Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2006 1:06:48 PM EDT

today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=internetNews&storyID=2006-04-03T080655Z_01_SYD139002_RTRIDST_0_OUKIN-UK-AUSTRALIA-SPIDER.XML

Spider-hunting nudist ends with ring of fire

Mon Apr 3, 2006 9:06 AM BST163

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A red-faced Australian nudist who tried to set fire to what he thought was a deadly funnel web spider's nest ended up with badly burnt buttocks, emergency officials said on Monday.

The 56-year-old man was at a nudist colony near Bowral, about 100 km (62 miles) southwest of Sydney, on Sunday when he spotted what he believed to be a funnel web spider hole.

Ambulance workers, including a helicopter crew, were called to the scene after the man poured petrol down the hole and then lit a match in an attempt to kill the offending arachnid.

"The exploding petrol fumes left the man with burns to 18 percent of his body, on the upper leg and buttocks," the NRMA Careflight helicopter rescue service said in a statement.

It said the man's lack of clothing probably contributed to the extent of his burns.

"The fate of the bunkered spider was unknown, although other guests at the resort thought it was probably a harmless trapdoor spider and not a deadly funnel web," the statement said.

NRMA Careflight said it was called to a property in the same area in January when another man kicked a spider that was crawling up the wall of a friend's cabin. The man broke his leg in two places, it said.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#2]
DrFridge?

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I heard this on the radio this morning and laughed so hard I accidently bit the dental hygienist's hand.

(P.S. it's okay, she's hawt and tasted good )
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone heard from DrFrige today?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#5]
genitalia and fire do not mix
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Whoa!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#7]
funnel spiders are BAD news though.  one of the most poisionous spiders in the world.  if i saw one i would KILL IT WITH FIRE (and hopefully not burn my ass in the process ).
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
funnel spiders are BAD news though.  one of the most poisionous spiders in the world.  if i saw one i would KILL IT WITH FIRE.

with or without clothing?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It said the man's lack of clothing probably contributed to the extent of his burns.

Do ya think? Good thing none of them tend bees.

I understand the whole nudist lifestyle thing, and it is fine to degrees under proper conditions.

But there is a reason clothing was developed and it wasn't because someone said nudity was evil.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
But there is a reason clothing was developed and it wasn't because someone said nudity was evil.

Ahhhh... I just LOVE this place. I can always count on some things. And Steyr getting his jab in at religion is as regular as my bowel movements. Plus, they're both made of the same substance...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#11]
[Johnny Cash] I charred my ass in a burnin' ring of fire. My balls are smokin' and the flames are gettin' higher.  Burn, burn, burn, that f'in spider.  With this ring of fire. [/Johnny Cash]

CO
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahhhh... I just LOVE this place. I can always count on some things. And Steyr getting his jab in at religion is as regular as my bowel movements. Plus, they're both made of the same substance...

You shit profound words of wit?

Does it hurt?

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

huge +1, and that all im gonna say about that
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#14]

My first thought was Where is DrFrige....
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#15]
just goes to show, there's a right way and a wrong way to....

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Spider-hunting nudist ends with ring of fire

From the thread title, I thought this was a review of a new live act ("Spider-Hunting Nudist") that does Johnny Cash covers...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You shit profound words of wit?

Does it hurt?

No, but it generally smells...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That's gonna be a sigline soon....

Woody
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's gonna be a sigline soon....

Woody

Anybody besides me find that an amusing juxtaposition?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That wasn't a jab at religion.

I was basically saying religion ISN'T to blame.

Jeeze, some of you guys.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
[Johnny Cash] I charred my ass in a burnin' ring of fire. My balls are smokin' and the flames are gettin' higher.  Burn, burn, burn, that f'in spider.  With this ring of fire. [/Johnny Cash]

CO

That's a good one, CO!  Mrs. and I watched "Walk the Line" the other night and I'm hearing that song as I type this!

HH
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Instant kharmic payback.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#25]
bump
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top