Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 1:46:42 PM EDT
I was in downtown Fort Worth this afternoon.  I was standing at the corner of Commerce and Belknap.  I observed a uniformed FWPD officer on the corner opposite from me.  I was surprised at his actions.  Trash was strewn about the area near him.  He got off his bike and proceeded to pick it all up and toss in to the nearby receptacle.

Wow.  How often do you see that?

Don't Mess With Texas.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was in downtown Fort Worth this afternoon.  I was standing at the corner of Commerce and Belknap.  I observed a uniformed FWPD officer on the corner opposite from me.  I was surprised at his actions.  Trash was strewn about the area near him.  He got off his bike and proceeded to pick it all up and toss in to the nearby receptacle.

Don't Mess With Texas.

Gives ya hope, doesn't it.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Ummm... shouldn't he be out clubbin' perps and shootin dogs?

Why would a cop be picking up trash?

- BG
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]
We have some members here from Fort Worth PD.  Sounds like one of ours to me......

(or at least I can hope!)
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Don't Mess With Texas.

Sweet...that cop actually cares about his city...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#5]
When I go to Ft Worth I always come away with a good feeling for the place.  Some really nice folks there.

rip
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#6]
if it was a road hazard then he was kinda doin his job...

but yeah, you shoulda thanked him or given him a thumbs up!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

- BG

Uhhh, because he's proud of where he lives and wants to keep it beautiful??
Way to go, FWPD!!  Bike officers are known to do lots of nice things.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Bike officers are known to do lots of nice things.

That is what I have noticed as well.  At least in FW (I've never met any other city's bike cops).

And I hope the other poster is correct - it would be neat if it was an arfcommer.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to think he put his badge away for a minute and picked up that trash as a common citizen doing a good deed.  Cops are regular people like anyone else.  You've got assh*les and angels in every group.  This guy sounds like a stand-up, class act to me.  Most of us could learn something from him.

No, I'm not a cop, and I HATE getting speeding tickets!

BBURN
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't Mess With Texas.

Sweet...that cop actually cares about his city...

Now that's a great PERSON!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Damned cops, screwing off on the clock, instead of busting bad guys

/arfcom automatic cop-bashing
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd like to point out that I was only making a joke... I rather like police officers...

I'm only poking fun at a trained man in a uniform picking up trash...

and please don't give me any crap about garbage men having uniforms... you know what I mean.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Refreshing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#17]
At least he went home safe. Oh, wait....nevermind.

Sounds like good community policing to me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Good deal!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#19]
There are studies showing that trash on the street/sidewalk correlates to crime.

I notice it when I bike thru bad neighborhoods--lots more broken glass and tash on the street and sidewalk.  I guess people on welfare don't have time to pick up litter in front of their houses.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:14:15 AM EDT
[#20]
this really warms my heart.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You'd never see that sorta thing in the Northeast.  The unions would have had that scab for lunch.  Garbage men need to earn a living too ya know!!!!!!!!

Hi Shotar, I like when cops give me a ride back to my car when I run out of gas yes its me shhh! don't tell anyone!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#24]
He was clearing a field of fire for the dog ambush.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#25]
If you know what station patrols that area and call whoever runs it and tell them.  They might not know who it was, but they'll still like to hear about it. Cops rarely get to hear "Somebody in your uniform did a good job today" [joke]since they're so often shootin' dogs and stuff.[/joke]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:54:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If you know what station patrols that area and call whoever runs it and tell them.  They might not know who it was, but they'll still like to hear about it. Cops rarely get to hear "Somebody in your uniform did a good job today" [joke]since they're so often shootin' dogs and stuff.[/joke]

DONE!

Its a small station near Grove and 2nd st.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#27]
What you observed was probably a punishment being carried out.  He didn't make his quota for dogs last month now he's gotta clean up trash.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Goes to show that their truly are a lot of good cops out their.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#29]
One time i was walking through this parking lot and I saw a Tulsa police officer snort some white substance up his shnoz while sitting in his patrol car...when he saw me he fliped on his lights and peeled out of there!

Just being fair and balanced...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
There are studies showing that trash on the street/sidewalk correlates to crime.

I notice it when I bike thru bad neighborhoods--lots more broken glass and tash on the street and sidewalk.  I guess people on welfare don't have time to pick up litter in front of their houses.

GunLvr

Very true, it's called the "Broken Windows Theory" it says that:
1) Neighborhood disorder creates fear. Areas with street people, youth gangs, prostitutuion, and drunks are high-crime areas.

2) Just as broken windows are a signal that nobody cares and can lead to more serious vandalism, untended disorderly behavior is a signal that the community doesn't care, thus leading to more serious disorder and crime.

3) If the police are to deal with disorder and thus reduce fear and crime, they must rely on citizens for assistance as well as using their actions to set  the example.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#31]
many years ago when my father was alive (i think he ws in his late 80's at this time) he pulled out of his driveway and got a flat tire. now, dad was not on the big side, maybe 5 foot 3 at best and 110 lbs. he was standing by the rear of the car where the flat was,  just looking. there is no way he could change it. along came princeton's finest. stopped and asked my father if he was alright. dad laughed and said the old line, well i have a flat but it is only flat on one side. ever the joker that he was. cop got out of his car and changed the tire for him.
i have had my run ins with the locals but not to the extent i read about here on ar15.com.
dad has been gone now 13 years and i still miss him.
be well
maxwell
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#32]
God Bless Texas.

The only thing I've seen Officer WAVE pick up is out of town chicks from the pictures that get posted.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#33]
I hope you went over and thanked him.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I hope you went over and thanked him.

No, I didn't.  I called the station and reported it.  They said, "thank you for letting us know."
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

- BG

Because he is a little "slow" and he heard a fellow cop say that he was "cleanin' up the streets and takin' out the trash"  and figured he would just emulate that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Why couldnt he have found a homeless person to make do it? "You filthy fucking hobo, get over there and pick up that trash before I split your head!"  How hard is that?
j/k
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Broken windows theory. Cop was obviously well trained in the aspect of community based policing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Don't make a mess in texas!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top