Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2002 12:23:40 PM EDT
I had a FFL tell me today that it not legal to purchase or sell 30 round magazine after the high cap magazine ban but if you owned them before the ban you can keep them. He also said that the sales of high cap magazines have to be recorded so that they can be tracked. WTF

He also told me that handguns can't be transported across statelines.  I thought if the handgun is legal where you live and the state you are going to you could transport it.  I know there are some exceptions in some states, for example Maryland.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I had a FFL tell me today that it not legal to purchase or sell 30 round magazine after the high cap magazine ban but if you owned them before the ban you can keep them. He also said that the sales of high cap magazines have to be recorded so that they can be tracked. WTF

He also told me that handguns can't be transported across statelines.  I thought if the handgun is legal where you live and the state you are going to you could transport it.  I know there are some exceptions in some states, for example Maryland.  
View Quote

The only people I have met who collectively know LESS about guns and gunlaws besides liberals are cops and FFLs. At least liberals have a excuse.

Of the gems I've heard...

There is a 3 day wait on rifles or shotguns.

You cannot buy a firearm and ammunition for THAT firearms at the same location at the same time.

You cannot put a preban magazine in a postban rifle(assuming 922r compliance is already met.)

Black talons will pierce a kevlar vest and that is why they are illegal.

Many more that escape me at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Your FFL is ready to graduate to the BATF.

As far as the handguns go, it's too complicated to understand all of the state laws (I think that's the goal).
If I'm not sure, I just call the state police & ask - sometimes they even answer. The most common generic answer I get is "locked, unloaded & in the trunk".
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have heard the you can't use pre-ban magazine in a post ban rifle too.

I asked the guy mentioned in my post to do an out-of-state transfer for a lower I am thinking of purchasing.  They said I need to come back  when the owner is on-site to talk with him about it. I know it's his FFL but I don't see what the big deal is, the lower is coming from another FFL. Seems like easy money. I may just find somewhere else to do the transfer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Jim it is a simple transaction. But it IS also the owners license. He may be one of these guys who feels responsible for every transaction.

There are several firearms I won't handle/order/sell/transfer because they suck.

But I know a FFL who won't handle/order/sell/transfer  military rifles because he believes they are bad.

Bottom line, your money shop where you prefer to spend it. But at least find out where the guys head is at.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a FFL tell me today that it not legal to purchase or sell 30 round magazine after the high cap magazine ban but if you owned them before the ban you can keep them. He also said that the sales of high cap magazines have to be recorded so that they can be tracked.
View Quote
Please tell me that this idiot is in the Greenville/Spartanburg area, so I'll know where not to go.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Was this Palmetto Firearms on Broadriver Rd in Columbia?  They're just across the street from the state police, so that's probably where some of their BS comes from.  Apparently, it flows downhill from the state police and collects in a pool in that shop.  The manager seems to think that only LEO's are allowed to buy used Glocks.  You might not be able to sell the high-cap post ban magazine with it, but the entire pistol?  The last time I was there, they "confiscated" (err, stole) a 20 round Marlin rifle magazine from a guy, because he had it in a rifle he was trying to sell used.  They claimed only LEO's could have a pre-ban magazine in a post-ban gun.  They also have NRA brochures that state the same thing.  Thank you NRA for knowingly publishing such garbage.  I've been by that shop several times, since I have to go by SLED several times a year for work and several times in an attempt to be granted a concealed carry permit.  The last time I was there, I looked at a used Norinco 1911.  After the guy told me all 1911's before 1994 normally held 14 rounds and that one would with a new magazine follower, I put the pistol down and left.  I'd like to see a magazine follower that will double the capacity of a single-stack 1911.z
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope, Charleston.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only people I have met who collectively know LESS about guns and gunlaws besides liberals are cops and FFLs. At least liberals have a excuse.

Black talons will pierce a kevlar vest and that is why [red]they are illegal.[/red]

View Quote

PSSSSST--so you don't make your own point, BT's are not illegal, except as HP's in a few jurisdictions.    You can buy them on several internet auction sites.  
View Quote

PSSSSST, if you go back and re read my post you would see I was quoting other FFLs. The phrase "Of the gems I've heard..." should have tipped you off.

All comments following that key phrase were overheard by me from other FFLs. ALL of them are in error.

Wassamater Bee? Sleepy?
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 5:35:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 5:50:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had a FFL tell me today that it not legal to purchase or sell 30 round magazine after the high cap magazine ban but if you owned them before the ban you can keep them. He also said that the sales of high cap magazines have to be recorded so that they can be tracked.
View Quote
Please tell me that this idiot is in the Greenville/Spartanburg area, so I'll know where not to go.
View Quote

My problem with the G'ville / Spartanburg area is not so mucg the ignorant FFL's, but the LACK of FFL's.

And the overabundance of deer rifles and shotguns, to the exclusion of SUR's.

Zardoz -

Check out Traders Gun Shop on Hwy. 29 in Greer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top