Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2009 4:23:23 PM EST
Trying to decide on a good bike.

My thoughts thus far.

Harley 883

Ninja 650R

or a 600 Sport bike misc make.

The 650R has good lines, and looks good, yet most of my friends ride Cruisers. But a couple friends ride sport bikes.

I like all bikes pretty much, but can't decide on my first 1.

What says you?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:33:15 PM EST
Go with a standard or sport/standard for your first bike. Until you start doing it, you really don't know what kind of riding style and what bikes fit your needs. A standard is a good middle ground to learn the basics on, and while you are riding that, you will see what kind of riding you like to do, and have opportunities to take rides on bikes that interest you.

A Ninja 650 (or SV650) is a great Sport Standard to start with.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:10:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By jeremy223:
Go with a standard or sport/standard for your first bike. Until you start doing it, you really don't know what kind of riding style and what bikes fit your needs. A standard is a good middle ground to learn the basics on, and while you are riding that, you will see what kind of riding you like to do, and have opportunities to take rides on bikes that interest you.

A Ninja 650 (or SV650) is a great Sport Standard to start with.

Nuthin wrong with a sporty for the first bike.....They handle good, & look good as long as you are under 5'7 & 160 Lbs.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:31:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/10/2009 5:35:12 PM EST by Hoppy]
You have to really decide how you would use it. If back and forth to work and Saturdays in the twisties with a Track Day every now and again, mostly riding solo, then the Sport bike may be for you. More relaxing rides, mostly on city streets and freeways, with a passenger, then a cruiser might be better. Longer distances, especially with a passenger, a Sport Touring bike may be the choice.

Don't rule out a Dual Sport either if you like getting away on a dirt road every now and again.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:28:19 PM EST

If you're gonna do it, do it right. But be careful as I am now completely addicted and there is no looking back.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:47:54 PM EST
Power and Torque are addictive. However, I learned to ride on a 125cc Yamaha, then bought a Honda 750 Supersport. I now ride a CBR 1000. Great bike on the open road, not so good in the parking lot. I personally cannot fit on a new sport bike, too cramped.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:08:03 AM EST
Dual Sport

KTM 990 ADV
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:51:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 9:02:05 AM EST by MadMardigan]
How are the FZ1?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:59:24 PM EST

Can't go wrong with a Yammi. Personally if your looking at a motard i would pass on KTM. I was looking at a few with a buddy and everything had horrible casting marks; was rough as concrete and the salesmen were horrible using excuses like, "they cost so much because the euro is worth more than the us dollar," Also used "KTM doesnt make an entry level bike and they're ready to race." I shoulda asked him when was the last time KTM ever won a race. Look at Aprilia for motards they're cheaper than KTM and a lot nicer looking imo and have good reviews. For sport bike get an r6, sport touring go with i guess an SV even though i'm not a fan of suzuki but i hear they're alright. For cruiser find yourself a used HD, get the 1200 not the 883. That's all just my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:12:28 PM EST
Good old fashioned American muscle combined with a sporty edge, The Buell Firebolt XB12R.
Here are some random youtube vids...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQE8ZOH3a24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw004658cOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nvGnleWfPo
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:33:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By chop13chop:
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu24/chop13chop/DSCN1462.jpg
Can't go wrong with a Yammi. Personally if your looking at a motard i would pass on KTM. I was looking at a few with a buddy and everything had horrible casting marks; was rough as concrete and the salesmen were horrible using excuses like, "they cost so much because the euro is worth more than the us dollar," Also used "KTM doesnt make an entry level bike and they're ready to race." I shoulda asked him when was the last time KTM ever won a race. Look at Aprilia for motards they're cheaper than KTM and a lot nicer looking imo and have good reviews. For sport bike get an r6, sport touring go with i guess an SV even though i'm not a fan of suzuki but i hear they're alright. For cruiser find yourself a used HD, get the 1200 not the 883. That's all just my opinion.

A quick google search showed these

here

and here

and here
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:05:08 PM EST
I'll be the only one, but I think you are looking at too much bike for your first one. The Sportster, while not very powerful is a little heavier than what I would recommend to a n00b. The 600 sportbike are also a terrible idea for a new rider. You will hear lots of people chime in "I started on a CBR600ZX14RRGSxRBusablah blah blah and I had no problems!" I just strongly believe the motto "It is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow." This is more so true for a new rider. The Ninja 650 is the only choice here that comes close to making sense, and I still think that a brand new rider could do better.

You hear people say they "outgrew" their beginner bike too quickly, but in truth they probably couldn't use anywhere close to the bikes potential. All they could do is exercise their right wrist.

If you are interested in a Sport bike style, a Ninja 500 is a great street bike, and if you use up all of what it can do on the street, you need to slow down. Many new riders who want to get a sport bike rag in the Ninja 500s looks. Remember form follows function, and the newer 600 sport bikes function is to get around a racetrack as fast as possible. Not so much fun when going out for a 100-200 mile leisure ride. The Yamaha Seca II is also a good street bike. If you want a cruiser style bike, I would suggest a Vulcan 500, or if you can find one an Eliminator 600.

I started out on a 1982 450 Honda, and rode it for 2 years and 15,000 miles. I took track classes on it, and found out exactly where its limits were. Once I was able to consistently hit those limits, that is when I started looking for a new bike. I bought a 1992 Yamaha Seca II, which was the SV650/Ninja 650 of the day. It is about 48 HP to the rear wheel, and I don't see why anyone would NEED more than this on the street. WANT is a different thing, but you should also WANT to learn the proper skills to ride to the best of your ability and then feel confident when you do get something different.

And also, as I have said before buying a brand new bike as a new rider is a bad idea. Let someone else take the depreciation hit and get something used. Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:08:10 PM EST
How about a SV650?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:34:42 PM EST
Get a good used Valkyrie and never look back.
Flat Six for the MF Win!!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:42:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By CB1:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/cbarzyz/OPGlenRose14.jpg

Wow, that is an old bike, look at the background!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:21:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By MadMardigan:
How about a SV650?

The SV650 is a great street bike. Something about the ergos don't jive with me personally though. I still think that even though many on this board would tell you the SV650 is a great first bike, I think a new rider can better refine their skills on something with less power. Again just my personal opinion.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:23:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By pearl1982:
How about a SV650?

The SV650 is a great street bike. Something about the ergos don't jive with me personally though. I still think that even though many on this board would tell you the SV650 is a great first bike, I think a new rider can better refine their skills on something with less power. Again just my personal opinion.

Oh, I agree. I am 28, so I have been around the block a few times.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:35:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2009 3:36:31 PM EST by Infallible]
Go with a standard and go used for a first bike. Find a nice used SV650 and you'll be more happy than you could ever have imagined. They are absolutely terrific bikes. When you're ready for more of a challenge, mod out the SV650 and use it on track days, there's a legion of SV650 fanatics nation wide and with good reason.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:43:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By Infallible:
Go with a standard and go used for a first bike. Find a nice used SV650 and you'll be more happy than you could ever have imagined. They are absolutely terrific bikes. When you're ready for more of a challenge, mod out the SV650 and use it on track days, there's a legion of SV650 fanatics nation wide and with good reason.

Is a 2001 with 30,000 miles worth 2400?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:49:32 AM EST
Originally Posted By pearl1982:
How about a SV650?

I agree.

I started on an SV650S and it has been a wonderful bike, no doubt about that it will do anything and everything i ask it to and beg for more but i do believe i would have been better off starting on a smaller bike such as a 500 or even a 250.

The SV has an extremely ON/OFF throttle issue...it can be tamed down by several mods/adjustments however especially for slow speed stuff, that makes it tough to execute U-turns and other stuff.

Get yourself a standard, then figure out how you do the most of your riding, if its sport touring, cruising, track riding, weekend twisty warrior, etc....get a second bike that will do the job adequately.

I know i am still no where near pushing the limits of my SV, and honestly on the street, its impossible to do without breaking MANY laws. Looking forward to a trackday with the SV.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:28:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By CB1:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/cbarzyz/OPGlenRose14.jpg

Wow, that is an old bike, look at the background!
LOL!
I was cruising so far that I must have gone through the time space continuum...

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:08:42 PM EST
Take a look at the Kawasaki Versys. It was designed for people exactly like you-someone who wants sporty but wants to tour and maybe cruise a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ziXisHodU&NR=1
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:20:07 PM EST
My goal is to ride to work for most of the time ( 8 miles round trip ) and have fun on the weekends. Add in your once a year 3 hour drive to the beach, and up to the mountains.

I messed around on some bikes, and the cruiser and sport touring both feel good to me. Dual sport would hurt my arse after awhile, and super sport would most likely cause my shoulder bursitis to flare up more then I would care for.

The SV650 and Ninja 650R felt great on the ergos for me, and Honda Shadows / ACE / Spirit felt good too. The V-Rod (FAP FAP FAP FAP) would be cool for short runs here and there.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:06:51 PM EST
The SV650 and Ninja 650R felt great on the ergos for me, and Honda Shadows / ACE / Spirit felt good too. The V-Rod (FAP FAP FAP FAP) would be cool for short runs here and there.

Sounds like you got a good handle on what to start on then. As for prices for a used bike, especially an SV650 you want to make sure that it has not been beat to within an inch of its life like so many have been. The nice thing about them otoh is that they are very resilient machines and the little twin has a good combination of torque and hp while remaining lithe enough to be easily handled. $2400 sounds a little high for an 8 year old SV650 w 30k miles on it. Although, that is only 3700 miles per year approximately. Personally I would look for something with lower miles riden by someone who bought one and decided they did not like to ride, the papers and craigslist usually are have quite the selection. I've seen low mile 3 year old sv650s go for $3500.
Top Top