Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/12/2012 9:35:33 AM EST
I have three of these sitting at a piece of property we bought. Please tell me what they are, and what they might be used for?

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 9:37:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/12/2012 9:43:28 AM EST by w12x40]
They're pieces of precast concrete plank. They're very popular for floor and roof decks in low-rise hotels.

ETA: For a "what cool shit can I make out of this" perspective, they're too short to achieve their original purpose of an inexpensive long span and light weight floor member. The hollow cores mean they will always be a little weak for point loads. The plank is only intended to span parallel to the ribs. Lots of precast plank are pretensioned, and cutting the reinforcing effectively makes the slab unreinforced.

Would probably make a nice flat section of driveway for residential use.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 9:41:34 AM EST
Good for building a fort.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 9:43:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By JINXR:
Good for building a fort.

That's probably how they will be used. Unless they are caps for a cesspool.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 9:46:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By w12x40:
They're pieces of precast concrete plank. They're very popular for floor and roof decks in low-rise hotels.

ETA: For a "what cool shit can I make out of this" perspective, they're too short to achieve their original purpose of an inexpensive long span and light weight floor member. The hollow cores mean they will always be a little weak for point loads. The plank is only intended to span parallel to the ribs. Lots of precast plank are pretensioned, and cutting the reinforcing effectively makes the slab unreinforced.

Would probably make a nice flat section of driveway for residential use.

agree. those have interesting core profiles. i have a project under construction right now that is using hollow core's product, but their cavities are round rather than oblong.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 9:51:47 AM EST
What I'd really like to figure out is. What are they doing in a residential area that is surrounded by agricultural?

Someone probably didn't know how to get rid of them, and decided to toss them in the woods years ago.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 9:59:05 AM EST
you dont just toss a thousand pound piece of concrete in the woods. I bet there is a bunker under it or maybee BHO's birth certificate.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:02:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
you dont just toss a thousand pound piece of concrete in the woods. I bet there is a bunker under it or maybee BHO's birth certificate.

You forgot the zombies.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:06:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/12/2012 10:07:41 AM EST by all4freedom]
That's a brand name of precast hollow core concerete deck. I have drawn millions of square feet of those panels for shop drawings. The shape of the core and the keyway at the edges is a prioprietary thing to make them "unique". Round cores are the easiest to fabricate.

They're everywhere. Roof of everything from car washes to jail cells, residential applications for garages with basements under them, commercial applications like floors of hotels, etc.

Kind of neat/odd that you had them on your property. Former owner work at a precast yard and "borrow" them for a future project?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:11:27 AM EST
It's a bunker. In before the 14 pages of nothing.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:13:17 AM EST

Maybe I should rename the thread. "Guess what's in the bunker I found."
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:13:43 AM EST
Originally Posted By BuickDan:

You forgot the zombies.

You should tell us more about your GN.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:16:43 AM EST
Originally Posted By all4freedom:
That's a brand name of precast hollow core concerete deck. I have drawn millions of square feet of those panels for shop drawings. The shape of the core and the keyway at the edges is a prioprietary thing to make them "unique". Round cores are the easiest to fabricate.

They're everywhere. Roof of everything from car washes to jail cells, residential applications for garages with basements under them, commercial applications like floors of hotels, etc.

Kind of neat/odd that you had them on your property. Former owner work at a precast yard and "borrow" them for a future project?

Not sure where he worked. There are only four houses on the private road that leads to the property. I think all of them are stick built.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:17:19 AM EST
Originally Posted By Stiffy:

I'll come up with something clever, just for you.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:21:08 AM EST
Those are crypt covers.

Have you killed the zombies dead yet?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:24:41 AM EST
Originally Posted By CarbineDad:
Those are crypt covers.

Have you killed the zombies dead yet?

Next time I'm out there, I'll put my I'll have one of the kids put their ear on it, and see if they can hear any scratching.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:31:03 AM EST
It's a start towards your own personal Stonehenge.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:31:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By Gun_Crank:

Maybe I should rename the thread. "Guess what's in the bunker I found."

yeah, then take 9 months trying to open it. You tease.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:31:14 AM EST

Not sure where he worked. There are only four houses on the private road that leads to the property. I think all of them are stick built.

One of your neighbors has a top secret gun vault. Or maybe you do and you don't even know it! Quick, start tearing out floors looking for the secret hatch!
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:35:38 AM EST
You guys better stop it or this guy will get a ..... Well you know.

Originally Posted By Stiffy:

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:39:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/12/2012 10:40:30 AM EST by Lorax]
That's a very heavy series 4 foot deck plank. You can tell by how many strand are in them and how high up the strands are in the plank. 7 years of precast QC here.

Some residential homes use it when they don't want columns in their basements. I don't know what they would be doing there. I've seen people use scrap pieces to ford creeks.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:41:09 AM EST
Those are used to construct possum cages...

Your welcome
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 1:01:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By Lorax:
That's a very heavy series 4 foot deck plank. You can tell by how many strand are in them and how high up the strands are in the plank. 7 years of precast QC here.

Some residential homes use it when they don't want columns in their basements. I don't know what they would be doing there. I've seen people use scrap pieces to ford creeks.

There is a river close by. I will have to take a look at the garage aprons in the area.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:21:18 AM EST
They would make an awesome work bench top. Seal the surface with epoxy or put a sacrificial layer of 1/2 " plywood on it.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 1:48:30 PM EST
did you figure it out yet?

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 1:50:12 PM EST
Shooting backstop
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 2:07:17 PM EST
Shooting BENCH.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 2:13:27 PM EST
looks like they are set up to be steps for a mobile home or trailer?
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 2:47:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/14/2012 2:48:39 PM EST by NoStockBikes]
Looks like a good roof for a root cellar/storm shelter.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 3:12:29 PM EST

That mobile home comment might be on to something.

There is a poured sidewalk about 100 feet away, where a mobile home used to sit. Maybe they used these for support.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 3:38:35 PM EST

That mobile home comment might be on to something.

There is a poured sidewalk about 100 feet away, where a mobile home used to sit. Maybe they used these for support.

there ya go. perhaps the tounge sat on em and they chained it down to keep it in place during tornadoes.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:17:09 PM EST
There is a garage type structure out there too that I didn't mention.
Today i went out there and dug down in front of the apron to see if the apron was poured or a few more of these.
It was poured.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:57:05 AM EST
Well, its been a week.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:22:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 2:23:27 AM EST by rfm05]
I used to work for a Spancrete plant, and that looks like 6 or 8", and 4 ft width. Is there strand on the top and bottom?

They can be used for walls, floors, retaining walls, sound walls, etc.

At those lengths, they have pretty stout load carrying capacity. Those look like pieces that were scrap from cutting down a longer piece.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:54:42 AM EST
What do they cost?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:07:29 AM EST
Looks like you just found the roof panels for your underground bunker!

Woo hoo!
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:10:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 3:11:05 AM EST by Lorax]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:
looks like they are set up to be steps for a mobile home or trailer?

I'm going with this. I've seen it used as such. Especially the way they are laid out symmetrically with a metered step.
They are made with prestressed strands for straddling long spans. I bet that these are scrap pieces. We had tons of pieces like this left over from the ends of beds all the time.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:16:53 AM EST
In pic #2 your using them for their orignal purpuse.

Beta version floor mat for Dance Dance Revalution .

NICE foot action BTW
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:16:39 PM EST
Well, its been a week.

Still not sure. I'll bet the guy that said mobile home stairs was right. Remember there is a third on the property not to far from the two that are pictured.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:33:59 PM EST

Most likely someone built a basement under a garage and dumped the left overs there, thinking no one would know or care. Now days the dimensions are precisely measured and sent to the factory for that kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:36:59 PM EST
There is a garage type structure out there too that I didn't mention.
Today i went out there and dug down in front of the apron to see if the apron was poured or a few more of these.
It was poured.

I've seen people pour concrete on top of that type of material for a flatter floor. Sucks for the guys pouring the floors, though, as the total height changes as more concrete is poured, even though you're finishing right behind the poured concrete.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:40:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By KRONIIK:
Shooting BENCH.

winner
Top Top