Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 12:30:01 PM EDT
Anybody have a good space flight, fighter game?

Not interested in flying the shuttle, nor in flying any airplanes.

I want to have a good star fighter simulation, perhaps with merchanting and pirating involved.

Who has something?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#1]
This is relevant to my interests...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#2]
X3

may be a little buggy, but it's still pretty fun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#3]
is being a  space shuttle door gunner not cool enough?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No.

I am far cooler than space shuttle door gunner.  At least I am a ISS Force Recon Green SEAL Parajumper . . . working on my Delta cert.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

I am far cooler than space shuttle door gunner.  At least I am a ISS Force Recon Green SEAL Parajumper . . . working on my Delta cert.  

Dude, you haven't made Lunar Combat Action Group yet?

What I really want is a RTS space battle sim. I played a demo years ago, but havent found anything since.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Dude, you haven't made Lunar Combat Action Group yet?

What I really want is a RTS space battle sim. I played a demo years ago, but havent found anything since.

Homeworld has been a while.  Never even played Homeworld 2.  Outside of that I have not seen a space-based RTS.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out EVE online, not a sim but fun.

Currently playing StarTrek online and enjoying the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I know an FPS came out just recently that is centered in space...so you can move around in 3 dimensions, and no way is "up"

Shattered Horizons is the name! Just remembered it...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Star Wars: Empire at war (But you also have to fight ground battles which are underwhelming)
Sins of a Solar Empire (I haven't played it, but I hear it is good for having no plot)
Distant Worlds (It's more of a real time 4X game, the graphics are very plain, fun and very time consuming)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know an FPS came out just recently that is centered in space...so you can move around in 3 dimensions, and no way is "up"  

Shattered Horizons is the name! Just remembered it...

How good is it?  I am contemplating getting Bad Company and I don't have a lot of time for more than one FPS . . . don't really have time for more than one game at a time . . .
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#11]
See if you can dig up an old copy of Xwing vs Tie fighter or Xwing Alliance. That is if it will even play on today's computers.
Quoted:

Quoted:

Star Wars: Empire at war (But you also have to fight ground battles which are underwhelming)

Sins of a Solar Empire (I haven't played it, but I hear it is good for having no plot)

Distant Worlds (It's more of a real time 4X game, the graphics are very plain, fun and very time consuming)

I have Sins of a Sloar Empire with the Entrenchment add on pack. The game is way to complicate for a pure RTS. I have a hard enough time gathering resources, building troops and waging war in something like Star Craft or Age of Empire but now you throw in a dozen or so planets times a few stars and things turn into a cluster fuck pretty quick. .

I'm in the middle of a match right now where I just had my entire armada wipe out and I'm being attacked in 2 fronts at the same time. To make it even worse I just had an ally declare war on me so he's now helping the guy who's been trying to seige one of my border worlds. Did i mention I need to rebuild my fleet and I'm all out of metal and have practicaly no metal income what so ever? I surrendered after seeing 3 massive fleets with 3 different colors heading for my home world.

I'm better at games like Space Empires V where combat is real time but everything else is turn based.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been waiting for a good space combat sim since the days of Colony Wars, Independence War, and Freespace 1 & 2.

Last one of those is from 1999
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've been waiting for a good space combat sim since the days of Colony Wars, Independence War, and Freespace 1 & 2.

Last one of those is from 1999

I'd give almost anything to get the FULL version of TIE Fighter with expansion pack, and XWing working on my computer  :(
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm can't believe that Lucasarts still hasn't made a new X-Wing/Tie Fighter game.  (or Republic Commando)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Darkstar One

it's older so it's like $10 at newegg but is really fun, and not so old that it looks bad. i just finished it

similar to Privateer and Freelancer in that you can upgrade your ship and buy/sell cargo as well as take on missions at each base and you can fly around a lot on non-plot stuff

plot is pretty decent too

and can use a joystick which is a huge plus

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Anybody have a good space flight, fighter game?

Not interested in flying the shuttle, nor in flying any airplanes.

I want to have a good star fighter simulation, perhaps with merchanting and pirating involved.

Who has something?

X3

X3 Terran Conflict (adds marines/boarding parties, more guns)

The 'X' series is 'Super Privateer'....

Same concept - a 'sandbox' game where you have a storyline to follow but can do whatever you want as you go through it....

However, unlike Privateer you're not limited to little ships, or a list of only 14-or-so weapons...

You can fly anything from a little F-16 sized fighter (the game calls them M-5s) to a gigantic starship... Build your own space stations, etc...

Weapons range from Star-wars style lasers, to Gatling guns (yes, you have to carry ammo for them, unlike all the other weapons that are energy based), to beam weapons (pulsed-beam emitter... Think a laser-minigun).... And of course, all different varieties of missiles...

Also, unlike Privateer, there are aliens... Aliens loosely based on the Star Trek races (Think 'Ferrengi, Romulans, and Klingons' - but different names and different-enough everything else to make them recognizable-but-unique....)

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you've never played it yet, Master of Orion 2 is still the absolute king of 4-X space games...

Not RTS though, turn based....

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:49:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I might check X3 out. Gamestop has it for $10. For some odd reason Steam is trying to sell it for $19.99

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If you've never played it yet, Master of Orion 2 is still the absolute king of 4-X space games...

Not RTS though, turn based....

And MOO3 sucked so badly my hard drive got smaller and my monitor went from 18.1" viewable to 15".

Gonna give Darkstar One a try, I do believe.  But not until . . . at least Friday next week.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Freelancer.

Wish there was more then just the one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#21]

I picked up X3:Terran Conflict.

What's the fastest way to build up a space armada so I can declare war on the ATF and wipe them from the Galaxy?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What's the fastest way to build up a space armada so I can declare war on the ATF and wipe them from the Galaxy?

Cheats?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Freelancer.

Wish there was more then just the one.

Got it . . . a little bored with it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheats?

Before I get X3 I am going to wait for the X3 Box set to come out . . . sometime soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top