Leia's last name anyways?

Oh and the charred action figures are awesome.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Leia was adopted by Senator Bail Organa of Alderaan.  Hence, Leia Organa.

AV1611 out....

Quoted:

Any reason why Leia didn't also have the last name Skywalker? What was Leia's last name anyways?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Leia was adopted by Senator Bail Organa of Alderaan.  Hence, Leia Organa.
AV1611 out....
Quoted:

Ah thanks. So the Tommyknockers guy.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#39]
If the force was so strong in Leia, I would love to know why Vader could not sense the force in her and/or that she was his daughter prior to him reading Luke's mind.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Because Vader spent a good portion of the time between ROTS and Star Wars hunting down the surviving Jedi. But apparently ObiWan ingeniously changing his name to Ben threw him off the track...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I asked pretty much the same question in another star wars thread.  Since Luke was a baby why didn't they just give him their last name and raise him as their child.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I asked pretty much the same question in another star wars thread.  Since Luke was a baby why didn't they just give him their last name and raise him as their child.

because owen was an asshole

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Luke was trained to use the Force.  He put out a high level of "Force vibes" that could be easily sensed by Vader.  Leia was totally untrained and had never tried to use the Force at that time in her life.  Leah eventually became a Jedi, but her focus on politics and late start in her training was to the detriment of her Jedi potential.

AV1611 out......

Quoted:
If the force was so strong in Leia, I would love to know why Vader could not sense the force in her and/or that she was his daughter prior to him reading Luke's mind.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because Vader spent a good portion of the time between ROTS and Star Wars hunting down the surviving Jedi. But apparently ObiWan ingeniously changing his name to Ben threw him off the track...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Yeah, I always liked that one.  Mighty sneaky, that Obi-Wan
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#45]
The Dark Lord did not recognize Luke until he came of age and was no longer protected by the enchantment passed on to his Uncle Vernon and Aunt Beru upon his mother's death. The "presence" Darth Voldemort felt on the death star was not Sirius Kenobi as we are led to believe in the movie, it was actually the familliar feelings he had towards Padme Potter through her (an unbeknownst to Anakin Riddle) son.  

I know some of you will say, "But why didn't Darth Voldemort recognize Leia as his daughter then?" and my only answer to that is that she was a stuck up bitch and didn't care to be in her company long enough to stir those feelings.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Kirk > Picard
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

because owen was an asshole

LOL
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have heard the entire series plot line was already outlined before production of Episode IV.

I've heard that too, it has to be bullshit
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The Dark Lord did not recognize Luke until he came of age and was no longer protected by the enchantment passed on to his Uncle Vernon and Aunt Beru upon his mother's death. The "presence" Darth Voldemort felt on the death star was not Sirius Kenobi as we are led to believe in the movie, it was actually the familliar feelings he had towards Padme Potter through her (an unbeknownst to Anakin Riddle) son.  

I know some of you will say, "But why didn't Darth Voldemort recognize Leia as his daughter then?" and my only answer to that is that she was a stuck up bitch and didn't care to be in her company long enough to stir those feelings.

CarbineMom, the Harry Potter nerd, likes this
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the books describes Obi Wan's plan.  He went back to Tatooine expecting Vader to come not long after.  He trained under the guidance of Qui Gon's ghost as Luke grew up.  Vader never showed until years later when the droids landed on Tatooine and ended up in Luke's hands.

That's a pretty retarded plan when you consider the fact that the last time Obi Wan saw Vader he was nothing but a burnt to shit robot arm with some meat attached. To come up with that plan he would have had to of known, or at least suspected, that Vader was going to survive in which case he should have just finished the job on Mustafar.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top