Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2005 8:14:22 AM EDT

What are yours?

As a Christian I believe that God gives His children spiritual gifts and talents that we are oblidged to use for His glory.  I'm so afraid of loosing mine and disappointing Him because I rarely use mine, though I am trying to do better.  I have a talent of music that I never use because I hate performing for an audience.  However, my wife thinks that my somewhat outgoing personality could be used for witnessing/evangelistic purposes, so I have really been focusing on using it lately.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#1]
To be honest, I think I have a great talent to make people laugh and at public speaking.  I have wanted to be a comic all my life, but have never done so.

I feel I have wasted this talent that God has given me and now I am trying to actually use what it is he gave me.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#2]
1) there's a difference between a talent and a spiritual gift.

2) tagged to see what everyone else says.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

They both come from God.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Oh, I see what you mean, sorry.  I presume you mean:

Talent = an ability given to you from God
Gift = self-expl, a gift from God, whether it be health, psychological (peace), material, etc.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, I see what you mean, sorry.  I presume you mean:

Talent = an ability given to you from God
Gift = self-expl, a gift from God, whether it be health, psychological (peace), material, etc.

This may be a matter of semantics, but when I see the phrase 'spiritual gifts', I think of those described by Paul.

(tongues, etcetera...)

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#6]
So what are yours AROWNER?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

Like i said, I just tagged it to see what others had to say.

Suffice to say that my understanding of spiritual gifts is changing over time.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Gifts from God and or the Holy Spirit

1. Words of Wisdom
2. Words of Knowledge
3. Faith
4. Healing
5. Miracle Working
6. Prophecy
7. Discernment of Spirits
8. Tongue
9. Interpratation

Cor 1 8 or so

Other gifts and talents are blessings given to you with the hope that you will use them in his honor. IMO
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

well, it would be kind of nice if you actually participated in these threads.

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

well, it would be kind of nice if you actually participated in these threads.

SGat1r5

When I said this, I pretty well meant it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#11]
You are sadly mistaken.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:24:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What are yours?

As a Christian I believe that God gives His children spiritual gifts and talents that we are oblidged to use for His glory.  I'm so afraid of loosing mine and disappointing Him because I rarely use mine, though I am trying to do better.  I have a talent of music that I never use because I hate performing for an audience.  However, my wife thinks that my somewhat outgoing personality could be used for witnessing/evangelistic purposes, so I have really been focusing on using it lately.

Spiritual gifts and God given abilities are seperate things. Spiritual Gifts is the term that the Bible uses to describe the charismata worked by The Holy Spirit, i.e:

"1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: 2 You know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.
4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills."

1st Corinthians 12

There are other gifts listed by Paul, such as administration and helps in other arewas of scripture. These refer to what I would call life gifts, meaning a gift that is still spirit given, but that operates in a more regular way in the life of a believer. Then there are gifts for office where God gave some to be Pastors, Evangelists, Teachers, etc...  

These are distinct and seperate from the talents and abilities of the individual, because Spiritual Gifts (charismata...literally translated as grace gifts) operate as The Spirit wills, not the individual.

Things like a sense of humor are indeed gifts from God, but they are different from the Biblically classified Spiritual Gifts.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Crud.

Someone beat me to the punch.

I have to learn to read the whole thread before replying to the first post.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
1.Gifts- I believe these are listed in Romans 12, where Paul specifically lists spiritual gifts.  Prophecy, service, teaching, exhortation, giving, leading, and mercy.  I understand these to be permanent gifts that are commensurate with the believer’s personality and particular abilities.  I also understand from 1 Peter 4:10 that each person receives only one gift.  Each believer is given the responsibility of developing their gift and using it to edify other believers and the church.  These seven and only these seven, are the biblical spiritual gifts.

I must take exception to the part in red. The gifts given vary by the grace given to us. When we see people like Paul, he operated in the prophetic, yet was also a teacher, evangelist, minister, giver, leader, etc. He had several gifts that equipped him for the mission God put in front of him. Similarly, there are people in the church today who are gifted with a combination of the different gifts as it suits their call from God.

With the example of Phillip in Acts, we can see that a person can actually grow in Christ and receive additional gifts. He began with a gift of helps, but eventually was promoted and used for other assignments as God willed.

2. Ministries-  I am convinced these are listed in Ephesians 4:11, and that they are the respective roles that individuals play in the body of Christ in utilizing their above spiritual gifts.  

I tend to agree with you on that, but would point out that the offices also include other duties, as being a Pastor includes also teaching and exhortation. It does not, however, work the opposite way. One called as an Evangelist is not always gifted to become a pastor.

3. Effects-  This is the result of the work of the spirit in the individual, and are found listed in Galatians 5:22-26, the Fruit (effects) of the Spirit.  I think many folks are familiar with this list.

Indeed. And these everyone should have.

4. Manifestations- If you notice the grammar joining verse 7 and 8 in 1 Cor 12, you will see that it is these manifestations that Paul describes in the subsequent verses.  He lists the four different categories of “spiritual things”, and then goes on to describe the details of the last category, the manifestations. They are obviously and necessarily different from the other categories.  They are ”gifts” in general, as perhaps all of the spiritual things God gives us can be considered gifts, but they are not “gifts” in the technical sense of how Paul uses the term in verse 4.  I am convinced that these manifestations are special abilities that the Spirit gives to a particular individual, at a specific time, for a specific purpose, and that when the immediate usefulness is past, the manifestation is removed.

If you look at the original language, the word "charismata" is used to describe these special empowerments by The Spirit, just as it is used to describe other gifts. But you are correct when you see these as Divine empowerment for a specific purpose. It seems that certain people, however, seem to have these charismata operate in their life more often than others, which is why Paul says later that not all are workers of miracles. (He also says we can desire the "best" gifts...) The Spirit seems to manifest these charismata through certain individuals (like Peter, Phillip, and Paul) more than others, but any believer who is yielded has the ability to be used of The Spirit for whatever The Spirit purposes.

But they are NOT spirutual gifts.  They are merely tools that the Holy spirit has at His disposal to use through you to do the work that He wants done.  Maybe you will never have need for one.  NOT having one of these manifestations, including tongues, is NOT and indicator that you are not a believer.

I would certainly call them gifts, though not in the same sense of the more permanent gifts like being called to be a pastor.

It is absolutely true, however, that tongues or healings are NOT necessary signs to be a believer in Christ. As a classical Pentecostal, I of course believe that tongues (tongues for personal devotion, not tongues for public consumption) are for everyone, but they are not necessary to be saved, as some denominations teach. Tongues are meant as a means of communion between The Holy Spirit and ourselves, whereby we "speak mysteries" and communicate with God on His level. Tounges serve as an evidence ONLY of being filled with the Baptism of The Holy Spirit. They are not evidence of salvation, though someone manifesting genuine Spirtual Gifts is indeed saved.

Some gifts of The Spirit (tongues for personal devotion, fruit of The Spirit...) are meant as an edifying force for the individual believer. Most, however, are meant as a means of edifying the church body as a whole. The giftings only come with the willingness to minister to the needs of others. Only those who are willing to serve are equipped to do so, explaining why more people do not receive giftings.

Also, there is an element of learning how to yield yourself to God that is necessary before use of the various gifts God gives to us. I may, for instance, be willing to teach, and God may have gifted me to teach, but that doesn't mean that I can simply stand up in front of people and expect God to rattle my jaw and make words for me. (The same goes, btw, for tongues...) I have to study and do my part, to which God adds His part, and the combination of my yielded study and God's leading and direction produce exactly what God intended all along.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I did a thorough study of this topic for over a year back in college, and my findings were largely responsible for me changing the direction of my life.  And I am VERY happy I did.

I can post my study notes on both the gifts and manifestations or email them to folks if you like. IM me if you want.

Good work!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Tagged to study later :)

G.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I was blessed with music, as well. I used to play piano for my mom's church. I sang sometimes, as well.

I'm not using those talents to their fullest right now. Music can be a powerful ministry.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#22]
The question was "spiritual gifts AND talents" so I don't see why anyone would argue over semantics.
Anyway.....

I was trained in piano and voice. When I was in high school, I studied opera. Opera was chosen for me by the college music professors based on abilities and range. I hated opera so much, I refused to study it,quit, and merely sang at church and in small groups.

Regreting that now,....

Any talent comes from God. It is a spiritual gift if used properly.
Life itself, is a gift.

And I have a gift of seeing who people are inside. Even though I have just met them. When I tell them what their most personal fears or hopes are, they seem to be quite surprised that anyone could know.
I only use it when asked now....or when someone is hurting.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

And I have a gift of seeing who people are inside. Even though I have just met them. When I tell them what their most personal fears or hopes are, they seem to be quite surprised that anyone could know.
I only use it when asked now....or when someone is hurting.

This reminds me of my good friend Kathy. She's a very intuitive person, and she can sense when people are hurting or are concerned. It is truly a gift in a world where we're all in such a rush and are concerned only with ourselves that we can't really see others or understand what they may be going through.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top