Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/25/2006 5:02:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 5:44:17 AM EDT by shastacles]
They just got a law through their legislature that outlaws abortion unless it is necessary to save the mothers life. It still has to make through one more person, but he has said he will sign it.

ETA: for those who may think that I am a "religious nut" and just want to take away womens rights, you are wrong. I do think it is murder, but I can also argue that it is unconstitutional.

We have a right to LIFE, liberty, and pursuit of happiness (actually amended to say "property"). The last two are worthless if you deny the first one.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:41:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 7:43:14 AM EDT by dumbyhotshot]
Can something be unconstitutional when the constitution says nothing about abortion?

I wonder if a proposed law, explicitly legalizing abortion, would pass in Congress today? I dont think it would. Since our new Supreme Court will likely overturn roe v wade this might be the only way to make it legal again.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:45:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dumbyhotshot:
Can something be unconstitutional when the constitution says nothing about abortion?

I wonder if a proposed law, explicitly legalizing abortion, would pass in Congress today? I dont think it would. Since our new Supreme Court will likely overturn roe v wade this might be the only way to make it legal again.

It is not explicitly called abortion in the constitution, but we are granted a right to LIFE, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Plus If the founding fathers could have forseen abortion as a legislative issue, they would have prohibited it more explicitly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:26:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shastacles:

It is not explicitly called abortion in the constitution, but we are granted a right to LIFE, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Plus If the founding fathers could have forseen abortion as a legislative issue, they would have prohibited it more explicitly.

I agree. My point was that abortion isn't in the constitution and was only made legal by an interpretation of an interpretation about the right to privacy. The constitution is silent about abortion. The only constitutional way to make it legal would be by legislatures passing a bill into law explicitly making it legal. Of course, they would need the consent of the people lest they be voted out. That is why I dont think Congress could pass a bill today. Maybe in the future, but I hope not. Of course, none of that will matter if the Supreme Court upholds Roe vs. Wade as per the challenge that will occur anytime now due to the shifting ideology in the Supreme Court.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:56:59 PM EDT

Please tell me where the phrase "life, libery, and property/persuit of happiness" is in the constitution.

Thanks...
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:50:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tim84K10:

Please tell me where the phrase "life, libery, and property/persuit of happiness" is in the constitution.

Thanks...

My aplologies, carelessness!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:06:01 PM EDT

Thanks...

Try the Declaration of Independance. You'll also find mention there of a "Creator" and "God" but not in our constitution.

You will find this though....

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Find the definition of the bold text and you've got the basis for a non-religious anti-abortion debate.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:58:59 PM EDT

Thanks...

Try the Declaration of Independance. You'll also find mention there of a "Creator" and "God" but not in our constitution.

You will find this though....

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Find the definition of the bold text and you've got the basis for a non-religious anti-abortion debate.

Thanks, that is why I like this forum. Just hard to get some anti-gun folks here to debate.
Top Top