Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 11:10:49 AM EDT
I work on a Navy base that does work on radar systems. From my days in the Navy I remember that when the radar systems at the air base were on my stereo speakers would make odd noises.

Now a little background. Several enviro groups have filed a lawsuit against the installation on the base where I work. Result was that they were not supposed to be using it. (brief but in a nutshell)

Now I find my speakers at work making the same noise I experienced in the Navy while on the air base.

Do you guys think they are frying our/my brain(s) with all this radar juice?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Call bio-environmental.  Ask for an RF analsys of your workcenter.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If it is a buzz, then a nearby cellphone or radio might do the same thing.

I get the same thing at home which is about the same distance from the installation as my work.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I get the same thing at home which is about the same distance from the installation as my work.

Is your cell phone close to your PC (both at home and at work)?  Cell phones will induce a "chop chop" kind of noise into certain kinds of electronic equipment if it's close by.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Cell phone rarely goes into the computer room at home. At work its normally in my pack. Roughly 5-6 feet from my PC.
BTW, this week is the first time I have heard it since the lawsuit.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#6]
They could just be picking up some 60 cycle hum from a power cable or electronic device near by them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They could just be picking up some 60 cycle hum from a power cable or electronic device near by them.

Not possible. System has been static for over 3 years.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#8]
PC speakers are normally made like crap and have long cords.  I've heard all sorts of crazy shit come out of them when there is a close source of interference.  My girlfriend's parents live under an FM radio mast, and I've heard the station faintly through the speakers with them on and the computer off.

So yea, you might have some sort of brain-melting deathray aimed at you.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#9]
It is a giant communal vibrator being used by the hippie commune down the road.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It is a giant communal vibrator being used by the hippie commune down the road.

They have one of those up the coast. I think they call it Santa Barbara.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not possible. System has been static for over 3 years.

If nothing has changed, then I stick by my first reccomendation.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#12]
It's gonna explode! Get out of there!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Might not be a bad idea. Although it's kinda cool having a missle launcher on your beach.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#14]
What cellphone company are you using?  Pretty much everyone but Sprint has been causing speakers at work to make noise.  Did you recently change computer speakers?  A lot of people at work got new speakers, not sure who made them, and started getting the noise but my speakers which haven't been changed out never produce the noise.  I share my office and my buddys new speakers make noise when our boss's Nextel phone dials or rings while my speakers which are in the same proximity don't.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What cellphone company are you using?  Pretty much everyone but Sprint has been causing speakers at work to make noise.  Did you recently change computer speakers?  A lot of people at work got new speakers, not sure who made them, and started getting the noise but my speakers which haven't been changed out never produce the noise.  I share my office and my buddys new speakers make noise when our boss's Nextel phone dials or rings while my speakers which are in the same proximity don't.

I am using Cingular, which it has been for the last two years.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are at Point Mugu, that's life.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Have you experienced any episodes of missing time lately? Any experiences with little gray people? Any unexplained implants under the skin?

They have been trying to reach you. Just listen more closely to the interference.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1 I thought someone was aiming mind-control rays at me until I figured that out.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#19]
better wrap some tin-foil around your head just to be sure...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Now here is a reply that I can use. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now here is a reply that I can use. Thanks.

You fool. You're falling right into their trap.

Link
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#22]
RADAR interference is mainly noticeable as the main beam passes over your area. You may here some slight continuous buzzing, but when that main beam passes your area, you will definitely hear the difference. The RADAR system I worked with as a chairman (TPS-70) completed one revolution every 10-seconds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top