Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2005 5:48:03 AM EDT
It has come to my attention, through direct witness, that certain people are misusing another common word.  That word is "role".  This drives me crazy to read.

Example:  "Do not use a bolt rifle in a CQB roll"

In this usage, that would be "role".

"Roll" is what a wheel does.  A "roll" is something you put mustard and pastrami on, then eat.
A "role" is when you take a person or object, and apply it to a specific situation that is more or less defined.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:49:08 AM EDT
[#1]
What roll does a bed role play in this?

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:50:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It has come to my attention, through direct witness, that certain people are misusing anoter common word.  That word is "role".  Thi drives me crazy to read.

A "roll" is what a wheel does.  A "roll" is something you put mustard and pastrami on, then eat.
A "role" is when you take a person or object, and apply it to a specific situation that is more or less defined.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:50:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Sgatr15

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:51:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It has come to my attention, through direct witness, that certain people are misusing anoter common word.  That word is "role".  Thi drives me crazy to read.

A "roll" is what a wheel does.  A "roll" is something you put mustard and pastrami on, then eat.

Thank you.

Arrrrggggghhhh!!!  Edited!  I just woke up and I'm a lousy typist!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:51:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Your loosing it.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Your loosing it.  

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That's one of the other ones that drive me crazy!!!!  

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:52:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It has come to my attention, through direct witness, that certain people are misusing anoter common word.  That word is "role".  This drives me crazy to read.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:53:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Can you at least explain capitol and capital to me?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:54:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Sgatr15

Actually, that would be a bed "roll".

or you could just "role play" in bed.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:54:32 AM EDT
[#11]
huh
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:54:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It has come to my attention, through direct witness, that certain people are misusing another common word.  That word is "role".  Thi drives me crazy to read.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A "roll" is what a wheel does.  

By placing "A" before "roll", you are designating "roll" as a noun.
This is not, however, how you are using it.
The "A" is therefore superfluous.
You could have just said:

"roll" is what a wheel does.

Notable exception:

"A roll in the hay"
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:03:17 AM EDT
[#14]
that's not a spelling problem, it's a grammar/usage problem
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:04:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, pity the Spelling Nazi who is weak in grammar.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:04:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Whoo Hoo!  Typically, I make very few errors in grammar OR spelling.  WTF is going on with me today?  Anyway, I corrected my post!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:06:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Whoo Hoo!  Typically, I make very few errors in grammar OR spelling.   Today, WTF? Anyway, I corrected my post!

Incomplete sentance.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:06:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgatr15

Actually, that would be a bed "roll".

or you could just "role play" in bed.

Or a "roll in the hay" could occur in bed, while one is "role playing" as a farmer/farmer's daughter/travelling salesman.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Whoo Hoo!  Typically, I make very few errors in grammar OR spelling.   Today, WTF? Anyway, I corrected my post!

Incomplete sentance. sentence.

SGatr15

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:09:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Dirty boxers bug me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Roll and Role are both spelled correctly. You are addressing this to the wrong group. Union rules require that this complaint be ignored. Please re-address this post to the Grammer Nazis...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:08:29 AM EDT
[#22]
And here to provide helpful pictoral references...

- When complaining about Grammar Nazis...

- When being a Grammar Nazi...

- And in the event that something is actually spelled incorrectly...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Example: "Do not use a bolt rifle in a CQB roll".  In this usage, that would be "role".

I wouldn't use it in a CQB roll either, because as you are rolling back onto your knees, the bolt handle could strike you in the face!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:11:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Roll and Role are both spelled correctly. You are addressing this to the wrong group. Union rules require that this complaint be ignored. Please re-address this post to the Grammer Nazis...

GRAMMAR Nazi's.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
And here to provide helpful pictoral references...

[yoda]English good, you do not type.  Heh heh heh.[/yoda]

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Whoo Hoo!  Typically, I make very few errors in grammar OR spelling.  WTF is going on with me today?  Anyway, I corrected my post!

You need to correct it again. Since your spelling comment is directed at "certain people" (as in more than one), your subject line should read "Spelling Nazis!!!" (plural); not "Spelling Nazi!!! (singular).

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It has come to my attention, through direct witness, that certain people are misusing another common word.  That word is "role".  This drives me crazy to read.

"Roll" is what a wheel does.  A "roll" is something you put mustard and pastrami on, then eat.

Thank you.

Even though you have brought this info to the ARFCOM table, it will prolly do no good due to our lose use of vocabulary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top