Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/7/2004 5:05:51 AM EST
What other discussion boards (non gun related) have you asked "gun questions?"

For instance, I'm recently into kayaks. This morning, I asked the fourm members who carries a gun on wilderness kayak trips. Still waiting for replies.

I said I think its ill advised to enter SOMEONE ELSES world without some last resort protection.

What reposnses have you gotten to spreading the gospel of the gun??
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:18:02 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:25:17 AM EST
I have noticed that as well. I am active in a pop-up camper board, as well as a metal detecting board, both boards now know me well as a "gun guy". BUT, it was slowly that I came out, as I want to be an ambassador for the 2nd Amm., not a call to arms for the antis.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:00:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By The_Camp_Ninja:
...it was slowly that I came out, as I want to be an ambassador for the 2nd Amm., not a call to arms for the antis.

I couldn't agree with you more on that statement. It's truely a fine line you have to walk to not come across as a NUT. I always avoid questions about how many guns I own.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:13:25 AM EST
I will not bring up the subject. People don't like being preached to.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:19:36 AM EST
In my other worlds of interests, I never mention that I have guns and that I carry one. It's nobody else's business. I may be a Southern Baptist of the Yankee variety, but I don't like people preaching at me. I got enough of that from both sides in college and in grad school.

Best thing to do is lead by example, and, if I get to know people, slowly bring it up, but feel them out first. People's prejudice and misinfo about guns and gunowners are deep, and their sudden forced calling into question their own prejudices and long-held misinformed beliefs might shake the very foundations they have built their lives on. And that, for most people in suburbia, is a very scary prospect....

If you're gonna rock the boat, rock it s l o w l y.......
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:31:49 AM EST
For clarification, I'm not actually preaching...

I actually asked a question "Who brings a gun when kayaking?"

Then I said "It would seem unwise not to."

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:34:33 AM EST
I notice the gold prospectors on Outdoor network open carry.
Pretty much universally.
Since it is usually large revolvers, I assume they are worried about bears, as much as people.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:38:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By garandman:

Kayakers around where I am are earthy-crunchy, ivory tower, unmarried or married w/ no kids types. I definitely would not mention anything about firearms around them. They are the same people who go to Earth Day festivities, run in road races to support liberal causes and just generally want to keep reality at bay at all times, unless it's a whimsical, lefty variety. Having a gun, esp. on them, reminds them that the world can be a bad place, and that their looney ideas won't save them in their hour of need.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:39:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By 95thFoot:

Originally Posted By garandman:

Kayakers around where I am are earthy-crunchy, ivory tower, unmarried or married w/ no kids types. I definitely would not mention anything about firearms around them. They are the same people who go to Earth Day festivities, run in road races to support liberal causes and just generally want to keep reality at bay at all times, unless it's a whimsical, lefty variety. Having a gun, esp. on them, reminds them that the world can be a bad place, and that their looney ideas won't save them in their hour of need.

preach it brother!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:52:40 AM EST
What is with this fear of talking guns to someone who doesn't shoot.
How do you get new people into the sport?
I talk about guns with people at work all the time, I work in a call center.
When somebody says how bad/un-needed/dangerous they are I invite them to go shooting.
After the fact I politely and usually over a good lunch let them know that they just shot the evil and menacing ar-15, AK-47, and FN-FAL.
Usually they are surprised and express that they thought that the AWB has to do with machine guns.
I covertly convert via exposure.
+ it is usually a great 2nd date.
Especially since most chicks are naturals and enjoy being good at something they have never done.

PREACH ON.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:19:31 AM EST

B-I-N-G-O!!! I agree 110%!!! That's how I think it plays out to a damn "T".
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:36:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By Mordak:

B-I-N-G-O!!! I agree 110%!!! That's how I think it plays out to a damn "T".

That pretty well describes the "new-age-outdoors" type in Colorado as well. Be it kayakers, cliffers rock climbers, bicyclers, mountain walkers, etc.
Top Top