Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 4:47:51 PM EDT
I just watched a Russian war movie in which a cow was shot with a burst of tracers. The scene was shot close enough to see the impact of the rounds. The cow jumped about a foot off the ground, then went down hard. Afterward they filmed the cow as it lay dying, it's legs twitching and eyes rolling around in their sockets. Very dramatic and powerful scene. I am sure the former Soviet Union didn't have anything like PETA when the movie was released in 1985 but it seems like even they should have had some type of laws against that sort of thing.

The only other movie I recall an animal being killed in was the scene from "Apocalypse Now" where a tribe of Montagnards used a machete on an ox.

Where do you draw the line between "art" and cruelty?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Other night I saw a video on TV of some south americans shoot a cow to death with a bunch of crappy bows, about 30 people shot it, the arrows only went a few inches into him. it jumped up and went down.

I was supprised they showed that on TV.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Uhm, questions about the morality of things is a personnel thing.  It does not take a village.  Obviously, machine gunning a cow is probably not the right thing to do, but it sounds cool.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Try shooting a cow with a TOW, BOOOOM! ahh forget I said anything.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Story time.  Must have been night time with a cherry gunner... or a very bored NCO.  Or a 2nd lieutenant that couldn't say no.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Where do you draw the line between "art" and cruelty?

Setting a kitten on fire is on an entirely different level than a war film where a farm animal that was probably going to be a food source.

It cruel, inhumane, and utterly disgusting
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#6]
If you take a trip to Cambodia, one of the "tourist attractions" there is a "weapons experience center" where you can shoot various firearms, machine guns, and even an RPG.  According to the former coworker of mine who went, one of the RPG targets you can purchase is a live cow.

(I've thought about taking the trip each time I went to Thailand, but didn't want to deal with the malaria risk.  Didn't want to shoot a cow, but firing an RPG might be fun.)
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#7]
There's something about people that enjoy killing an animal just for the fuck of it that I find extremely disturbing, but people that enjoy torturing them should be offed immediately.

Killing one for food is a totally different story, before some yahoo that likes killing things for no reason pipes in "Are you a vegetarian?"
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I had a teacher who was in Iraq during Desert Storm and he told us about a guy in his unit that got court marshalled because he blew up a guy's camel with a rocket.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a teacher who was in Iraq during Desert Storm and he told us about a guy in his unit that got court marshalled because he blew up a guy's camel with a rocket.

Just a different way of lighting up a Camel.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a different way of lighting up a Camel.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top