Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 5:24:00 PM EDT
When driving in town or on the highway I find most people including myself do not obey posted limits. So I tend to view them as a "suggested" speed. Until I see a copper at least!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I always drive at or below the recomended speed limit when on residential streets, or downtown, heavy populated areas, etc. Never know when a kid or pet might come flying out from behind a parked car or tree.

When on a hiway, interstate, free way, etc, I usually go 10 mph over, or so. If you kid or dog is playing on the interstate, then tough shit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Suggestion.

At least 'till the occifer is at my window.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I always drive at or below the recomended speed limit when on residential streets, or downtown, heavy populated areas, etc. Never know when a kid or pet might come flying out from behind a parked car or tree.

When on a hiway, interstate, free way, etc, I usually go 10 mph over, or so. If you kid or dog is playing on the interstate, then tough shit.

Me too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Of course I drive the perfect speed.hink
I usually do 5 miles over except in neighborhoods and school zones.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#5]
And those stupid radar signs... somebody once asked what they were for "I have my own speedometer, I don't need one on the side of the road."  Then he mentioned that he tried to "set the high score."

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Its the law, but rare is the law that I agree with.

The speed limited are very outdated in this country and are currently used as a form of taxation rather than protecting the community.

I go whatever speed the condition of the road affords. Sometimes that means 20 over, sometimes that means 5 under. Why can I only go 50 on a divided 4 lane highway but I can go 55 on a winding 2 lane country road?

When I do get pulled over am I pissed at the cop? 99% of the time no, I treat him with respect and authority that he deserves.

Am I pissed at the crappy laws put in place by our politicians for the pure purpose of $. You bet!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That's pretty much what I do.  

On the highway/freeway, there is a term - 'flow of traffic'.  You could be cited for doing the speed limit when everyone else is going faster, you  know?  

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I drive 9 miles an hour over, always, and have never gotten a speeding ticket.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#9]
flow of traffic is the law as far as i'm concerned.

go as fast as everyone else.  if you're alone on a secluded road at night, go the speed limit because the cops are BORED
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#10]
On interstates....

It is nothing more than a taunting suggestion that you violate the "limit" it so the locality can bust you and generate revenue.

What amazes me is the surprising number of sheep who BAAHAHAHAHAHAH out "well, if you never violate the speed limits, you (snivle) don't have to worry about getting a speeding ticket

Speed limits, especially on interstates, have nothing to do with safety and all to do with revenue collection.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.

+2

The only reason "Reasonable and Prudent" didn't work in Montana is because of the dumbification of society.

Germany with its no-limit Autobahn has fewer fatalities per 100million miles driven than the US (that stat is pretty all encompassing and totally blows away all the knuckleheads that say speed kills )
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I voted that it is nothing more than a suggestion.  It makes my job easier.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Speed limits are for revenue collection, not public safety.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#14]
It's the Law.

One which I routinely ignore.

SG
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Speed limits are for revenue collection, not public safety.

Amen!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
On interstates....

It is nothing more than a taunting suggestion that you violate the "limit" it so the locality can bust you and generate revenue.

What amazes me is the surprising number of sheep who BAAHAHAHAHAHAH out "well, if you never violate the speed limits, you (snivle) don't have to worry about getting a speeding ticket

Speed limits, especially on interstates, have nothing to do with safety and all to do with revenue collection.

Funny thing is, in Alabama, municipalities have to be of a certain population size to run radar on the Interstate, or that used to be the case.

SG
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Speed limits are made for revenue and the lowest common demoninator. An intelligent person would go slow on residential/city streets, and see that 100 mph is fine on a well kept highway when conditions allow it.

However you have the complete morons that try to do 100 no matter what, and the city needs their revenue from people that like to go 10-20 over.

I've allways thought highways need MPH by lane, with fines for going UNDER the minimum.

Fastlane 80+ MPH
middle lane 65-80
slow lane 55-65

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I voted law, but I don't necessarily follow it.  Residential areas, I don't necessarily even go as fast as the speed limit allows.  On the Interstate....  well, that's another story.  And flow of traffic often determines just how fast I'll be going.

Woody
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#19]
you know, texas is the only state in the nation where one can get a ticket for going too fast and too slow at the same time.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#20]
It's certainly a suggestion to the cops themselves.

About 1 in 50 actually drive the posted limit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Speed limits are made for revenue and the lowest common demoninator. An intelligent person would go slow on residential/city streets, and see that 100 mph is fine on a well kept highway when conditions allow it.

However you have the complete morons that try to do 100 no matter what, and the city needs their revenue from people that like to go 10-20 over.

I've allways thought highways need MPH by lane, with fines for going UNDER the minimum.

Fastlane 80+ MPH
middle lane 65-80
slow lane 55-65

thats a great idea, speed isnt what kills, its difference in speed. On the autoban it is a big no-no to pass someone from the right.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Suggestion that I ignore most of the time.

Riding a streetbike doesn't make me want to drive slow. People riding my ass and trying to get around me isn't something I want, so I almost always speed on 2 wheels.

When I'm drifing my Dually, it all depends on traffic. Heavy traffic, I go with the flow (wether it be 5 under or 10 over). Light traffic, I usually only go 5 over (and since I'm not usually driving through very residential areas where a bunch of kids play, I don't have to worry about them much).

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Fastlane 80+ MPH
middle lane 65-80
slow lane 55-65

That is how the autobahn is set up except they have 4 lanes on most roads. The far left lane is for trucks  usually going 55-65mph. The second from the right goes about 70-85mph. The third lane is 85 -150+. The fourth lane is passing only, you get out pass and get back over ASAP. You only get to see flashing lights of the guy going 160+ for a very short time till he is on your butt. I only saw 2 accidents while in Germany both were fatal.
On a fun note I did average 130 from Amsterdam to Frankfort, topped out in the 150 range in a rented Mercedes C class back in 1999.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Heavy traffic, residential or school zones = speed limit for me.  Freeway or highway just watch for brake lights of other speeders to warn of revenue agents & proceed to destination, post haste.  The best is when they get stuck in the wet median while trying to whup a u turn.  I really want to stop and take a picture sometime, priceless.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
On the highway/freeway, there is a term - 'flow of traffic'.  You could be cited for doing the speed limit when everyone else is going faster, you  know?  

If you're going the speed limit in the right(slow) lane no judge will find you guilty of going to slow.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I always thought we needed a 3 Tier System for our Interstates;

The Sign would be divided with 3 values,  Maximum Passing Speed, Set Speed and Minimum Speed.

---
---

The Middle value is the "Cruising Speed that everyone should sync to and try to maintain".
The Top Value is the Maxium Passing speed for the left lane and cars should not use the left lane but to pass.
The bottom value is the minimum safe speed for the flow of traffic.

On some Roads the Top speed and Cruising speed could be unlimited durring Dry conditions.  Durring adverse weather there should be a set limit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.

+2

The only reason "Reasonable and Prudent" didn't work in Montana is because of the dumbification of society.

Germany with its no-limit Autobahn has fewer fatalities per 100million miles driven than the US (that stat is pretty all encompassing and totally blows away all the knuckleheads that say speed kills )

Germany has way traffic laws that are way more strick than our are: For example, you would be ticketed for driving in the passing lane with out actually passing someone, you have to get out of the way of a faster car behind you, and it is also illegal to run out of gas on the autobahn
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Highways have at it...But I hate drivers in residential or school areas or parking lots that speed .......it is a stupid thing to do I just wish that more people were curtious and this wouldnt be an issue.....
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're going the speed limit in the right(slow) lane no judge will find you guilty of going to slow.

you obviously don't live in TX.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Laws that should be suggestions IMO. Not to go off topic, but all drivers under the age of 21 should have  several bigass stickers on the vehicle that say *Under 21 Driver  Call 1-800-Damn-Kids to report unsafe driving* Under 21 the posted speed limit should be law, if you have 6 or more years of driving experience and are over 21 they should only be suggestions.

Flame suit on.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Laws that should be suggestions IMO. Not to go off topic, but all drivers under the age of 21 should have  several bigass stickers on the vehicle that say *Under 21 Driver  Call 1-800-Damn-Kids to report unsafe driving* Under 21 the posted speed limit should be law, if you have 6 or more years of driving experience and are over 21 they should only be suggestions.

Flame suit on.

Should only be applicable to city kids under 21.

I've been riding dirtbikes since I was 5 and driving since about the same age. I'm 19 now.

WIZZO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top