Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2010 5:36:11 PM EDT
hope it hasn't been posted yet, did a search, but didn't come up with anything.

For those of you lucky enough to be in the path, if you've never seen it, it is awsome. I wish it was coming closer to TX.

Link

Skywatchers Could Spot Discovery Re-EntryUpdated: 46 minutes ago
Print Text Size E-mail More
Michelle Ruiz
Contributor

AOL News (April 18) –– Early risers in several states across the U.S. heartland may be able to beat the Monday morning blues with a rare glimpse of a NASA spacecraft flying through the sky.

Before the space shuttle Discovery is scheduled to land at Florida's Kennedy Space Center Monday morning at 8:51 a.m, weather permitting, the shuttle may be visible as it travels southeast over the continental U.S. What appears to be a meteorite or a glowing cloud could be seen streaking overhead in dozens of cities and towns, including: Fort Peck Lake, Mont.; Pierre, S.D.; Sioux City, Iowa; St. Louis; Tupelo, Miss.; Birmingham, Ala.; and Jacksonville, Fla.Space   Space shuttle Discovery undocked from the International Space Station on Saturday in anticipation of a landing Monday. Four of the 13 on this mission were women, a world record. They are clockwise from lower right: Dorothy Metcalf-Lindenburger, Stephanie Wilson, Tracy Caldwell Dyson, and Naoko Yamazaki. Space Shuttle Discovery
Space shuttle Discovery undocked from the International Space Station on Saturday in anticipation of a landing Monday. Four of the 13 on this mission were women, a world record. They are clockwise from lower right: Dorothy Metcalf-Lindenburger, Stephanie Wilson, Tracy Caldwell Dyson, and Naoko Yamazaki. AP
NASA

The shuttle is scheduled to enter Earth's atmosphere over the central Pacific Ocean at 8:17 a.m. EDT and should be visible over Montana about a half hour before landing in Cape Canaveral, NASA flight director Brian Lunney told Reuters.

It is only the second time since the 2003 Columbia disaster that a NASA space shuttle will descend across the continental U.S. –– and it is likely the last time before NASA retires its shuttle fleet later this year, according to a Space.com report.

That report points out that the remaining three NASA missions will take place in the summer months, when high-altitude ice clouds prompt shuttles to fly back to Florida from the southeast, over the Caribbean. Ice clouds are not an issue for the Discovery's re-entry at this time of year.

Space.com provides a near minute-by-minute projection of Discovery's landing path, predicting stargazers in Glendrive, Mont., should be able to spot the shuttle reaching its maximum altitude over the northeast horizon at 6:28:51 a.m. MDT. Just over a minute later at 7:30:08 a.m. CDT, Space.com predicts Discovery will be passing almost directly over Pierre, S.D. In the four minutes that follow, Discovery is expected to flash over the heart of Missouri, the Arkansas-Tennessee border and just east of Memphis before approaching Cape Canaveral, where the shuttle's touchdown is slated for 8:51:22 a.m. EDT.

Observers in the West, where it will still be dark, should be on the lookout for a glowing streak.

John A. Dormer, a Texas observer, told Space.com that a re-entering shuttle appears "stunning against a rapidly-bluing sky...it looks like liquid gold."

Discovery may be more difficult to spot in the East, where the sky will be light by the time shuttle passes.

Dale Ireland of Seattle, Wash., an "assiduous skywatcher" according to Space.com, said: "It would be hard to spot in daylight, but not impossible."

Those who don't see Discovery streak across the sky may still be able to hear it, as shuttles re-entering the Earth's atmosphere produce a double sonic boom, the sound of which should reach the ground about 90 seconds after the shuttle travels overhead.
Filed under: Nation, Science
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Here is the path for the reentry.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget to dog you gunner's hatch closed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't recall an orbiter having that sort of entry flight path before. Neat!

I'll have to hustle to school tomorrow to try to watch the landing online.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't recall an orbiter having that sort of entry flight path before. Neat!

I'll have to hustle to school tomorrow to try to watch the landing online.

I got to see it once about 12 years or so ago, I was setting on the patio at dusk smoking and looked up and saw what I thought was the highest, fastest plane I had ever seen. It went from horizon to horizon in less than a minute  or two. I saw on the news later that it was the shuttle. It was cool as hell to see.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#5]
If you  haven't seen a shuttle re-entry, it is definitely a sight to behold.

I also wish it was coming closer to Tx.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#6]
What a fucking ride...
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, i wonder if i will be able to see it from ND?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Orbit 223.....Hmmmmmm
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Will I be able to see it in Denver if it takes the first re-entry?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm hoping for Orbit 223.It'll fly right over Laramie while I'm on my way to work. WOOT!
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#11]
If anyone has the chance and time to watch it, it would be nice to get a video on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Didnt they use to come over Ca and on through Texas?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Damn, i wonder if i will be able to see it from ND?

I wondered the same thing from central MN.  I just did a quick calc and guessing when it comes through Pierre, it will still be 200,000k plus feet in altitude (the higher the better), it would put it at around 6 to 8 degrees above the horizon for my viewpoint which is about 313 miles as the crow files from Pierre SD.   I think it would be possible for me, but the sunlight will probably be the issue, since it will already have been above the horizon for an hour when this happens.  Im still gonn take a look, maybe looking southwest for me will help.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#14]
What is the time of flight from  over the pacific northwest to KSC?  30 minutes?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#15]
tagaroo
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What is the time of flight from  over the pacific northwest to KSC?  30 minutes?

Just about. The article says Montana at 0628 MDT (0828 EDT) with landing at KSC at 0851 EDT. That's 23 minutes to traverse the US on the diagonal. Wow!

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Thats a very unusual reentry path.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad to hear they are gonna bring that crew back before they shut down the program.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:30:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Headline News just announced a delay for the landing, current land time I think they said was around 10:23am eastern time.  They are still planning on Kennedy Space Center.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:35:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I am really want to see shuttle landing in real life

It's really sucks that Russian space agency scrapped its own space shuttle project
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:54:17 AM EDT
[#21]
"Re-entry"?  What?  Has is entered previously?

Those of you who worked there - door gunners, etc - will know what I'm talking about.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:59:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It's really sucks that Russian space agency scrapped its own space shuttle project

Well we just scrapped ours also.  Four more shuttle landings and then we pay the Russians $50million plus for a ride to the space station we paid for.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:02:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well we just scrapped ours also.  Four more shuttle landings and then we pay the Russians $50million plus for a ride to the space station we paid for.

$100 millions per seat in Soyuz for austronaut? Isn't?
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:07:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Well CRAP!  The path shows it coming right over Waycross but we have a cloud cover.

Damnit!
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:11:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well CRAP!  The path shows it coming right over Waycross but we have a cloud cover.

Damnit!

You can still probably hear the sonic booms.  Atleast you have that......I have been cheated on seeing it fly over my area due to missing its first landing attempt.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:15:07 AM EDT
[#26]
It feels pretty pathetic that after a few more flights our nation will no longer have the ability to put astronauts in to space. My grandfather spent several years working at NASA, I'm glad he doesn't have to see it come to this.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:22:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well we just scrapped ours also. Four more shuttle landings and then we pay the Russians $50million plus for a ride to the space station we paid for.

The current contract is $53 million/seat.  My wife's boss, who is the Chief Engineer for the shuttle system, expects to price to double or triple once the last shuttle mission is flown.  At the end of that mission, my wife and about 6,000 others will be canned.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 4:40:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Currently 51, it is expected to double or triple after the shuttle stops flying.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:00:56 AM EDT
[#29]
landing scrubbed for today,  another try tomorrow (4/20)  shortly after 6am eastern
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 5:01:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Landing has been scrubbed till tomoorow
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
landing scrubbed for today,  another try tomorrow (4/20)  shortly after 6am eastern

Same path?
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:05:50 AM EDT
[#32]
I am in Waycross and swear I just heard the sonic boom. It was two distinct booms and NASA shows them coming in.

They just had a sonic boom on TV and that's exactly what it sounded like.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:21:51 AM EDT
[#33]
We heard the two sonic booms in Birmingham, AL. Clous cover prevented us from seeing the shuttle though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:27:04 AM EDT
[#34]
I watched it online - great weather today.  I'm glad they were able to land in Florida.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:55:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Two loud booms over central alabama.  Actually had blue skies but it's hard to spot a spec of sand in the sky moving at 7000 miles per hour without a contrail.  The shuttle had made it to Georgia before we heard the shockwave.  Cool stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top