Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 10/14/2005 10:11:15 AM EDT
My mom has natural gas heat and is looking to those electric stand alone heaters to help keep the gas bill down this winter.  She will keep the gas set low and run a couple of electric ones.

What are some good types, brands, etc. to look into?  What should she avoid?  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:14:25 AM EDT
I'd want to do the math before going too far in to the electric conversion.

But what they would be great for is lowering the temp of the whole house and using small electric heaters to warm up the area that she's in at the time.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:20:00 AM EDT
The one good thing is that the electric prices in VA will not be going up or not going up much as the price is controlled by the State Corporation Commission.  I believe the electric prices are frozen until 2007, IIRC,
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:25:45 AM EDT
I never run the central heat, but it does not get that cold here (38f is the normal low).  I tried running one of those space heaters in my room, just to take the chill of (15 min in the morn, 20 min in the evening).    The electric bill was huge, and I barely ran the thing.  I am not sure how much gas is where you are, but those heaters suck juice.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:32:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
I'd want to do the math before going too far in to the electric conversion.

But what they would be great for is lowering the temp of the whole house and using small electric heaters to warm up the area that she's in at the time.

The math is pretty easy… natural gas up 30-70% this year depending on the area... this on top of 2 years of huge price increases. My natural gas bill is multiples of what it was a few years ago.

I cannot afford it so I will keep the house at 60 and heat selected areas with space heaters. I use those oil filled electric radiators they seem to be efficient with far less fire hazard.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 10:35:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/14/2005 10:36:40 AM EDT by Coolio]
I do it.  It works well.  I turn the thermostat down and run a couple of those little ceramic heaters.  I run one in my bedroom and one downstairs in the dining area so I'm not cold while eating breakfast before leaving for work in the morning.  I also have one at work!
They're made by Holmes, but they are sold under a couple of different trade names.  Heatsafe and Titan (most recent purchase; just last weekend) are the names I have bought them under.  The Holmes/Titan I just bought I paid $17.95 for it at WalMart.
These little heaters don't last forever.  My oldest one I bought about four years ago and ran it most of the night every night over the past four Winters.  It's my "downstairs" heater now because the thermostat is to the point where it won't regulate accurately, so I just run it "on" (as opposed to thermostat control; auto on/auto off).  But what do you want for under twenty bucks?  I'd buy a fourth in a heartbeat if I needed it.
Top Top