Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2010 10:15:16 AM EDT
Tried this in the 'Optics' section but nary a response.....thought I would try here.

I want a spotting scope and the Konus was recommended unfortunately the missus ignored my 'suggestion' on the Konus and got a Redfield Rampage 676600 20-60x60mm.

Keep it or return and get the Konus?

Mostly I am curious about which of these is better. They are about the same price so money really isn't the issue. I did see that Redfield is now owned by Luepold...which is a good thing and almost tips this towards the Redfield in my mind. But I don't know much about optics.

Thanks,
mike
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#1]
What are you going to be using it for?  Hunting, precision rifles, etc...
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Redfield has a good rep & a long one in rifle scopes. Not sure about their spotters as I've never looked thru one yet. I can't imagine them putting their rep on a POS spotter though, IMO.

I'd give her a pass on this one, IMO. It's not worth getting worked up over.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I need to find one capable of seeing out to 1200-1400 yard.  I have a Target Sports model that is good out to about 600-700, but beyond that it gets blurry and hard to see the hits.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I need to find one capable of seeing out to 1200-1400 yard.  

Boy, you're gonna be up in the Tall Cotton price range for a spotter to see that far, IMO. What scopes are ya looking at, if I might ask?
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I need to find one capable of seeing out to 1200-1400 yard.  I have a Target Sports model that is good out to about 600-700, but beyond that it gets blurry and hard to see the hits.

Probably cheaper to dig some butts and hire a local kid to mark your shots.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Seeing hits at 1400yds would probably be more cost-effective to have a remote camera and monitor.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#7]
The Konus was recommended to me by an NRA high-master as the BUDGET scope to go with.  However, I'd say keep what your wife gave you and tell her how great it is...
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:28:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need to find one capable of seeing out to 1200-1400 yard.  

Boy, you're gonna be up in the Tall Cotton price range for a spotter to see that far, IMO. What scopes are ya looking at, if I might ask?

Really none at the moment.  I have no idea which ones to look at.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:30:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:53:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Konus was recommended to me by an NRA high-master as the BUDGET scope to go with.  However, I'd say keep what your wife gave you and tell her how great it is...

Wisdom.
He has it.

Which of the three on this page would you recommend.  Keep in mind I want to be able to see hits out to 1400 but also as close as 100:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/konus-spotting-scopes-by-price-3.html
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:17:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wisdom.
He has it.

Which of the three on this page would you recommend.  Keep in mind I want to be able to see hits out to 1400 but also as close as 100:

Not qualified to say... sorry.  I will confidently say you're choosing between 80 and 100mm for light gathering.  If you mean see bullet marks at 1400 I don't think it's going to happen.  That same guy told me I wanted to get the biggest Kowa I could afford to see bullet holes at 300.  However for big disks on the perimeter, there are reviews of these scopes at optics planet and...

www.bhphotovideo.com

...its been a while since I shopped but I thought I saw reviews of these products by high power shooters
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wisdom.
He has it.

Not qualified to say... sorry.  I will confidently say you're choosing between 80 and 100mm for light gathering.  If you mean see bullet marks at 1400 I don't think it's going to happen.  That same guy told me I wanted to get the biggest Kowa I could afford to see bullet holes at 300.  However for big disks on the perimeter, there are reviews of these scopes at optics planet and...

www.bhphotovideo.com

...its been a while since I shopped but I thought I saw reviews of these products by high power shooters

Just seeing impact on steel at those distances, not itty bitty holes.

Anyone use, or know anyone who has, one of these:

Read about it here:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-15-45x70-5mp-imageview-spotting-scope-111545.html
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wisdom.

He has it.

Then get a couple eyepieces or an adjustable eyepiece to match the distance you're shooting at.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wisdom.
He has it.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/images/P/200%20PKG.jpg

Then get a couple eyepieces or an adjustable eyepiece to match the distance you're shooting at.

$1300 is a little beyond what I am willing to spend for a spotting scope.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:24:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I spent the money on a Leupold Mark IV spotter with TMR reticle and have NEVER regretted owning it. It is nice.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Best thing to do...tell us your maximum budget and I'll tell you what to pick.

If the sky is the limit, Leica.

Moderate budget, Nikon ED

Budget, Nikon Prostaff or Spotter XL
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Best thing to do...tell us your maximum budget and I'll tell you what to pick.

If the sky is the limit, Leica.

Moderate budget, Nikon ED

Budget, Nikon Prostaff or Spotter XL

I don't know.  Somewhere in the 300-500 range.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A Nikon is what I got for around $425~, FWIW.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A Nikon is what I got for around $425~, FWIW.

Yeah those Nikon Prostaffs are a great value.  Stay away from the Sequoia's.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd go for a Ray-Vin tactical tripod, Konus and learn to read bullet trace.  You're not going to be able to resolve impacts at 1400 unless it's on a reactive or metal target.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd go for a Ray-Vin tactical tripod, Konus and learn to read bullet trace.  You're not going to be able to resolve impacts at 1400 unless it's on a reactive or metal target.

That's what we were shooting at.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#22]
How well were you resolving hits at that distance?

If you're looking for shot placement at-range, that's one thing.  Looking for just impacts is another.

If it's working, I'd call it good.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How well were you resolving hits at that distance?

If you're looking for shot placement at-range, that's one thing.  Looking for just impacts is another.

If it's working, I'd call it good.

The one I was using wasn't worth a crap after about 600 yards or so.  The steel beyond that got blurry.

That's why I am looking for something else.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Looking for trace is pretty easy: don't blink.

You'll be able to compare your successful shots (and their corresponding trajectories) against your unsuccessful ones.
Basically, it helps you call your shots and make corrections to get back on target.

The 20-60x60 is a good start point, you can always upgrade later if you want.  Just don't sell the Redfield... right away.

ETA: I'd find a place with a dusty hillside to help find your impacts.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top