Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 4:30:20 PM EDT
any worthwhile programs out there that remove spyware without having to pay for activation?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome KS mate.

AdAware, Spybot and Microsoft's Spyware Remover are 3 good programs that are free.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The best medicine is always prevention.  Know what you're downloading and be sure of it's source.

Adaware and Ewido are pretty good too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Microsoft Windows Defender (Beta 2) is worth a try.  The price is right, free.

www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

A free program that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software. It features Real-Time Protection, a monitoring system that recommends actions against spyware when it's detected, and a new streamlined interface that minimizes interruptions and helps you stay productive.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#5]
  Here is the link to Download.com's spyware center:
www.download.com/Spyware-Center/2001-2023_4-0.html?tag=nav_dir
First, I highly recommend you read as much as possible in this area. There are several informative articles here, as well as links to downloads you will need and some you don't need.
I have tried all of the anti-spyware programs they have in this area, and recommend the following free programs:

Ad-aware se
Spy-bot search and destroy

The first does exactly what it sounds like. It removes ad-ware. Spy-bot removes spyware but also inspects other areas of your computer, including the registry, for abnormalities. It also has a great little utility called tea timer which monitors your system for changes and asks if you approve of these changes.
I also like Spy Sweeper, which you need to purchase after 14 days, however it has found spyware on my computer that the others haven't. If you don't  want to spend the money on it, the other two do a very good job and should afford you a comfortable level of security. Most of the other Anti-spyware programs listed there, I have found, either are not very user friendly, didn't seem to find much spyware or verge on being spyware themselves.
  That covers spyware locating and removal. Next you will need to install a good firewall to prevent unauthorized access to and from your computer. Without one, getting on the Internet is a lot like playing Russian roulette with your computer. I don't know about you, but I cant afford to buy a new one or pay a geek hundreds of dollars because some hacker thought it would be fun to see how many computers he could kill. For this task, pretty much everybody agrees, that Zone Alarm is one of the best personal firewall out there, and its FREE!
  Next you need to consider protecting your hosts file from hijackers. To do this you will want to download Win-Patrol from Bill P Studios. This free program will monitor your system and alert you with a pop-up window if any program tries to make changes to your home page, hosts file and other key files in your O.S. All you have to do is answer yes or no to allow these changes. E.g. if you have installed a new program you would want to answer yes. However, if you didn't initiate anything you would want to answer no (similar to tea timer). It also lets you know exactly what programs and processes are running or installed on your computer and gives you the ability to control them. You can also disable programs that automatically run at start up but do not need to.(many programs automatically install themselves in your start up folder unnecessarily which can slow down start up and shutdown time as well as other programs).
  Not done quite yet. One of the other key factors in slowing down computers is not cleaning out unnecessary files,such as temp, history, IE temp, memory dump etc.on a regular basis. To simplify this task I use Window Washer. It is a small application that runs in the background and can be programed to wash at shutdown or whenever you want. Also if you want to make files unrecoverable, you can add "bleach", which overwrites files with random data.This program costs $30.00 to buy. However, you don't have to renew it every year to have it remain useful. I personally run it every time I get off the Internet for the day. To date it has recovered 9.5Gb. of disk space!
    Well, that should about keep you safe. I know it sounds like alot, but considering that your computer is a big investment, I'd say it's worth every little bite.(pun intended)

Hope this was helpful.

ETA: A good anti-virus program (I like Norton) is also a must.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Great help guys!  This gives me alot to work with.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]
The best medicine is always prevention. Know what you're downloading and be sure of it's source.

Sorry, but that is very naive.  You can pick up spyware without "downloading".  Some spyware is installed without your knowledge, "driveby installs".  You can get spyware and trojans just clicking on a link, looking at a website.

Choppahead has very good advice.   I personally use the free version (not "Pro") of Zonealarm.  This is a software firewall.  Plus, I use (and update and run) Spybot Search & Destroy AND Adaware twice a week.  These three programs are FREE.

Even though Window Washer costs a few bucks, it is an excellent tool.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The best medicine is always prevention. Know what you're downloading and be sure of it's source.

Sorry, but that is very naive.  You can pick up spyware without "downloading".  Some spyware is installed without your knowledge, "driveby installs".  You can get spyware and trojans just clicking on a link, looking at a website.

Choppahead has very good advice.   I personally use the free version (not "Pro") of Zonealarm.  This is a software firewall.  Plus, I use (and update and run) Spybot Search & Destroy AND Adaware twice a week.  These three programs are FREE.

Even though Window Washer costs a few bucks, it is an excellent tool.

I don't want to get into an argument about it.  But from my experience, anti-virus will normally stop drive bys; trojans; and malevolent code.  I find a lot of spyware piggy backs onto regular programs.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top