Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/19/2006 11:50:43 AM EDT
Driving on the interstate today, and a cop passed me, lit up like a christmas tree.

I was happy, because at least he wasn't after me.

Curious, I accelerated to try to keep up with him, because he was well out of his jurisdiction.
He was a county sheriff 15 miles inside a neighboring county, going farther away from home.

Lets just say that I know he was doing at least 100mph for at least 20 miles,
until I lost sight of him.  

Not that I care.  
I understand that these guys need to get to where they are needed.

But it did make me wonder
While performing duties for their job, are there speed limits?

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#1]
The law in each state says a reasonable speed that will not endanger public safety.

Agency policy usually further restricts this (for instance, I was in a volunteer FD that stated you could not exceed the speed limit even though it was legal - if you got caught, you lost your driving privileges until a chief was willing to allow you back behind the wheel).
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#2]
it is my understanding that most calls that require lights and sirens are taken at a reasonably safe speed (depending on conditions, etc). The ones that call for insane speeds tend to be very serious calls. Officer down, shots fired, etc etc.

Thats what I've noticed around here, anyways.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#3]
pfffft....

around here cops use the lights as an excuse to break traffic laws.  i regularly see them flip on their lights, make an illegal turn against a red light, then then turn the lights off.

i have ZERO respect for cops that do that, and it makes teh whole force look bad, not to mention puts them in danger by crying wolf.  if you have no respect for cop lights, you are not very inclined to get out of their way in a REAL emergency
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I was in TX a few years ago when a LEO was killed trying to serve a warrant, we had 4 or 5 police cars pass us doing in the 120 range.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to work with someone who was an EMT. He told me that they weren't supposed to go more than 5mph over the speed limit, and that it was logged on a meter.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
pfffft....

around here cops use the lights as an excuse to break traffic laws.  i regularly see them flip on their lights, make an illegal turn against a red light, then then turn the lights off.

i have ZERO respect for cops that do that, and it makes teh whole force look bad, not to mention puts them in danger by crying wolf.  if you have no respect for cop lights, you are not very inclined to get out of their way in a REAL emergency

Are you learning anything in college?  Sometimes cops hit their lights to get through an intersection or a "no U-Turn sign" to get to a call faster.  Next time we're going to your house for an emergency, we'll be sure to obey all the traffic laws..............
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
pfffft....

Are you learning anything in college?  Sometimes cops hit their lights to get through an intersection or a "no U-Turn sign" to get to a call faster.  Next time we're going to your house for an emergency, we'll be sure to obey all the traffic laws..............

I had one zip past me with his siren blaring and then a block ahead, turned in to Krispy Kreme and went to the drive in
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
pfffft....

I'm not in college and even I figured this out for myself.

Although I did laugh the time an officer was going lights-and-sirens balls-to-the-wall up I5, and a deputy saw him and joined in the chase to back him up...turned out the guy just wanted to go get his donut faster.  He was busted six ways from Sunday.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I was running hot down the interstate at 110mph (VFD medical unit) for a mini car vs semi and the rear dulies of the semi were parked on the car & squeezed the driver out like a bananna (she was alive) .

Nice and dry, no wind and ya could see for miles.

However, when it's wet/snowy or otherwise nasty I slow my azz down.

I've been known to run 60mph (lights/siren) on the interstate and get passed by stupid truckers cuz they refused to slow down when visibility was less than 50 feet and snowing/blowing.

However, the stupid truckers had to stop cuz another trucker was going to fast, jacknifed his rig and rolled on the interstate blocking all the lanes.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

when they're sitting at a light with no lights/siren on... then suddenly turn them on to go through the intersection, and then turn them off...  that tells me they didnt feel like sitting at a light.  if it's so important that they turn the lights on to blow the intersection, they should have the lights on in the first place
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Speed limit doesn't even apply to non-emergency vehicles in a life or death situation.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The law in each state says a reasonable speed that will not endanger public safety.

That's how it is here. Reasonable and prudent while not endangering the public.

Hell, I slow way down when aproaching a intersection even if it's green & stop on rerd lights till I know the oncomming traffic has stopped.

Stupid drivers today never see/hear ya and then if thedo over 80% ignore the lights/siren.

I'd rather get there 45 seconds late but get there than not arrive at all.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

when they're sitting at a light with no lights/siren on... then suddenly turn them on to go through the intersection, and then turn them off...  that tells me they didnt feel like sitting at a light.  if it's so important that they turn the lights on to blow the intersection, they should have the lights on in the first place

Some police calls you'd think are Code 3 calls (lights and siren) like Domestic Violence in progress aren't Code 3.  I don't agree with it.  Most officers want to get to that woman before her husband knocks the crap out of her, so we speed 10-20 over the limit and "do" the intersections with our lights on.  In other words, if I can speed down a 40 MPH doing 55MPH without going Code 3, I will, but I'll "do" the intersections the get there faster.  ie, only going Code 3 on the slow part of my route there.  

Sorry for the sarcasm earlier.  Does this clear things up?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
pfffft....

Perhaps the call is one where an expediant move thru traffic is needed but does not warrant full fledged code 3.

Or perhaps they should check with YOU to see if you approve of their use of the equipment before using it?

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ignorance abounds.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that makes sense.  They are just bored and too stupid to realize that uneeded use of the energancy equipment will get complaints.  

Again, there are many calls where it was unreasonable to the people needed the police should wait for the officer to sit thru a traffic light.  

One example would be a prowler call.  You run code three the prowler leaves of hides.  You haul ass and get there by running a few lights and you catch him.

However, you will never agree, as I suspect you just have a problem with authority.  Be sure to tell the dispatcher if you ever need the police that you expect the officer to obey every traffic law enroute to you.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#17]
So while the subject is up, settle this one:

While not on a call, but on the clock, all the regular traffic laws apply to cops - True or False?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
pfffft....

Must be a Florida thing.
I followed a Miami-Dade Metro car while coming home couple weeks ago.  
He came up behind me and turned his lights on to pass me and about 8 other cars doing 45+ in 30 mph street then go through two intersections with red lights and then turn into a quiet neighborhood.  I was curious so I followed him from about two block behind.  Once he got into the quiet street he turned off his light and then proceed to go out to the main street on the other side of the neighborhood where he drove right into the Dunkin Donuts parking lot.  There were three other officers in three police cars waiting for him.  I wrote down the cruiser's no. and description of the officer made a civilian complaint to the local station when I got home.   A seargent told me they would investigate and let me know the results... that was 4 or 5 weeks ago but nothing yet.  I'm not holding my breath.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#19]
The only people that have a valid opinion in this matter are the folks actually having the emergency.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The only people that have a valid opinion in this matter are the folks actually having the emergency.

Yeah, like emergency donut run
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
pfffft....

+1 Broward Sheriffs are friggin notorious for this.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
pfffft....

Must be a Florida thing.
I followed a Miami-Dade Metro car while coming home couple weeks ago.  
He came up behind me and turned his lights on to pass me and about 8 other cars doing 45+ in 30 mph street then go through two intersections with red lights and then turn into a quiet neighborhood.  I was curious so I followed him from about two block behind.  Once he got into the quiet street he turned off his light and then proceed to go out to the main street on the other side of the neighborhood where he drove right into the Dunkin Donuts parking lot.  There were three other officers in three police cars waiting for him.  I wrote down the cruiser's no. and description of the officer made a civilian complaint to the local station when I got home.   A seargent told me they would investigate and let me know the results... that was 4 or 5 weeks ago but nothing yet.  I'm not holding my breath.

i'm sure he was responding to a semi-emergency call at DD.... police would NEVER use their equipment just so they can avoid PITA traffic.........

yes, i realize that sometimes there is a call to respond to, but when the public sees shit like this, they quickly assume that every time a cop puts on his lights he is doing so for personal gain, regardless of what he may REALLY be doing
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I find all the donut references and stories amusing.  I haven't been inside a donut shop in decades.  I don't know any officer who has.  Just another sterotype from the ignorant.

BTW:  Are you aware of what a "Yobo" is?  Ever been to Korea?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I find all the donut references and stories amusing.  I haven't been inside a donut shop in decades.  I don't know any officer who has.  Just another sterotype from the ignorant.

I drive by a Krispy Kreme doughnut shop at least 4 times a day. They do like doughnuts. The story I told above was true. Same shop
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Maybe in your city there are no good donut shops.
If you are ever in Miami area and want to kill few hours let me know and I'll show you dozens cops at several DD and KK shops in the area.  

Do I know what "yobo" means?  Yes.  Thats what my wife calls me
Have I been to Korea? Yes, last time was about 14 months ago... I been going back to the Old country every year or two for past 30+ years to visit families.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

While not on a call, but on the clock, all the regular traffic laws apply to cops - True or False?

In Nebraska here's what you get for being an emergency vehicle:
Section 60-6,114
Authorized emergency vehicles; privileges; conditions.

(1) Subject to the conditions stated in the Nebraska Rules of the Road, the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle, when responding to an emergency call, when pursuing an actual or suspected violator of the law, or when responding to but not when returning from a fire alarm, may:

(a) Stop, park, or stand, irrespective of the provisions of the rules, and disregard regulations governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions; and

(b) Except for wreckers towing disabled vehicles and highway maintenance vehicles and equipment:

(i) Proceed past a steady red indication, a flashing red indication, or a stop sign but only after slowing down as may be necessary for safe operation; and

(ii) Exceed the maximum speed limits so long as he or she does not endanger life, limb, or property.

(2) Except when operated as a police vehicle, the exemptions granted in subsection (1) of this section shall apply only when the driver of such vehicle, while in motion, sounds an audible signal by bell, siren, or exhaust whistle as may be reasonably necessary and when such vehicle is equipped with at least one lighted light displaying a red light visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred feet to the front of such vehicle.

(3) The exemptions granted in subsection (1) of this section shall not relieve the driver from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons, nor shall such provisions protect such driver from the consequences of his or her reckless disregard for the safety of others.

(4) Authorized emergency vehicles operated by police and fire departments shall not be subject to the size and weight limitations of sections 60-6,288 to 60-6,290 and 60-6,294.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#29]
We were taught 15 mph over the posted limit for driving an ambulance.

FWIW, the governer in ours topped vehicle speed out at 69 mph.  Really embarassing when you get caught up behind a slowpoke, turn on the lights, and then barely go faster or even slower than traffic on that clean, dry, and straight road.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Driving on the interstate today, and a cop passed me, lit up like a christmas tree.

I was happy, because at least he wasn't after me.

Curious, I accelerated to try to keep up with him, because he was well out of his jurisdiction.
He was a county sheriff 15 miles inside a neighboring county, going farther away from home.

Lets just say that I know he was doing at least 100mph for at least 20 miles,
until I lost sight of him.  

Not that I care.  
I understand that these guys need to get to where they are needed.

But it did make me wonder
While performing duties for their job, are there speed limits?

In some states the Sheriffs have broad statewide authority, not just in certain counties. Varies by state I am sure.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
but when the public sees shit like this, they quickly assume that every time a cop puts on his lights he is doing so for personal gain, regardless of what he may REALLY be doing

Maybe the public, and you, should stop assuming the worst and learn why they do such things.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

In some states the Sheriffs have broad statewide authority, not just in certain counties. Varies by state I am sure.

That could be.  

The reason he was going so far out of his jurisdiction wasn't really an issue at the time,
although now that I think about it, he was in another State police district, a different county,
and he was closer to Iowa City than his home base of Davenport.  (Iowa)

I joked that he must have only had an hour lunch, and wanted to get Orange Chicken at the
Panda Express in the Coral Ridge Mall.  At those speeds, he could have probably made the
round trip in less than an hour.

It was sunny, somewhere between 40-50 degrees.  And it is Iowa.
Like I said, I was doing 90 and never once felt like I was a danger.
(as opposed to me doing 90 in a Yugo, where everyone on the road is in danger)
He could have been going 150 for all I care, and not have been a danger to anyone.
Hell, I was doing 90 for at least 20 miles, and never had to slow down for anyone.
The biggest risk to him would have been grandma moving to pass a semi and not checking
her mirrors, OR a deer.  Traffic was not heavy at all.

This seems to have taken a turn towards a cop bashing thread.
This was certainly not my intension.

I've heard that emergency vehicles (including police) have to obey some rules all of the time,
and all rules some of the time.  

Granted, things have probably changed since I took Drivers Education.
I am pretty sure that I was told that emergency vehicles could run a red light,
but that they still had to stop first.  

We had a cruiser running with lights and sirens a year ago not even slow down for a red light,
and pulvarized an old lady who had a green light.  No charges against him.  
She was charged with failure to yield to an emergency vehicle.
Everyone was injured, but nobody was killed.  She claims she didn't see or hear him,
which is very likely at that particular intersection.
It was in the news for a while because everything pointed to negligence on the officer's part,
but the department claims they have the right away when lights and sirens are on.

I've been on the interstates in the past where a cop blew past me so insanely fast that
my car literally rocked from his wake.  (estimated he was doing 150 minimum)

Which begs another question...

The computer in my car limits the vehicle speed to 110mph.

Do police cars have any computer controlled speed limitations?

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Agency policy usually further restricts this (for instance, I was in a volunteer FD that stated you could not exceed the speed limit even though it was legal - if you got caught, you lost your driving privileges until a chief was willing to allow you back behind the wheel).

When I was a Volunteer we were allowed 5 over, NO more, even in our apparatus
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm so glad there were no donut shops where I worked.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe in your city there are no good donut shops.
If you are ever in Miami area and want to kill few hours let me know and I'll show you dozens cops at several DD and KK shops in the area.  

Do I know what "yobo" means?  Yes.  Thats what my wife calls me
Have I been to Korea? Yes, last time was about 14 months ago... I been going back to the Old country every year or two for past 30+ years to visit families.

my aunt is korean as well....(married my uncle after a tour in Korea...lol) and Ive always heard her call him this and him call her this...what *does* it mean?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
pfffft....

Have you ever seen a cop wait at a light with everyone else?  If so, were you suddenly filled with respect and admiration?  I doubt it.

Just because a cop is responding to a prioroty call doesn't mean he has to use the emergency lights and siren the entire time.  Example:  Burglary in progress - I'm going to violate lots of traffic calls getting to the scene, but I don't want bad guy to see or hear me coming.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#37]
There is no direct English translation to "Yobo" but it is something like "honey" or "sweetie".
A husband can use the term to call the wife and vice versa... sorta like the way I call my wife "mi  amore" (she's Latin).  It is a loving way to call your spouse.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#38]
   More often then not we will be going lights and siren and be halfway to the scene when patrol on location will advise that the victim got out of the overturned car and is OK.  Or we will be again halfway to the structure fire only to hear a recall from the deputy or chief that it was just burning popcorn in the microwave.  Point being that it is possible when you see a police car turn off the lights and siren and pull into a donut shop he had received a recall and decided that he might as well stop for coffee.  In other words don't be to quick to judge.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I've been on the interstates in the past where a cop blew past me so insanely fast that

Not possible.  Ford Crown Vics with the police/interceptor package stop at 123-128 MPH, depending on how much gear they are carrying and what kind of lightbar is on the roof.  The Caprices stopped at somewhere around 132-136 MPH.

Mustangs and Camaros  would get a little closer, stopping at about 144 MPH.

Which begs another question...

The computer in my car limits the vehicle speed to 110mph.

Do police cars have any computer controlled speed limitations?

Some departments have their vehicles electronically limited to a set maximum speed.  Not many, but a few.  It depends on the local governing agency.

People here make assumptions that all LE agencies are goverened under some central body that sets policys and procedures for depts across the country (not The_Reaper, specifically, but many responding to this thread).  Nothing could be further from the truth.

Lastly, judging by comments made by some in this thread, alot of normal, rational adults become complete idiots when it comes to any discussion involving law enforcement.

BC
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Lastly, judging by comments made by some in this thread, alot of normal, rational adults become complete idiots when it comes to any discussion involving law enforcement.

BC

Any thread regarding LEO procedures or the Rule of Law.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Our SOP allows "10 MPH" over posted "when safe to do so"...In most cases, that is plenty, however; I have - on occasion - driven faster than that.

TO THOSE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE USE OF LIGHTS/SIRENS TO MAKE U-TURNS, OR SEEMINGLY GET TO DUNCAN DONUGHTS FASTER:...
Sometimes (quite frequently, actually)...we get dispatched to a call, only to get cancelled en route.
Thus, we are going down the road code 3, and suddenly turn off our lights/sirens.
This can happen after we have made a u-turn to respond to the call while using our lights/sirens.
Here is another scenario that often gets complaints: We get dispatched...go en route code 3...get cancelled half way to the call.
So...we decide that, while we are out, we might as well do the grocery shopping for the shift.
(Unless we drive two blocks past the grocery store before turning off our lights...people will call the Fire District and complain that we used our emergency lights to get to the store faster)

Im sure the same thing happens to the PD at the donught shop.

NOW...IF YOU REALLY WANT SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT...Watch what all the zombies on the road do when an emergency vehicle comes up behind them code 3 (especially at an intersection)...And imagine that emergency vehicle is coming to rescue your mother.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Here is a link to a thread in the Nevada forum discussing an NHP trooper who killed 4 people while running 119 mph.  This happened last month.
Latest info is the trooper will face charges.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=22&t=226169
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#43]
He could have been on an assist call to another county.  Many agencies have agreements that allow LEOs from other jurisdictions to assist when something goes down and they need lots of help.  That could have been the situation.  

I never get mad at those guys, even if I think that they may be wrong.  Here's why.

I don't know where that car is going.  AND
If I call and need a cop....I want the fast one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Some police cars I've seen will put on the lights to get through traffic or something. Followed them, know for a fact. Put on lights, go through traffic. Turn lights off resume cruzing speed, go to gas station or such and take there time... Or even one guy did it to get through red lights and go to his house.

Some friends I have will follow them on the highway. And one of my friends passed a cop of the other day doing 85, speed limit was 70. Crazy people I know ^, he was like. "Hey the cop is speeding, he cant give me a ticket".

Friends Dads average speed on the highway is around 100-115. Dude never gets caught by the police somehow, he's a polition so the few times he's been stopped he never gets in any trouble The city he lives in police dont stop his wife or his vehicle anymore.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Oh, I forgot to mention.  In FL, a cop, non code 3/priority is allowed 15 over the limit at the officer's discretion, for any reason.  Just a thought.  And that answer is straight out of the florida statute book.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
pfffft....

I had one zip past me with his siren blaring and then a block ahead, turned in to Krispy Kreme and went to the drive in

That's possibly what you 'thought' you saw. Here is what probably happened:

Dispatch: "Queens to 53William"
Me (53W): "53William send the job!"
Dispatch: "Respond to the unconfirmed male shot at XYZ Main St"
Me: "Show me 10-63 (responding)to the job"  <Lights and sirens go on>
Dispatch: "Queens to 53William"
Me: "53William go"
Dispatch: " 10-87 (Cancel) the response. NYPD on scene states 10-90 (Call unfounded)"
Me: "10-87 10-4. Show me available." <light and sirens off>
Me (to my partner): "Oh well, another BS unfounded shooting. Do me a favor, we're passing a Dunkin Donuts....Lets stop for coffee."

I've done that dozens of times.....Not knowing exactly what we were doing, all the average person saw was us flying through traffic (lights/sirens on), then shutting down the lights and pulling into DD.....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not possible.  Ford Crown Vics with the police/interceptor package stop at 123-128 MPH, depending on how much gear they are carrying and what kind of lightbar is on the roof.  The Caprices stopped at somewhere around 132-136 MPH.

Mustangs and Camaros  would get a little closer, stopping at about 144 MPH.

Well...  I did say it was an estimate.  
Had to be close though.  

This was maybe 10 years ago, and it was a Chevy Caprice.  Illinois State Police.

I'm a little stunned that the Caprice tops out at 136.

My 4-door  4-cyinder  5-speed Saturn will do 110, and would go faster if the computer didn't kill the ignition.

I rented the new-style Impala with the V6, and the computer never had a chance to assume control.
It ran out of steam at 106.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#48]
They can't go any faster than 87 mph.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Hey.. umm.. off topic, but because someone is chumming for cops, the cops will be here to answer this traffic question.

If  your at a 4 way intersection with a 4 way traffic light (like, say Alpha and Preston in North Dallas)

And you have the red light, the cross traffic has a green light. But the people with the green light arn't going.  In fact, no traffic in any of the 4 directions is moving because there is a fire truck with lights an sirens in the lane with the red light.  

Is it legal to run the red light to get out of it's way?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

False.   It depends on the local motor vehicle laws.  In some jurisdictions (British Columbia for example) speeding limits and parking rules don't apply to "emergency vehicles".

That's not carte blanche to do stupid stuff...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top