Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2003 11:16:17 PM EDT
Heh heh.

[img]http://web.axelero.hu/szlejer2/squib.jpg[/img]

Stole this from HKPro, I hope the guy doesn't mind.  The guy said this was a from a customer's gun sent back to B&T (Swiss MP5 clones, good ones).

I suspect that it's a test bbl that they purposely plugged to test a 'what if?' scenario.  Either way it's pretty interesting.

If it really is a customer's gun, what do you think was going through his mind at the range when this occurred???
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I dunno, but I have a friend with a Class III MAC that had this happen and I can tell you what HE thought.  "Oh shit!".....as the cyclic rate suddenly sped up and then the backplate blew off and whizzed past his face.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:14:05 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as that pic goes I don't know. A squib is normally the fake gunshot pack (a small explosive with a blood pack to simulate a wound) used in movies.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:56:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Squib is actually "squid" spelled by a dyslexic person! Haha.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:49:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:36:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it's a small/young pigeon....err, wait, that's squab Never mind
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:49:55 AM EDT
[#6]
During room entry drills with simmunitions, the girl in front of me (the first person into the room) layed into a target with about six rounds. It was only about 10 feet away and she never hit it. The instructor came unglued and screamed at her for about two minutes. I checked her gun ( and fired two rounds) and found that all the rounds were still in the barrel. It took a punch and a lot of force to get all eight rounds out of the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:32:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A "squib" is also the term used for the small explosive charge which releases the extinguisher agent on aircraft fire bottles.

Not to be confused with me....."quib".
View Quote

Exactly!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:37:09 AM EDT
[#8]
A squib is also a sea monster.  Nemo's submarine in "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" was attacked by a giant squib.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:53:41 AM EDT
[#9]
An example of an Aircraft fire extinguisher:

[img]http://www.kiddeaerospace.com/titanium.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:03:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
An example of an Aircraft fire extinguisher:

[url]http://www.kiddeaerospace.com/titanium.jpg[/url]
View Quote

No, that's a Sputnik you bought for $25,000, correct? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:26:42 AM EDT
[#11]
The term squib is normally used to describe an initiator in an explsive device or in a rocket/missile motor.

They are usually electrically fired.  Sometimes they are also used to start up one-shot electric battery power supplies in say...nuclear weapons.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:43:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If it really is a customer's gun, what do you think was going through his mind at the range when this occurred???
View Quote

I'd say that he/she's lucky that the bolt didn't go through their mind.

I saw a ruger 10/22 barrel cutaway that looked similar to that back years ago. Scarry.

BTW, squibs are easy to make. I have made them with my son years ago for the sake of his inquisitiveness. We had a model rocket that FTF so we made some souped up squibs that were sure fire. That experiment led to others that were a little more potent. Potent enough to use as initiating charges for blasting rocks on our sidehill property.

Start with a piece of thin wire as in one strand of wire from an old extension cord. Fold it into a V and use masking tape to "insulate all but the three ends. Using a paste of blackpowder, make a ball no bigger than 1/4 inch or less. Depending on what you want to do with it. Mash the wet ball of blackpowder paste onto the V end and let dry completely. Once dry coat with epoxy or paint. You have a squib that will initiate a model rocket or anything else [;D] you might want to pop.

Remember, It's all fun and games till somebody loses an eye!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:04:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Squib is actually "squid" spelled by a [red]dyslexic[/red] person! Haha.
View Quote

<----- HEY!!!!!

CHRIS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top