Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 3:11:50 PM EDT
It seems like there are a lot of people who feel completely disenfranchised today. They don’t think their vote matters for squat. And as long as people keep believing that then they are right. But the truth is that even a small group of political activists can have a huge impact on any election. In fact, a mere 1% of the population could gain virtual total control of the nation quite easily.

If a politician has any chance to win an election he needs money and he needs volunteers. The money buys advertising and pays the expenses for signs and rallies. The volunteers do the work and are just as essential to a campaign as money is.

Now, imagine that 1% of the population really cares about an issue. There are 300 million people in the United States. So, one percent of the population is 3 million people. But some people are poor, some are housewives, some are children, some work constantly. Fair enough, lets reduce that 3 million down to one million to account for all of that.

If one million people give $1,000 a year to a cause, then they have collectively donated a billon dollars. A thousand dollars a year sounds like a lot of money, and it is in a way. But, there are plenty of people who spend more than $1,000 a year on cable TV.

And, many of the people who are in the worst position to donate money are in the best position to donate time. Volunteers (properly directed) are just as essential as money is to a campaign.

Federal elections are held every two years so that would mean this 1% could donate $2 billion every election cycle… And what does that get you? Well, the combined (Democrat and Republican) cost of the 2004 Federal elections was just under 2 billion. That means 1% of the people could outspend every PAC, every corporation, every environmental group, every billionare, and every individual combined. This 1% would completely own American politics. And that’s before counting on the effect of a million volunteers.

The problem is getting the 1% to believe they can do something and then to act on that belief.

I assume that everyone here enjoys shooting sports and wants to keep firearms legal. We spend thousands of dollars every year on our hobby. Many of us here believe firearm ownership is also a civic duty and a basic human right. Yet many of us feel helpless to stop a future tide of gun control laws, and we aren’t.

I’m not advocating forming any super organizations. There are plenty of established pro gun lobbying groups in existence already. Besides, organizations need leadership and that leadership eventually comes to love leading more than they love the cause they are supposedly fighting for.

What I’m suggesting is this.

First, Everyone should pick a pro gun lobby or two that they agree with and donate money to them on a regular basis. Just write a check for $20.00 or so every time you pay the cable bill. Just about everyone should be able to afford that.

Second, if your Representative and Senators are pro-gun then thank them for their support and donate a decent amount to their campaign. A check for $100.00 with a note thanking them for their support of the Second Amendment would do a lot to help the cause.

If your Representative or Senators are anti gun then you should actively support anyone that runs against them who is even slightly better on the issue. You should also volunteer to work on the campaign.

A typical Congressional campaign opposing a sitting Congressman won’t attract that many volunteers. That means as a volunteer you will likely be on a first name basis with the candidate. If a couple dozen pro gun volunteers are his main supporters then he’s not likely to ever vote for gun control.

And if he looses, which is likely, then at least the Congressman he was running against will know that supporting gun control will earn him a lot of political enemies.

The third thing to do is to be willing to donate money to campaigns in other districts where your money might make a real impact. If an anti gun politician is in a tight race them send money to his opponent. And, while you’re at it, send a letter to the anti gun politician explaining why you sent the money to his opponent. One letter might not mean much but several hundred sure would.

Fourth, try to get other gun owners to join in. One person alone can’t really do all that much, but a few hundred or a few thousand can make a real difference.

Congressional elections are coming up and if we all act now we can stamp out gun control for years to come.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
An excellent post, too bad many people are going to be asking for the Cliff Notes version
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You get the government you deserve. Look at the money NRA raises every year 30 bucks at a time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Great post. This needs to spread further than the General Discussion area of ar15.com, however.

I've long felt that our "movement" as it were, has been hampered by a lack of leadership. There are too many visions, and too many disparate efforts.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Excellent post.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Well said.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:07:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Bump because it is a great post
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#7]
The best post i have read in a long time.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:29:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn good post, if we are willing to put $4K a year into a Roth IRA for our financial future, why not $500 a year for our political future, I'm in!  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:40:03 AM EDT
[#9]
great post.  so um, NRA, GOA, or JPFO?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:26:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Excelent post, but, IME "challenge" people to do one or more of the possible "contributions" then report back here WHO they supported, when, and HOW.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:28:00 AM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:31:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I really wish Ronnie would team up with Ted to be the forefront leaders on gun rights. I think those two would make a very powerful team. I also think Ronnie could get alot of other manufacturers behind him if he put his name out there.

Thats what I would like to see. Ronnie and Ted. That would be a very powerful combination indeed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:33:14 AM EDT
[#13]
One of the hardest things I have ever tried is to get people who have traditionally not been active in the political life of our nation involved and passionate about the causes they support. Their indifference is literally allowing their nation to be stolen from underneath them.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:19:22 AM EDT
[#14]
He's right.   I especially liked the part about writing the opposition ant telling him/her/it why you contributed to the other.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I am not well-off but I make sure to fund the NRA (especially NRA-PVF), and politicians who are friendly to us.  I sent $$$ top a bunch of good senate candidates in 2004 and most of them won.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#16]
BTT!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:18:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
BTT!!

+1
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#18]
well stated - just look at how much power the homosexuals have to promote their agenda

even is Massachusetts, if most of the voters understood what the MA congretional delegation really stood for, there would be change. But instead, the 1% elite controls things so that they don't
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Very true.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#20]
The amount of apathy for gun issues here is disheartening.

When you fuckers are lining up to toss your defensive arms and family heirlooms into the incinerator, please don't bitch.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
the Cliff Notes version

/\
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I agree!

With that said, I am 25 years old and just getting into the position of being able to attempt to influence politics.  I intend on doing anything/everything I can.  Let's face it, 1k a year should not be a problem to most people.  Just save $80 per month, and there ya go!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Great post.
James
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the post.

-K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top