Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2001 6:19:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 6:28:20 AM EDT
[#1]
well considering that the Spas means Special Purpose Assult Shotgun , it think it made itself a very easy target, it was also a full-auto shotgun if i remember correctly.....but then agian maby it just lookd mean.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Just [i]LOOK[/i] at the thing for chrissakes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#3]
FYI-

There were several versions of the SPAS Shotgun made, the SPAS 12 and SPAS 15 being the most popular.  There were only about 200 of the SPAS 15's imported into the country before Bush banned them.  The 15 is the one that looks like a AR on steroids, and they run about $5,000 now!
Those are the ones that could be had in full auto.

I have become a little educated on them since my partner (in the Minneapolis P.D.) killed a guy who was trying to kill him with a SPAS-12 last week.  Score: Good guys 1 - Bad guy 0.

A good resource for info on them is www.spas12.com

Ryan
www.bluelinegear.com
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 6:44:45 AM EDT
[#4]
a local pawn shop had one of these for sale about 6 years ago-could not come up with the 500 bucks they wanted for it. CRAP!!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#5]
The "Sport Utility Shotgun" look made the liberals piss in their pants... so they banned it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 7:12:34 AM EDT
[#6]
The SPAS-12 is simply proof that it's the LOOK that gets banned, not FUNCTION. The thing was atrocious on semi-----wouldn't cycle half the time. Every now and then someone would get a real gem-one that worked every time. Those were infrequent. It was heavy, awkward, and not good for socials. The pump action was more reliable, but a lot of people claimed it to be stiff. The LAW-12 was an improvement, but required heavy loads to cycle reliably. Give me an 11-87 or a 9200a1 jungle gun ANY day....
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ryan@bluelinegear:
FYI-

[b]I have become a little educated on them since my partner (in the Minneapolis P.D.) killed a guy who was trying to kill him with a SPAS-12 last week.  Score: Good guys 1 - Bad guy 0.[/b]

Ryan, FWIW the BG probably couldn't figure out what to do with all the extra levers/buttons on the SPAS. No offence intended to anyone but the SPAS is a piece of crap IMO. It definitely violates a primary weapons design criteria, the KISS principle! I'd have to agree it was banned from import because of it's looks. More feel good regulation. BTW, I'm glad to hear your partner is OK.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Mainly that it was used in some movies (The Terminator, for one) and the dumba$$es in Washington learned everything they know about guns from movies.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I purchased a SPAS-12, before the ban was being talked about (got it for $300) [:D] There is a certain, cool factor about it. Though, as several have stated, it's very difficult to use. Best bet is to go with a pump-gun.

The SPAS is like a sports car, they are touchy and have to be treated as such.

I have a 68 vette and a 00 mini-van, if i got to get the hospital right away, which do you think I would take? The mini-van, of course! When you abolutely have a job to do, use the most dependable tool available!

Also don't believe SPAS stands for:
Special Purpose Assault Shotgun
If I can figure out where my manual is I'll post it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a spas12 and I love it.
Would never use it in a SHTF scenerio.

It does have a reputation for jamming but I think its the ammo that you use.

Go here for some more info about the Spas12:

[url]www.spas12.com[/url]
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#12]
kinda like Street Sweeper the thing just looked "evil" to the anti's
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Great looking gun...have they been banned....

NightRanger
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I looked into the SPAS--basically, it is a heavy, unreliable shotgun that is a pain in the ass to get parts for (IF you can even get parts).  It does get 10 cool points for it's looks though.

A far better shotgun is the Benelli M3 (or, in just semi-auto, the Benelli M1).  

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Sporting Purpose Automatic Shotgun!
Yes the gun is a little difficult to use,so you realy need to drill with it occasionally.
My spas has been very reliable, no jams no glitch's except when i have not picked it up for a while...uhhh i forgot what does what.
Even a friend of mine has one and his is also reliable.
We took our spas's to the range on a slow day when no one but us and the range master was around.He was checking out our gun's while we were skeet shooting,and then asked us "Do you think you could hit those clays one handed?"
meaning stock folded.So we gave it a try,I was real surprised,we probably hit about 75% of what was thrown. Lucky?maybe,but a lot of fun anyway.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Sriker 12,USAS-12orStreetsweepers are all considered DD.Owners have to May 1st to register them as such without the tax.After it says fine imprisonment yada yada yada.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#18]
[IMG]http://spas12.com/spas/spas12.gif[/IMG]

I love mine and I don't remember it ever Jamming..... of coarse I don't use junk loads and I don't use the pump feature too much...  expelling nine rounds in less than 3 seconds in semi auto is pretty impressive ....  [:)]

I thought the reason they were banned was because they were effected by the ban of no more importing of assault weapons....  The spas are made in Italy.... I bought mine before the ban ....

realist out
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 9:53:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Because Arnie used one! And that dude tried to shoot a Raptor with one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2001 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#20]
"Reach in the back there and hand me that crowd pleaser" - Denzel Washington in Virtuosity.

Excellent visual appeal for the uneducated crime-rights folks in the world.  That's what matters in gun bans.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top