Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2012 1:24:26 PM EDT
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443995604578002751421246848.html

excerpt - Danny Lee Hormann suspected his wife was having an affair. So the 46-year-old Minnesota man installed spying software on his wife's cellphone and the family computer, and stuck a GPS device to her car, letting him follow her to a lakeside cabin one night.

"It was awful," says Michele Mathias, his 51-year-old ex-wife, who denies cheating on him. She says she was so worried about her husband's spying that she and her children searched their garage for cameras and held whispered conversations on the lawn in case he was recording indoors. "It wasn't just invasion of my privacy. It was an invasion of the privacy of everyone who ever texted me or anyone who was ever on my computer."

(what happened at the Cabin...?)
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I know a couple who divorced not long ago.  

I think - but have largely kept to myself because I can't prove - that his efforts to keep tabs on her once he began to distrust her may have pushed her, so that his suspicions became self-fulfilling prophecies.

I do not know this for sure, to be honest. But I suspect it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Dammit, I refuse to make a username to read a G-D news story... I hate this crap.

Sounds interesting. I know that there are some here who have suggested using this sort of stuff to confirm suspicions when spouses have been thought to cheat. My question is whether that's legal or not in one's own home, even if you're trying to catch the OTHER person?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#3]
What's his screen name?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#4]
used "find my iphone" app to track a cheating woman, also found out she was cheating on the guy she was cheating with with a past BF as well :)..... lol
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Most cheaters start with a separate cell phone. Keeps spouses from checking call history and reviewing itemized phone bills.

GPS jammers are readily had on ebay, plug into any cigarette lighter. You can't use your Tom-Tom with one, but for $30 it's cheap insurance. I know of divorce attorneys that hand them out like party favors to clients.

Nanny cams? Yeah, they're out there and there are some doozies. But then most people now already have camcorder capability with their cell phones.

Most room  bugs we find now are just Crickett phones set to Silent Ring/Auto Answer/Speaker On. If you can leach the power supply (wall charger) into the existing house wiring or hide it into a spare plug behind a couch or desk, you never have to service it either.

James Bond has come to the masses.

ETA: and unless you're name is muhammed, the FBI couldn't care less if you found a bug your spouse planted on you or your phone, so don't ask.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dammit, I refuse to make a username to read a G-D news story... I hate this crap.

Sounds interesting. I know that there are some here who have suggested using this sort of stuff to confirm suspicions when spouses have been thought to cheat. My question is whether that's legal or not in one's own home, even if you're trying to catch the OTHER person?

Private investigator here. Not very well versed in marital cases, mostly insurance which is a different ball game. Privacy laws are the same, though I don't spy in the same places as a domestic investigator.

My thoughts:

1) The car GPS tracker was completely legal, assuming his name was on the title, even if hers also was. GPS tracking of a moveable only requires the consent of one owner. It's gray area, but is currently legal enough.

2) Video recording within the house (since he owns it) should be legal assuming he's not putting cameras in a place where folks would be expected to get naked (bathrooms, maybe even bedrooms.) if he put in in bath/bed rooms he may violate video voyerism laws. Not 100% positive since I don't do domestic cases.

3) it depends on the state, but audio recording was most likely not legal. In every state I know of at least one, and sometimes all, parties of a conversation need to consent to recording. Again, the legalities could be different since it was in his home. Not sure since I don't do this type of work.

4) I have no idea on the computer/phone stuff, but pretty sure it was illegal.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Interferring with an electronic communication device in my state is a Felony.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#8]
GPS blockers, like cell phone jammers, are illegal to use in the US.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:29:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
GPS blockers, like cell phone jammers, are illegal to use in the US.

Yeah, but it's pretty hard to get caught.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Why go to all the trouble?

If you no longer trust your spouse then it's time to walk away.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why go to all the trouble?

If you no longer trust your spouse then it's time to walk away.

Not only that, but what does it get you?   No Fault divorces are the norm...so even if the Spouse you're checking on is having a gang-bang every day when you go to work...you still don't gain anything in the divorce...

AFARR
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Saw a real fancy device one time, it was a wireless microphone that was set-up in a wall socket, hooked right into the power and could last virtually forever.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I once got into my wife's email account when she left it open, so I went searching for any juice I could find, current or past.  The fact that I couldn't find a single bad email going back before our marriage made me feel like a real ass hole.  

I'll value my wife's privacy, and snooping when she doesn't give me any indication of lying is bad karma.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I once got into my wife's email account when she left it open, so I went searching for any juice I could find, current or past.  The fact that I couldn't find a single bad email going back before our marriage made me feel like a real ass hole.  

I'll value my wife's privacy, and snooping when she doesn't give me any indication of lying is bad karma.

So she's as good at cleaning up her inbox as she is at cleaning up the house?

On why you should spy instead of walking away from an untrusted spouse, it's all about asset protection. Might as well gather evidence while they still think you trust them. However, the spying is best left to a professional. If one item of evidence you submit was unlawfully obtained, you run the risk of having it all thrown out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top