Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2015 11:17:04 PM EDT
Is it legal to take, for example a .308 FMJ hollow point and screw a small stainless steel screw directly in the middle of the round and if so, what would its armor piercing capabilities be like? Again not too sure about the legality of this, I know some rounds like the XM855 are perfectly legal but other rounds like the m61 are not but are perfectly legal to own so this has me wondering.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:18:24 PM EDT
If someone gets shot with it, are they screwed?

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:19:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rosenrot:
Is it legal to take, for example a .308 FMJ hollow point and screw a small stainless steel screw directly in the middle of the round and if so, what would its armor piercing capabilities be like? Again not too sure about the legality of this, I know some rounds like the XM855 are perfectly legal but other rounds like the m61 are not but are perfectly legal to own so this has me wondering.
View Quote

Constructive intent if you even own a stainless steel screw. 20 years PMITA prison if you own any HP rounds while in position of stainless steel fasteners (dome head only but not socket head).

Galvanized are not included because they're softer.

Don't take any chances. Have this thread nuked.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:20:17 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Smashy:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:21:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2015 11:23:26 PM EDT by glorifiedG]

View Quote

Legal to do what with? Shoot watermelons? Why not. Shh
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:22:52 PM EDT
Why don't you write a letter to the ATF about it, and report back?

tc2k11
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:23:01 PM EDT
This shit is a special kind of stupid. OP, you're acting like a 13'er
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:23:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2015 11:27:46 PM EDT by NVCapCop]
There was an ammo manufacturer in the 1980s who made pistol ammo with an inverted screw inside the bullet.
I remember some chambered in .380 ACP. Black colored bullet with painted red tips.
eta: They might have been called "Omni-Shock" ammo
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:23:22 PM EDT
Winchester used to make a hollow point .25ACP bullet with a steel BB in the nose to provide improved feeding. Dont know if they changed the BB to lead or just discontinued it all togather.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:23:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Lomshek:

Constructive intent if you even own a stainless steel screw. 20 years PMITA prison if you own any HP rounds while in position of stainless steel fasteners (dome head only but not socket head).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

So there are laws covering this? The whole AP ammo thing is confusing to me, I know you can own the stuff but its not longer commercially available? I was looking on Gun Broker and seen M61 is still for sale, do you have a source for this?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:23:52 PM EDT

View Quote
Lol, bada dump
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:25:42 PM EDT
FPNI.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:26:26 PM EDT
A stainless screw isn't going to do shit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:29:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2015 11:31:04 PM EDT by Jeepinjoe17]
It depends on whether the screw is left or right-hand threaded and whether it's Phillips or flat-head.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:30:12 PM EDT
Interesting thought however this brings additional risk of the screw lodging in the barrel. Not worth the risk.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:31:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Jeepinjoe17:
It depends on whether the screw is left or right-hand threaded and Phillips or flat-head.
View Quote

That and you have to yell "screw you" before every shot, per regs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:34:59 PM EDT
I put some short pieces of TIG welding tungsten in some hollowed out .22 ammo. and shot some mild steel plate with it. Didn't do much.

Cigarette lighter flints put into opened up .22 hollow points make a fine shower of sparks when it hits metal.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:36:35 PM EDT
that would add weight to the projectile, usually heavier projectiles require a lower powder charge, so it could make any such round over pressure which means kabooom!
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:37:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:
that would add weight to the projectile, usually heavier projectiles require a lower powder charge, so it could make any such round over pressure which means kabooom!
View Quote

It could mean kabooom, or nothing at all.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:38:08 PM EDT
It depends on whether the screw is left or right-hand threaded and whether it's Phillips or flat-head.
View Quote

You would also need to consider the direction of the rifling. Get that wrong and the screw will back out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:38:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tc2k11:
Why don't you write a letter to the ATF about it, and report back?

tc2k11
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:47:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hobbsar:

You would also need to consider the direction of the rifling. Get that wrong and the screw will back out.
View All Quotes

Yeah that's what I was getting at. If you don't match the screw threads with the rifling, the screw backs out and you've suddenly got a barrel full of hardware and that's just bad for everybody. I've seen it happen.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:48:32 PM EDT
nah OP, get some tungsten rods, either burned out concrete bits or tungsten welding rods or something, bore out the proper diameter and depth in the base of your projectile, , make sure it's perfectly centered so as not to kill accuracy, glue in place with epoxy or jb weld or solder or I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about and... profit?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:53:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Pangea:
I put some short pieces of TIG welding tungsten in some hollowed out .22 ammo. and shot some mild steel plate with it. Didn't do much.

Cigarette lighter flints put into opened up .22 hollow points make a fine shower of sparks when it hits metal.
View Quote

Do you, by any chance, have a copy of "The Poor Man's James Bond" lying around?

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:54:02 PM EDT
View Quote

I can't speak on the armor piercing capabilities of a hollow point bullet with a steel screw but firearm and toolmark examiners use screws in HP bullets during casework.

The screws are used to plug the HP and prevent bullet deformation when the bullets are fired into a water recovery tank. Therefore a pristine, fired, HP bullet can be examined. The powder charge does need to be adjusted to compensate for the increased bullet weight.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:01:00 AM EDT
They worked well in Dune. Could penetrate personal shields.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:02:29 AM EDT

View All Quotes

stainless is softer than galvanized carbon steel
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:04:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Remman:
A stainless screw isn't going to do shit.
View Quote

Yup.

Has to be a hardened ARP fastener before it will do shit.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:08:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By StevenH:
Winchester used to make a hollow point .25ACP bullet with a steel BB in the nose to provide improved feeding. Dont know if they changed the BB to lead or just discontinued it all togather.
View Quote
it was called Pellet Point , now called expanding point
they still make it part X25AXP
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:08:35 AM EDT
It will screw with the bullet flight characteristic properties

You're better off putting a BB in the hollowpoint
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:16:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2015 12:17:58 AM EDT by SageEBR]
Steel is forbidden in handgun bullets.

That said,

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1721610_Why_not_make_some_legal_handgun_AP_to_get_the_BATFE_back_for_7N6_and_M855__Results_on_pgs_4__5__and_6_.html

ETA: and yes, the BATFE considers .308 to be a handgun bullet because they are functionally retarded.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:27:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Cytic:

I can't speak on the armor piercing capabilities of a hollow point bullet with a steel screw but firearm and toolmark examiners use screws in HP bullets during casework.

The screws are used to plug the HP and prevent bullet deformation when the bullets are fired into a water recovery tank. Therefore a pristine, fired, HP bullet can be examined. The powder charge does need to be adjusted to compensate for the increased bullet weight.
View All Quotes

why would they do this when FMJ bullets are readily available and don't expand at all? The rifling marks from a HP and FMJ projectile would be the same if shot from the same barrel
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:28:22 AM EDT

View Quote

Mind....blown...
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:34:38 AM EDT

So there are laws covering this? The whole AP ammo thing is confusing to me, I know you can own the stuff but its not longer commercially available? I was looking on Gun Broker and seen M61 is still for sale, do you have a source for this?
View All Quotes

Ho Lee Fuk
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:35:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SageEBR:

That said,

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1721610_Why_not_make_some_legal_handgun_AP_to_get_the_BATFE_back_for_7N6_and_M855__Results_on_pgs_4__5__and_6_.html

ETA: and yes, the BATFE considers .308 to be a handgun bullet because they are functionally retarded.
View Quote

So if I wrote them a letter asking "what the number yellow tastes like?"

They would reply "potato?"
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:37:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By uglygun:

View All Quotes

That said,

Only if it had a sig brace on it, if you added in shoestrings they will probably declare yellow a machinegun and start confiscating bees.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:37:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2015 12:38:39 AM EDT by Lomshek]
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:

Dude just roll with it.

And it depends on which stainless anyway.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:40:58 AM EDT

View All Quotes

That said,

This is getting stupid. Everyone knows the number yellow tastes like chicken.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:44:32 AM EDT
Yeah that's what I was getting at. If you don't match the screw threads with the rifling, the screw backs out and you've suddenly got a barrel full of hardware and that's just bad for everybody. I've seen it happen.
View All Quotes

Rifling twist vs. thread pitch. It isn't going to back out.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:25:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ABNglocker:
View Quote

I take offense to that. He's actually acting like a 06'er....actually.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:39:42 AM EDT

View All Quotes

Beside being STUPID as fuck, I don't think it's illegal. Stainless steel screws are too soft to be armor piercing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:41:03 AM EDT

View Quote

What?

Tula and Wolf and others make 9mm and 45 acp and other round with steel in them. Not sure if its a core or a jacket, but it has steel.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:53:03 AM EDT

View All Quotes

Why don't they just shoot a FMJ bullet?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:17:55 AM EDT
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:19:29 AM EDT
America, the land of the free, unless it's illegal then you go to jail.

FBHO
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:50:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Mister44:

What?

Tula and Wolf and others make 9mm and 45 acp and other round with steel in them. Not sure if its a core or a jacket, but it has steel.
View All Quotes

What?

Yes they have a thin copper coated steel jacket but the steel in the core of the bullet is what the BATF cares about, not the jacket - there is a different definition for how much the jacket of a bullet can weigh before it is "Armor piercing". Also, per what some people are saying it doesn't matter that it is too soft to be AP or that this idea wouldn't actually make a bullet AP, only that it is a material that the law calls out as bad. I believe that most of this is covered in detail in the linked thread above.

The federal law (i. is the one they abuse the hell out of by saying any tiny percentage of steel in the main part of a bullet is a separate "core", which is bullshit):

(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:55:40 AM EDT
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:04:42 AM EDT
You got it wrong.

Not the screws ...

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:04:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2015 10:10:03 AM EDT by bob1946]

Beside being STUPID as fuck, I don't think it's illegal. Stainless steel screws are too soft to be armor piercing.
View All Quotes

The law isn't based on a projectile's ability to penetrate armor, it is all about bullet construction. If you made a bullet out of a non existent super soft steel that couldn't penetrate a 2x4 it would still be illegal in a "pistol cartridge".

ETA: Let's not forget the ATF went after copper solids in some calibers because they claimed the traces of zinc in the copper made the bullets brass.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:18:35 AM EDT
Something not mentioned, yet; Screwing a screw into the bullet will enlarge the diameter. So not only are you increasing weight, you're also increasing diameter likely causing an extreme over pressure situation for no reason.

The idea is retarded.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:49:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2015 10:50:52 AM EDT by bob1946]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:
Something not mentioned, yet; Screwing a screw into the bullet will enlarge the diameter. So not only are you increasing weight, you're also increasing diameter likely causing an extreme over pressure situation for no reason.

The idea is retarded.
View Quote

Oversized bullets aren't much of a problem. I forget if it was Townsend or Whelen who reamed a 30-06 chamber to take a 35 caliber bullet, fired a 35 caliber bullet through 30 caliber barrel and found it didn't appreciably raise chamber pressure. Ruger even used .308 barrels on the Mini 30.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top