Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/17/2003 6:28:02 AM EDT
Nov 17, 12:33 AM EST

Southern Drawls Confuse La. Phone System

SHREVEPORT, La. (AP) -- Southern drawls have thwarted voice recognition equipment used by the Shreveport Police Department to route non-emergency calls.

A switchover to a lower-tech, touch-tone system - in which callers hear a voice recording they can respond to by pressing a different number for each division - is scheduled for Monday, said spokeswoman Kacee Hargrave.

The voice-recognition system asked people to name the person or department they wanted. More often than not, the system just didn't understand, and they wound up at the wrong place, said Capt. John Dunn, who oversees police communications.

"In Louisiana, we have a problem with Southern drawl and what I call lazy mouth. Because of that, the system often doesn't recognize what (callers) say," he said.

Interim Chief Mike Campbell knows all too well how frustrating the voice recognition system can be.

"I can count on one hand when I have been transferred to where I've wanted to go, and I know the system. I can imagine how frustrating it would be for a citizen," he said.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:36:55 AM EDT
Does it also misunderstand NY accents, Boston accents and Beverly Hills accents?
Southerners have no accent. It's everybody else with the accent
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:45:53 AM EDT
yankee technology

-HS
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:57:01 AM EDT
You all gotta talk like us up here in Wisconsin. Ya, We don't have an accent der hey.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:34:11 AM EDT
i'm from Ny and we aint got no accents so "foget abowt it". But heres a real noodle scratcher! when you watch tv do the notice that the people are speaking with an accent? for example when i watch tv and i speak with a NY accent i dont notice that they have a california accent.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:38:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stoney-Point:
You all gotta talk like us up here in Wisconsin. Ya, We don't have an accent der hey.

Not to mention ya'll ain't gotta clue about sweet tea. Ya'll are some milk drinkin' folks.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:54:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CS223:

Not to mention ya'll ain't gotta clue about sweet tea. Ya'll are some milk drinkin' folks.

I got no clue about sweet tea cause I don't give a f#@k about sweet tea.
Milk? Only until I was 12, then it was beer.
Cheese, Brats, beer and venison...the four basic food groups where I come from.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:08:54 AM EDT

Cheese, Brats, beer and venison...the four basic food groups where I come from.

Actually you forgot frozen pizza.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:23:06 AM EDT
I have infuriated many customer services representatives by politely pointing out that I cant understand what they are saying. Either becuase they were speaking spanglish, ESOL (English Second Language) or had a horrible accent.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:05:36 AM EDT
Fuck, glad I'm not the only one.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:15:11 AM EDT
Y'all funnin' us bout our accents?
Top Top