Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 11:23:57 AM EDT
Ok, I finally took my Saiga 12 out for some real shooting last night...

What a disappointment.  Every other shot jammed (shell failed to completely eject) and aiming was difficult due to the poor sights (the sights are somewhat high).  Out of 5 rabbits seen, only 3 were sent to their eternal reward.

So what is the deal with the ejecting?  I was using regular game load 2 and 3/4 inch 12 guage shells.  The manual said it would specify on the receiver or barrel whether it fired 2 /34 inch or 3 inch shells, but I could see nowhere  on the gun where it said anything about ammunition size.
So I just used 2 3/4 inch shells to be safe.

As for aiming, what do you guys reccomend?  The receiver has a side mount (its basically an AK receiver).  Should I go for some kind of laser sight maybe?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#1]
there are two gas settings.  try rotating the gas tube cap from 1 to 2, or from 2 to 1.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, sounds like its set for slugs/buck instead of birdshot.  Turn the gas cap to the other setting.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Try posting or researching on http://www.saiga-12.com/index.htm.  I'm thinking of getting one of those this month.

jd1
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#4]
What they said.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Below is a post I made on another forum regarding the problem you are having....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from shotgunworld.com
Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Saiga Semi Auto Clip Feed or Mosssberg M9200A1  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grizzlywinmag wrote:
The Saiga I got was a bit of a lemon, it wouldn't function with light loads. Heavy loads operated the action properly every time. It may have been a dirty gas system causing the problem.

GZwinmag, You might want to adjust your gas setting....

On the front of the Saiga gas block there is a gas adjustment marked with a 1 and a 2.

If you have it set on "1" then it is good for Magnum loads.

If you have it set on "2" then it is good for Light loads.

Warning!!!

What you definitely DO NOT WANT TO DO is set it to position 2 and fire magnum loads (or slugs)!!!

Some Saigas are able to fire light loads even in the "1" position. If that is the case you never have to use the "2" position.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Gotta say up front never fired one or held one so take that for what its worth, but are you sure it not mechanical (dirty, lack of lube ect. ) also when you say spotlighting are you in a vehicle when your shooting if so could be limp wristing like when shooting a auto pistol. Also seen  autos shoot fine during the daylight (temp) and have problems at night when the temps go down when (Cosmoline)is left in the wrong places or too heavy lube is used. Good luck and let us know what becomes of it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#7]
ok, I took it out right after i posted this and patterned it from  about 15-20 yds away.

pattern was very tight, and about 1 1/2 inch above where I aimed.  Shells cycled perfectly.  They were selfloads and I tend to load my shells a little heavy.   I THINK its on gas setting 2. I'll try and upload some pics in a bit.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#8]
hey what do yall use to compress jpgs?  villiagephotos won't let me upload my pics cuz they're too big.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Photobucket.Com
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#10]

this is three shots of size 9 shot from about 15-20 yards away.  the two big holes are where the wad hit the paper.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#11]
All I know, I have flawless functioning with all shot shells execpt for Wolf.  (on my Saiga 12 that is)
What brand were you using?

-Gazzy
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Remington... but some were self-loads...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top