Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/4/2005 7:43:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/4/2005 7:44:22 PM EDT by MisterSuzuki]
Trying to respray a bumper due to a numbnut....base coat came out fine, but when I sprayed the clear coat, its came out almost a dirty white, and looked stringie, and looked like I was spraying Christmas snow on my paint.

I used 3 different airbrushes, same results, using an airbrush compressor, then I switched for a regular air compressor, same results.

I followed the mixing with the hardener according to the label.....so what gives?

Any paint/body pro's?

Tomorrow I'll be wetsanding my mess again, and will respray the base coat again, and buy some more clear coat.....

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:27:22 PM EDT
The clear is going to need a larger gun then an air brush to get the paint to atomize correctly so it lays down smooth. The high solid clears today for base coat/clear coat requier a specific size nozzle and air pressure.

A detail or touch up gun might work, but.........

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=86

I would get a something like this.

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91009

Spider webs, we used to put thick paint in the gun, turn the air pressure down and spray it onto certain areas of a car, then clear it. It was called "cob webbing". It was just like spraying out stings of paint.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:28:44 PM EDT
Water??? Did you have a water seperator on the air tank?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:32:13 PM EDT
Gravity feed guns work much better than bottom feed guns.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:49:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By IYAOYAS:
Water??? Did you have a water seperator on the air tank?

That's a big +1. The only other way it could come out that bad is if it was VERY humid.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:32:05 AM EDT
Thanks......actually, I didn't have a water separator. I picked up a touch up gun, inline filter, and a water separator from Harbor Freight...

I'll try shooting the clear again.....hopefully it'll do it.

Thanks guys!
Top Top