Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2009 7:01:26 AM EDT
My car holds 7.7 quarts total of transmission fluid.

3.2 quarts comes out of the transmission drain plug.

I do not want to drop the tranny pan as there is no filter per se. The screen is cleaned via reverse flow when the drain plug is taken off.

I want to drain out the 3.2 qts and refill with 3.2 qts.

I used to see a spreadsheet that would tell me how many 3.2 quart drains it would take to reach a certain % of new fluid.

Anyone have any formula to figure this out?

ETA: In before the "just use a drain and flush machine".
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My car holds 7.7 quarts total of transmission fluid.

3.2 quarts comes out of the transmission drain plug.

I do not want to drop the tranny pan as there is no filter per se. The screen is cleaned via reverse flow when the drain plug is taken off.

I want to drain out the 3.2 qts and refill with 3.2 qts.

I used to see a spreadsheet that would tell me how many 3.2 quart drains it would take to reach a certain % of new fluid.

Anyone have any formula to figure this out?

ETA: In before the "just use a drain and flush machine".

Might be easier?

Travis

Link Posted: 8/5/2009 7:32:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Assuming it's 50/50 the first time which is a little high, your talking about 5times to get to 95%. That's 16 qts. You might as well just pay the $100 to get it done professionally.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, you're putting in 41% new fluid each time you drain and flush 3.2 quarts.

First drain/fill = 41% new fluid and 59% old

Second = 0.41 x 0.59 = 24%

Third = 0.41 x  0.24 = 10%%

Fourth = 0.41 x 0.10 = 4%

Fifth = 0.41 x 0.04 = 2%

etc.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#4]
3.2 quarts out of 7.7 quarts is a bit under 50%.  Exactly 3.2/7.7.  Or 41.59% new oil.  If you were to do another 3.2 quart replacement, 41.59% of that drained oil will be the new oil you just replaced.  

This is a serial dilution Keep running the math.  You will never get 100% changed.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 7:38:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
3.2 quarts out of 7.7 quarts is a bit under 50%.  Exactly 3.2/7.7.  Or 41.59% new oil.  If you were to do another 3.2 quart replacement, 41.59% of that drained oil will be the new oil you just replaced.  

This is a serial dilution Keep running the math.  You will never get 100% changed.

Yes, it hits an asymptotic limit, in mathermatical terms.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 7:38:38 AM EDT
[#6]
The last time I did it, I found a quick lube place that only charged $80 flush and fill the trans with their machine.  When you do that math on the amount of trans fluid you'll waste, and consider the time and grief involved in doing multiple manual fill and drains yourself, it makes sense to just go to a quick lube place.

Link Posted: 8/5/2009 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was hoping you'd chime in Keith_J.

That is exactly what I was looking for.

I am going to do a full flush via T-tec at 30000 (Toyota says NO flush is even necessary to 100K, which is BS)

The "refresh" of the 3.2 quarts will be done every 5K when I change the oil.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 7:41:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The last time I did it, I found a quick lube place that only charged $80 flush and fill the trans with their machine.  When you do that math on the amount of trans fluid you'll waste, and consider the time and grief involved in doing multiple manual fill and drains yourself, it makes sense to just go to a quick lube place.  

It is super easy with this car. Don't even have to jack the car up.

1. get under car

2. undo drain plug

3. refill same amount through ATF dipstick after replacing drain plug

4. Shift through P, R, D, I and II.

5. Done!

Total time 15 minutes.  Total cost 3.2 quarts x 4.00 bucks per quart for Toyota TIV fluid.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#9]
do the flush.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top