Posted: 10/4/2004 7:19:57 AM EDT
Did it reach space?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#1]
It made it, its all over CNN!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Show me the money !!

Yup - there's a thread about it already.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/10/04/spaceshipone.attempt.cnn/index.html

Privately funded craft reaches altitude requirement

By Michael Coren
CNN
Monday, October 4, 2004 Posted: 11:19 AM EDT (1519 GMT)

Followed by a chase plane, SpaceShipOne is carried to the altitude from which it will separate from the White Knight and make its record attempt.

MOJAVE DESERT, California (CNN) -- SpaceShipOne climbed into space for the second time in a week to claim the $10 million Ansari X Prize.

X Prize officials said the privately funded craft reached 368,000 feet -- well into space -- Monday to win the $10 million prize.

The threshold of space is 328,000 feet.

Pilot Brian Binnie reported a shaky flight with "a little roll" but did not experience the 29 rolls Mike Melvill experienced last week.

Space ShipOne and its mother ship, the White Knight, featured a new paint job promoting Virgin Group, Richard Branson firm, which recently announced a deal to license the SpaceShipOne technology for a fleet of commercial spacecraft.It could also be the most lucrative 3 1/2 minutes in space for the Mojave Aerospace Ventures Team.

Spacecraft designer Burt Rutan told a crowd gathered at his home in the Mojave Desert on Sunday that he was confident of the success of today's flight -- and winning the $10 million Ansari X Prize check.

After some unexpected acrobatics during the last flight, Rutan said Monday's would be a smooth flight, but he was prepared for stability issues.

"We believe we have solved these and we don't believe we'll see the rolls tomorrow," he said. "But if we do, we don't believe they're dangerous. ... After all, what we're doing is research."

Binnie, who piloted the first powered SpaceShipOne launch, was at the helm of the craft after it was released from the belly of the White Knight turbojet at about 50,000 feet.

Within seconds after igniting its rocket, it was traveling faster than a bullet out of a rifle.

The spacecraft is outfitted with a stronger engine and some aerodynamic modifications from its first record-breaking flight into space on June 21.

Melvill flew the craft's first mission to space and reached, just barely, the required 62-mile altitude, passing the internationally recognized boundary of space. Wind shear and a jammed control on the tail meant the craft veered about 20 miles off course, but it returned for a smooth landing. It was only SpaceShipOne's fourth flight using the rocket engine

On Wednesday, SpaceShipOne streaked even higher to 337, 569 feet (64 miles). However, during its ascent, the private spacecraft began a series of rolls that Melvill brought under control only after ending the rocket burn 11 seconds early.

Today's suborbital flight is the second within two weeks needed to win the X Prize for the desert workshop of pilots and engineers who have continually pushed the envelope.

SpaceShipOne's thrust is provided by two innocuous substances that, when mixed together, are explosive: nitrous oxide and rubber.

A fuel tank about six feet in diameter at the center of the craft holds liquid nitrous oxide, also known as laughing gas. A hollow tube leading from the tank to the engine nozzle is filled with solid rubber. The combustive combination produces thousands of pounds of thrust, although exact amount remains secret.

Most importantly, says aerospace engineer and spacecraft designer Rutan, it has opened the world -- and a private market -- to spaceflight.

"I strongly feel that, if we are successful, our program will mark the beginning of a renaissance for manned space flight," said Rutan in an X Prize statement.

Peter Diamandis, co-founder of the X Prize Foundation, said the $10 million award is intended to spur civilian spaceflight. The nonprofit X Prize Foundation is sponsoring the contest to promote the development of a low-cost, efficient craft for space tourism in the same way prize competitions stimulated commercial aviation in the early 20th century. The prize is fully funded through the end of the year

Copyright 2004 CNN. All rights reserved
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes.  At the end of the show it mentioned on Sept. 30 (I think) they completed the first leg for the Xprize.

edit: Dear Lord it took me like 10 seconds to type that and got beat by 3 replys.  sheesh!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#5]
And they beat the X-15's altitude record.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Is it me, or is this a proud day for all mankind?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I watched that show last night on the disco channel and it was amazing.

the damn thing just tumbles uncontrollably while its in space, then settles down into its re-entry attitude by mere aerodynamics.

Amazing bit of engineering!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No...It's a proud day for America.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hmmmmmm
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:38:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully the other teams around the world aren't going to quit.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:39:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it's a proud day for mankind, and private America.

Include the private, there's a reason the prize mandates no government involvement.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:40:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hmmmmmm

We did this ALONE.  Sir Branson is trying to hop on the bandwagon...but make no bones about it, thiis was an American venture and should be enjoyed as such.  Keep in mind only 3 nations have put a man into space.  Fuck a bunch of "For mankind".  When everyone else chips in and assumes some of the finiancial/human risk, then they can share the glory.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

How many DECADES later?  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hmmmmmm

We did this ALONE.  

Scaled Composites and Paul Allen did it alone.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hmmmmmm

We did this ALONE.  Sir Branson is trying to hop on the bandwagon...but make no bones about it, thiis was an American venture and should be enjoyed as such.  Keep in mind only 3 nations have put a man into space.  Fuck a bunch of "For mankind".  When everyone else chips in and assumes some of the finiancial/human risk, then they can share the glory.

Funny how yet another achievement of man can be reduced to borders and money. I for one am just plain happy our race has achieved another milestone.  Don't over complicate it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Won 10 million but cost over $20 million to produce.  Obviously its the prize and not the money thats important.  Congrats to Burt.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:46:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Funny how yet another achievement of man can be reduced to borders and money. I for one am just plain happy our race has achieved another milestone.  Don't over complicate it.

our race...you mean the American race...right.  I can gurantee the Chineese are not juming up and down right now.  I can gurantee the North Koreans are not jumping up and down right now.  I can gurantee Iran is not jumping up and down right now...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:51:04 AM EDT
[#18]
go, Microsoft!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

our race...you mean the American race...right.  I can gurantee the Chineese are not juming up and down right now.  I can gurantee the North Koreans are not jumping up and down right now.  I can gurantee Iran is not jumping up and down right now...

Because they will over complicate it as well, and some how turn it into some kind of threat against them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I hope there aren't anti-trust implications.  

You know, that engine was packaged with the thing and wasn't available seperately!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Ok, when do they start building the 9 passenger full-orbit version?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Awsome.

One step closer to colonizing other planets.

I read two Heinlein books this weekend too ... this makes them even more entertaining.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#23]
That is just badass!

Cameras aboard SpaceShipOne catch the spacecraft's flight in space, with the Earth seen below, during the spacecraft's Sept. 29, 2004 flight.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I fail to see how Communism or African culture contributed to "Man's" Achievement.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Ok, when do they start building the 9 passenger full-orbit version?

Virgin is hoping for the end of the decade.

Of course, with 20 some teams working on it, and more prizes (like $50 mil for an orbital vehicle) the competition just might drive it along faster. Who knows?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
That is just badass!

www.space.com/images/ig221_above_earth_lg.jpg

Cameras aboard SpaceShipOne catch the spacecraft's flight in space, with the Earth seen below, during the spacecraft's Sept. 29, 2004 flight.

There's just something about a black sky.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I fail to see how Communism or African culture contributed to "Man's" Achievement.

I guess you do
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:08:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At least not in a positive way.  We Americans strive to do things that are challenging.  We Americans have the drive and ambition to go beyond and take chances.  That is why the rest of the world fears us and harbors so much jealousy.  America has eveolved so many light years ahead of the rest of the planet that they simply cannot relate to our superior mental wavelength.  This is the root of Frances hatred of us.  France genuinely believed they were going to be the Superpower 50 years ago.  They resent us for what they cannot become.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is just badass!

anyone have a high rez version of that ... it would make for good computer walpaper today
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is just badass!

anyone have a high rez version of that ... it would make for good computer walpaper today

I concur.

Also, slight correction on my post three posts ago. Virgin hopes to have something running by 2007.  Start putting your pennies in a jar.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

but nowhere near the speed

now maybe rutan will put it in a wind tunnel and figure out why it likes to snaproll
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#32]
That is sweet!

10/4/04. It might not seem like much now but I hope this is the date that space got opened up to the Common Man.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
That is sweet!

10/4/04. It might not seem like much now but I hope this is the date that space got opened up to the Common Man.

at 200 grand a ride, hardly common

something for the rich and well to do
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Show me the money !!

Yup - there's a thread about it already.

$30,000,000 in funding to reach that $10,000,000 prize, but it's definitely cool as hell.  NASA couldn't even fart during planning of two manned space flights on that kind of budget.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is sweet!

That is always the way it starts.  Before we know it, 50 years has passed and you can sign up for frequent flyer programs on your wristwatch internet terminal.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is sweet!

1: OK, for the "Common Millionaire" for now, happy?

2: This was done independently... There will be a ton of trickle down technologies from this... Frankly, I see spaceflight becoming much more common in the next 20 years if the next flight doesn't blow up...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I thought they fixed the snap roll problem and traced it to a malfunctioning stabilitor.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is sweet!

That is always the way it starts.  Before we know it, 50 years has passed and you can sign up for frequent flyer programs on your wristwatch internet terminal.

And a lot of us will likely be dead by then.    I always dreamed of being an astronaut.  This is definitely an awesome day to be alive.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:40:56 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

1: OK, for the "Common Millionaire" for now, happy?

2: This was done independently... There will be a ton of trickle down technologies from this... Frankly, I see spaceflight becoming much more common in the next 20 years if the next flight doesn't blow up...

Think about it's effect on transcontinental flight!  You could get to Europe in a fraction of the time it takes to fly there now.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is sweet!

That's the way new technologies work.  CD players, DVD players, VCRs, personal computers, automobiles, all started out as only being affordable by the super rich.  Now the "common man" easily affords such luxuries.

Plasma screen HDTVs will be next in a few years, and soon, spaceflight.  THis is truly a remarkable day in history!

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe because when you look at all of the genocide and other general warfare and killing in Africa, it makes you want to get the heck out of dodge to somewhere that they are not?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hmmmmmm

mac130, please don't sully this achievement by trying to collectivize it.  Make no mistake, this was the achievement of brilliant, passionate individuals operating in a free society made possible by our Founding Fathers and the blood of patriots who have defended America.  It is not by chance that this happened here.  These men were motivated not by political officers coercing them to perform.  They have done it for the love of space travel and the ambition and determination to make it happen.  Nothing could be more American nor more anti-collectivist.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Now that's what I call "burning rubber"!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Now that's what I call "burning rubber"!

I wonder how bad it stinks?  Car tires and laughing gas...go figure.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I thought they fixed the snap roll problem and traced it to a malfunctioning stabilitor.

My understanding was that they knew that they had a slightly unstable design on their hands.  Something to do with the Angle of the wings being off.  They've figured out how to fix it on future designs, but it isn't anything that can be retrofitted to the current ship.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#46]

mac130, please don't sully this achievement by trying to collectivize it.  Make no mistake, this was the achievement of brilliant, passionate individuals operating in a free society made possible by our Founding Fathers and the blood of patriots who have defended America.  It is not by chance that this happened here.  These men were motivated not by political officers coercing them to perform.  They have done it for the love of space travel and the ambition and determination to make it happen.  Nothing could be more American nor more anti-collectivist.

I'm not going to argue about this, nor change my mind. I'm ecstatic that this happened! I just see it as a great achievement for all mankind and not just Americans.
When you talk of space, it's an area beyond borders and politics. At least for now.
Yes I'm proud it was Americans first, but even more proud it was done at all.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I'm not going to argue about this, nor change my mind. I'm ecstatic that this happened! I just see it as a great achievement for all mankind and not just Americans.
When you talk of space, it's an area beyond borders and politics. At least for now.

That's BS...Total BS.  The Missle shield is a big politcal minefield for the current administration.  The Star Wars program was a big political minefield for the Reagan administration.
The launch of Chinas first Chinkonaght had out feds eyes wide open.  Space is nothing close to an open frontier...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's BS...Total BS.  The Missle shield is a big politcal minefield for the current administration.  The Star Wars program was a big political minefield for the Reagan administration.
The launch of Chinas first Chinkonaght had out feds eyes wide open.  Space is nothing close to an open frontier...

I'm done trying to open your narrow mind. You keep interjecting politics into a great accomplishment. If you can't see that I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a proud day for France, Russia, and Germany!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a proud day for France, Russia, and Germany!

I don't get it
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top