Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2005 4:33:01 PM EDT
When I put this the DVD's into my laptop it shows them as named CHARLOTTE_DISC1 and CHARLOTTE_DISC2.  Anyone else's do this?
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
When I put this the DVD's into my laptop it shows them as named CHARLOTTE_DISC1 and CHARLOTTE_DISC2.  Anyone else's do this?

Yeah, I just noticed it a moment ago myself.
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]
yes
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Any reason why?
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine too. I ust changed the name when I copi er backed it up.

The copy acts kind of weird. The opening 20th Century Fox/Lucas Film Limited logo goes into a constant repeat. I have to go into the chapter menu and select the third chapter to get the movie going.

Not a big deal, just thought it was kinda weird.

On a side note. I'm watching the back-up and man... this movie seems a lot more dragged out watching it in a living room v. a theater. A lot of boring shit in the beginning.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#6]
After reading his review I realized I agree with Maddox a lot on this movie.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#7]
The secret lies with CHARLOTTE.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That guy is an idiot.

Regardless of the movie he has issues.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That guy is an idiot.

I think he's hilarious.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That guy is an idiot.

I think he's hilarious.

I fail to see the humor in rantings on his page.. Sounds like a 13 year old that has had to much chocolate.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I fail to see the humor in rantings on his page.. Sounds like a 13 year old that has had to much chocolate.

Oh well. Guess you can just move on then
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh well. Guess you can just move on then

and you can continue t be easliy amused!

ETA <------ Waisted 8K on this post...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The copy acts kind of weird. The opening 20th Century Fox/Lucas Film Limited logo goes into a constant repeat. I have to go into the chapter menu and select the third chapter to get the movie going.

You think that's bad this one copy I er, saw, had numbers running over the picture, for like the whole movie.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You think that's bad this one copy I er, saw, had numbers running over the picture, for like the whole movie.

That is weird.

I have a "back-up" of Matrix II that I'm 99% sure used to play but now... nothing. Even weirder is that when I put it in my laptop it starts to run the menu and then just locks up and creashed Windows Media Player.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#15]
My G/F has a new version of WINDVD on her laptop that doesn't play some of the older backup formats (VCD and SVCD).

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#16]
That guy is an idiot.

you're talking about Lucas, right?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is weird.

I have a "back-up" of Matrix II that I'm 99% sure used to play but now... nothing. Even weirder is that when I put it in my laptop it starts to run the menu and then just locks up and creashed Windows Media Player.

My G/F tried to make a backup of the '95 release of the original trilogy using her DVD burner, and there was copy protection on the tape that prevented it.

I need to take a look at her setup.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#18]
what are you guys using to copy backup your discs with?  Will DVD shrink and Decrypter still work?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is weird.

My G/F tried to make a backup of the '95 release of the original trilogy using her DVD burner, and there was copy protection on the tape that prevented it.

I need to take a look at her setup.

pathfinder:  that's just window's medial player - it sucks.
stryfe: the tape probably has macrovision on it.  they make these black box things which will filter it out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

stryfe: the tape probably has macrovision on it.  they make these black box things which will filter it out.

I reckoned there was a filter, it's just the wrong time of year to deal with something I've waited this long for.

But at least I know what to look for. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yeah , he's right
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:18:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
what are you guys using to copy backup your discs with?  Will DVD shrink and Decrypter still work?

I used Clone DVD and Any DVD. Any DVD removes the copyright protection. Clone does the copying. I think Any DVD will work with other programs as well.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:28:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The secret lies with CHARLOTTE.

I guess I'm the only one who caught this, that was a great movie too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

"Charlotte's" Web of Ep III DVD Intrigue
November 02, 2005

Some attentive fans who boot up the new Revenge of the Sith DVD on their computer might find a strange name attached to the DVD icon appearing on their desktop: CHARLOTTE.
At first glance, one might think they've accidentally intercepted a disc outlining some clandestine plot hidden within the coding of a mass-market DVD. Or, perhaps Charlotte could be the name of some shady agent of intrigue?

In fact, both guesses would be correct -- from a certain point of view.

It's the result of a method used by the industry to safeguard some of its high-profile projects from publicity leaks -- a class of projects that includes Revenge of the Sith. "Charlotte" was the codename assigned to the Episode III DVD project.

As most fans are aware, codenames, or "security titles", are a time-honored tradition with the Star Wars movies -- "Blue Harvest", the cover used for Return of the Jedi while shooting in Arizona and California, is probably the most famous example. More recently, the name "Blackeyes" was assigned to one of the Episode II trailers, inspired by the title of a 1989 TV mini-series produced by Star Wars' own Rick McCallum. "Charlotte" is the latest in a long list of storied Star Wars codenames.

With the release of Episode III on DVD, this little-known tradition of intrigue is finally getting its cover blown thanks to the codename making its way to some of the authored and completed discs. "It is only seen on the very first batch of the Episode III DVDs, and is being 'retired' for future manufacturing runs, so it could be a collector's item that gives the fans a glimpse into the secret history of the Star Wars DVDs," says DVD Producer Van Ling.

Though "Charlotte" may seem to be a random name assigned to protect the Episode III project, Ling explains that it and the names used on previous Star Wars DVD projects were carefully selected to meet a certain set of criteria. "Firstly, they each had to be a single-word female name, just to keep it pleasant and short; secondly, it had to relate to a film that was owned or distributed by [Star Wars saga distributor] Twentieth Century Fox, so there was that additional layer of subterfuge that gave it a plausible link between the name and some other Fox-owned title; and thirdly, the film title being used as a decoy was ideally one for which that film's DVD was actually in production and slated to be released around the same time as its Star Wars counterpart."

A self-described film geek, Ling chose "Charlotte" after the 1964 Fox film Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte, starring Bette Davis and Olivia DeHavilland.

Previous titles assigned to Star Wars DVD projects included "Laura" for Episode I, "Mary" for Episode II, and "Eve" for the Star Wars Trilogy DVD set.

While "Laura" came from the 1944 film of the same name, and "Mary" was inspired by both There's Something About Mary and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," Ling claims to have found the perfect name in "Eve" for the trilogy box set. "The Three Faces of Eve was about a woman with three personalities -- Eve White, Eve Black and Jane -- so I used these three names as the code names for the individual films -- Episode IV, Episode V and Episode VI-- respectively. So it all made logical sense and was consistent," he says.

"Clearly, I was having way too much fun coming up with these things," adds Ling.

Here for the first time are the secret codenames assigned to the menus for the trilogy DVD box set. Try to match the titles to the menus:

Aspen, Fridge, Elephant, Swamp, Swamp House, Train Swamp, Platform, BRG, Freeze Room, Sunset, Cantina, Auction, Temple, Garage, Oscar, Tall Room, Panel, Vegas, Ice Cube, Sailboat, Tunnel, Throne, Tahoe, Forest, Bunker, Birdy, Lido Deck, Teacher's Lounge, Crazy Legs, Squid Room, Dad's Room

And here's the menu codenames for the Revenge of the Sith DVD:

Office, Shooting Gallery, Donut Shop, Boneyard, Gigi, Lizard Run, Riverworld, Riverdance, Sauna

For those who encounter Charlotte on their way to the saga's sixth DVD adventure, give her a wink, then point, click, and brace yourself for Revenge of the Sith.

source

On early discs with the DVD release, the file containing the film and the file with the bonus features were each named a variation of "CHARLOTTE," rather than something relating to the movie itself. This was done intentionally by those who created the DVD, in order to keep it a secret as to which exact DVD it was before release. The file will be called something relating to Revenge of the Sith, however, in later pressings of the DVD; it was given this name only in early pressings.

source

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That guy is an idiot.

The guy is an absolute riot!!!  Poke around some of his other rants.  Here's a choice tidbit from the "Unintentionally sexual comic book covers" article:

"It's every man's dream to have a penis so large that he must hire a small boy to carry it."

That's sigline material if I ever saw it!!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top