Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/20/2013 1:49:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2013 1:50:15 PM EDT by 1999cutiger]
I am a South Carolina resident. I keep a pistol in the center console of my truck. Currently, it is rolling around in there with all my other crap and I want to organize and place the pistol in a mounted holster inside the center console in my truck.

Recently, I was told by a sheriff's deputy that it was not legal to do so. My question is this...if it's legal for me to have a pistol in my center console, why would it not be legal to place it in a mounted holster inside the center console?

I did not want to argue with this fella, but his comment does not make sense to me.

So, for all of you South Carolina LE and folks in the know, what am I legally allowed to do?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:51:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2013 1:52:09 PM EDT by outrage9]
The common cop on the street doesn't know the gun law. Ask 5 and you'll get 5 different answers. Its why I got my GA permit 20 years ago.

ETA, and I hate SC laws, how stupid is it as to where the hell you CAN put your gun???
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:54:07 PM EDT
You sure he knew you meant inside the console?

As you already know, keeping a pistol in the glove box or console doesn't require a CWP or anything. I can't see how mounting a holster inside your console would be any different. Now, mounting a holster on your steering column and slapping your pistol in it is a no-no, as far as I know. Maybe he thought you meant something like that?

<--Former SC resident.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:57:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NY_Shooter:

As you already know, keeping a pistol in the glove box or console doesn't require a CWP or anything. I can't see how mounting a holster inside your console would be any different. Now, mounting a holster on your steering column and slapping your pistol in it is a no-no, as far as I know. Maybe he thought you meant something like that?

<--Former SC resident.

This is exactly my question...what differnece does it make if the pistol is rolling around the inside of the center console or is neatly tucked inside a mounted holster...INSIDE the console.

It does not make any sense to me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:57:59 PM EDT
I think these are some pretty cool setups:

((Click here for some other pics)

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:58:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1999cutiger:
Originally Posted By NY_Shooter:

<--Former SC resident.

This is exactly my question...what differnece does it make if the pistol is rolling around the inside of the center console or is neatly tucked inside a mounted holster...INSIDE the console.

It does not make any sense to me.

I honestly don't think it does make a difference. I think, as outrage posted, that deputy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:00:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:02:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2013 2:06:36 PM EDT by outrage9]
It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx

I just wish they'd honor the permit of the state next to them. Keeps me out of SC unless I absolutely have to go there
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:02:52 PM EDT
Glove box or console is fine.

However if you transport a pistol in the center console in condition one I would suggest mounting a holster or something to cover the trigger. You wouldn't want a ND to happen because your sh8t got in the trigger guard and a round went off in your leg or someone else's.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:07:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1999cutiger:

EXACTLY what I'm talking about doing....thanks for the pics!

No problem. I think it's a really good idea. When I was living there and carrying, I just left it on my hip while I drove. So unless I practiced drawing from a seated position (which I didn't, I know, shame on me), I would be at a disadvantage if I needed it. But when I drive, my arm is always on the center console. Flipping it open and grabbing it would be infinitely quicker, for me, I'd think.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:07:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By outrage9:
It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx

I just wish they'd honor the permit of the state next to them. Keeps me out of SC unless I absolutely have to go there

Welp, there ya go. Looks like you're good to go, OP.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:08:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DevilDog0317:
Glove box or console is fine.

However if you transport a pistol in the center console in condition one I would suggest mounting a holster or something to cover the trigger. You wouldn't want a ND to happen because your sh8t got in the trigger guard and a round went off in your leg or someone else's.

I don't ever have one in the chamber in my truck...it's just one of those things I'd rather not do. I can chamber very quickly if needed.

The holster I want does cover the trigger.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:58:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2013 2:58:53 PM EDT by 1999cutiger]
Thanks guys. I guess I'm good to proceed with my console mounted holster.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:03:22 PM EDT
Yes you can do that. Cop is misinformed at best.
Top Top