Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2003 2:25:19 PM EDT
I bought a Springfield Armory XD-9 and V-12 ported 1911A1 pistol and am absolutely amazed at the lack of Springfield Armory's quality control. The first 20 rds I shot out of the XD-9 the front sight flew of. Luckily..the retailer I bought it from replaced the gun. I have not even shot the V-12 and the back sight comes right out of the dovetail slot. Unfortunately..The retailer was online and can/will not replace it! WHAT IS HAPPENING?

I'll let both go for under cost if someone wants to fix the rear sight on the V-12. The XD is a new replacement but I have to sell as is because I no longer trust S.A. Both guns are New and unfired.

I am going to stick with my Glocks!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a common topic over at www.1911forums.com

Kimber is no better, much less Smith and Wesson.

They spend all that money for "American Quality" and the reality is that they are no better than the 1911's from the Philippines that cost half as much.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you know that SA has their 1911's made in Brazil then they finish them here.  Most of the stuff they have is just finished here, parts are made else where, over seas.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#3]
IVe heard of someone having the same problem with their XD subcompact on the XD boards. Ive had my XD9 for half a year now and no problems. I still think its made better than a glock.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
XD-9, 500+ rounds and the gun I can hit the target quickest and most consistantly with.  It's been flawless.

SA Ultra-Compact, flawless but it's only had a 150 or so rounds through it so far.

M1A Scout 300+ rounds, accurate and no problems.

The sound you hear is me knocking on wood.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ive had my XD9 for half a year now and no problems. I still think its made better than a glock.

It may be made as well as a Glock but it isn't better than a Glock.

I'm no fan of plastic guns but I bought a Glock for the wife and it became my primary weapon. The precision & simplicity just plain work. Frankly, I'll take box stock Glock to any over the counter 1911's on the market. 1000's of rounds thru the Glock too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ive had my XD9 for half a year now and no problems. I still think its made better than a glock.

In what respects?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Should have bought a Sig. You'd be out shooting it now instead of crying to us on the net.

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Aside from not having a quality finish on the reciever such as the tenifer coating on the glocks, the XD has a much bulkier steel guide that looks to be machined. Im talking about the guide that the reciever slides on. ON the glock its a stamped peice of thin steel. Look at both of them side by side with the receivers off and you'll see what I mean. Also the XD has the grip safety, ambidexterous mag release, an indicator when the firing pin is cocked and an indicator for when there is a round in the chamber. You get more for your money IMO. Glocks are great guns though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're looking for a good 1911, SA and Kimber should be excluded from the possibilities, IMHO.  My first choice for an inexpensive 1911 would be a used Colt.  If you want a really good one, WC CQB or Protector, or LB TRS or Premier II.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you're looking for a good 1911, SA and Kimber should be excluded from the possibilities, IMHO.  My first choice for an inexpensive 1911 would be a used Colt.  If you want a really good one, WC CQB or Protector, or LB TRS or Premier II.

I wouldn't bother with a Wilson or Les Baer.  The reports I hear on them from Gunsite are worse than the Kimbers and Springfields.  For $2k I'll have a custom gun built from the ground up thanks.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i would beg to differ
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i would beg to differ

Awe, don't beg, you're just going to embarass yourself and your knees will get all dirty.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Well that is besides the point know isn't mister Az. I am not crying...more like pounding!

Quoted:
Should have bought a Sig. You'd be out shooting it now instead of crying to us on the net.

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I dont know about the V-12 but my new Champion has a Novak drop in rear sight. Its made to be adjusted with an allen wrench and finger pressure. It also fell off (once in the middle of an IDPA match)A drop of Loc-Tite fixed it right up.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I think your making a mountain out of a molehill. Humans make mistakes. ITs just a front site. Send it back to the manufacturuer or take the sight out, coat it with red threadlock and put it back in.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#16]
No it is not "just a front sight". If you read the original post it is a front sight on one and a rear sight on the other both from the same MFG. I will make a goddamn mountain range out of a grain of salt when it comes to MY money and a shitty product. Things are always different when it is happening to someone else. If you bought a Colt python and a Colt 1911 and the sights on BOTH of them came off you would be raising stink to. I am not sending it back because I no longer care to own these.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Gimme a Walther P99 in .40 S&W anytime before you give me an XD or Glock!

WALTHER P99 EXCEPT NO TUPPERWARE SUBSTITUTE!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:03:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Springfield has been having problems with the Novaks for a while now. A lot of peole, myself included, had to send their 1911s back because the rear sight was loose in the dovetail. Springfield says clean it with alcohol and use locktite or some BS, but that's doesn't always work either. The sight is simply cut too small for the dovetail. And that little screw doesn't hold it in worth a shit. Anyway, I guess the frames and slides are made in Brazil, so who the hell knows what the deal is.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:43:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Let me put it to you this way,  If you did not pay about $100 less for the XD, you got ripped. Given that, if SA will stand behind their product and fix it or replace it (which you said they will), maybe you should give the XD a try. I have a XD-40 and it is one of the best pistols I have.  

Just a thought.  But I don't blame you for being upset.  I work hard for my money too, and you should not have to deal with these problems.  But, we do, with all the brands.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Well: I put some locktite on it and all is well. Gun is fixed but that doesn't change the principle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#21]
FYI XD's are not made in the US.  They are made in Croatia and used to go by the name HS2000 before Springfield put their stamp on them.

I have an XD-9 as my CCW and have peronsally been very impressed (2000 rnds so far).  The most common complaint seems to be the shitty finish though... luckly I got a stainless bi-tone.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a Springfield lightweight 5" that I'd trust my life to.  And I do, it's my CCW piece.  What's this about the Novaks loosening?  Mine's tight as a junior on prom night.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#23]
IM sent
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Bought a Springfield Ultra Compact this summer.  Springfield said they would stand behind it with a lifetime warrenty. So far it's been back twice and it still doesn't digest hollow points reliably. How many times am I going to send it back? I always liked 1911's but I'm seriously thinking about trading it in for a Glock 30.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#25]
my older brother just got a 1911 A1 springfield, and it is made in brazil, it is stamped on the frame, IMBEL BRAZIL, this is good news for the owners, imbel is an awesome manufacturer, and these guns will be a great foundation for ant gun, his shoots pretty good too
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Wow- my little 9x18 Makarov is sounding better and better all the time. Works all the time, no FTF/sight issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top