Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 12:18:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Reminds me of what the definition of "Is" is!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]
On man,  this is going to be  MORE fun.  I might even turn on the TV for the first time in several years.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#3]
So, how the hell do you say that in a way that makes any sense?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#4]
CBS --->   <--- Everyone else
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Reminds me of what the definition of "Is" is!

Hahah I called it: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=275128&page=3
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#6]
WHAT THE FUCK???

Okay...let me get this straight...the documents are fake, but the content of the fake documents is real...ohhh kaaay...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#7]
First rule of holes:

When you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!

Keep digging, Dan!  Keep digging!

(I can see it now:  "It's true because we need it to be!")
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder what the DUers are saying?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#10]
5pm is supposed to be the announcement
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I made it up but its true. neener neener.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Is that 5 PM Eastern time?

Will this be on CBS itself, or on the cable news channels?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
5pm is supposed to be the announcement

Oh, I see. It's 5pm now. First it was noon, then 3:30, and now 5pm? Seems like they're really trying to cover thier asses now.

What I find funny is that over at DU most of the people there are hoping that Dan Rather will "give Bush hell" over this.

WTF?!?! You'd have to be blind as a bat stuffed up Micheal Moore's fat ass to not see that these documents are forgeries, that they knew they were likely forgeries when they first ran the story, and that it gives CBS and Dan Blather a quite low credibility rating.

Hello? Are there any brain cells over there at DU? (This is a rhetorical question)

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#15]
btt - This is going to be funny.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I wonder what the DUers are saying?

CBS probably took their strategy right from DU.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#19]
[sKerry] Well they were real before they were fake![/sKerry]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Apparently Killian's secretary, who admits she doesn't support Bush and thought he was polite but a rich little shit, says she typed a similar document that laid all those charges out... but this particular one is a fake... where the originals are she doesn't know...  Killian never typed she said, that's what she was for.  Uh huh... I typed the damning document but I don't know where it is... and this one that just happens to say what the original said, is a fake.  Almost too much to be expected to believe.

She is 86 years old she MIGHT know she did not type these documents but as her remembering she typed ones like these, I doubt it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not one for conspiracy theories...but is Rather doing this on orders from Hitlery??
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#25]
It's just like the "I've spoken with foreign leaders" flap.
He lied. He NEVER spoke with foreign leaders.
EVEN IF every foreign leader then admits that they support Kerry...

...he's still a liar.
AND that's the story.

In THIS case, the story is WHERE THE FUCK DID THEY GET THE FORGED DOCUMENTS???
NOT what Bush did 35 years ago.

Because.....  IF it came from Kerry or the DNC, THAT'S IT.  Bush wins.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, cognitive dissonance.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Apparently Killian's secretary, who admits she doesn't support Bush and thought he was polite but a rich little shit, says she typed a similar document that laid all those charges out... but this particular one is a fake... where the originals are she doesn't know...  Killian never typed she said, that's what she was for.  Uh huh... I typed the damning document but I don't know where it is... and this one that just happens to say what the original said, is a fake.  Almost too much to be expected to believe.

Secretary to military officer says she never typed the memos
By ROBERT CROWE and JULIE MASON
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

A former secretary at Ellington Air Force Base is challenging the legitimacy of documents used to discredit President Bush's service in the Texas Air National Guard, saying the records are probably fake because she never typed them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Marian Carr Knox, 86, former secretary to Lt. Col. Jerry Killian, worked at the Houston air base from 1956 to 1979. She is now retired.

"They're forgeries as far as I'm concerned because I didn't type them," Knox said Tuesday at her southwest Houston home.

She said she typed all of Killian's memoranda and office letters during the time Bush served under him in the early 1970s.

Knox said the subject matter in the documents does, however, reflect sentiments Killian expressed to her at the time.

"I did not type those, no, but the information in them is correct," she said.

A longtime Democratic primary voter, Knox said she is not a Bush political supporter.

Hers are the latest claims against the documents, which for several days have been at the center of a tantalizing political mystery within the presidential campaign.

CBS News used documents purportedly written and signed by Killian, Bush's former superior at Ellington, as the basis for a critical report on Bush's guard service in the early 1970s.

Specifically, the documents allege that Bush failed to take a required physical examination and lost his flying privileges. The papers indicate Killian was pressured to "sugarcoat" Bush's record.

Though Bush never took his physical and was honorably discharged, Knox said it was rare for pilots like him to not take physicals under similar circumstances.

"Darn right it was a big issue," she said. "That was one of the things the pilots had to do."

Questions about the president's Guard service surfaced during his first campaign for president and again this year, particularly in contrast to Democrat John Kerry's service in the Navy during the Vietnam War.

With regard to the specific allegations surrounding Bush's failure to take the required physical, White House officials have said the requirement was waived when Bush was transferred to non-flying status in Alabama.

Knox said she decided to report her recollection of the time period to the media after hearing White House press officials say the information in the memos was false.

She said the military jargon in the documents would be used in the Navy or Army and not the Air Force. Also, she said the font used for the documents did not match fonts used on either the manual Olympia or IBM Selectric typewriters she used while working there.

Though some have challenged the use of superscript typeface in the documents, Knox said the IBM Selectric typewriter she used when Bush was in the 111th Fighter Interceptor Squadron did have the capability to type in superscript.

Last week, Knox said she had no firsthand knowledge of Bush's time with the Texas Air National Guard, although she did recall a culture of special treatment for the sons of prominent people, such as Bush and others.

Bush's father, former President Bush, was a member of Congress when his son was a Guard pilot.

Generally, Knox said Killian was anxious about creating a paper trail at the Guard base, and kept copies of his correspondence, which he would write out longhand and give her to type.

Killian died in 1984.

In recent days, questions have been raised by members of Killian's family and others, who challenged the authenticity of documents, in part by saying Killian did not keep copies of his letters.

Knox disputed that claim, saying Killian kept copies to protect himself, although she said she did not retain any copies herself.

CBS has declined to identify the source of the documents. The network, which originally aired the claims on the venerable 60 Minutes news magazine, has stood by its reporting.

Knox said last week she had not seen the disputed documents obtained by CBS, butwas reacting to news reports challenging their authenticity, primarily by countering claims that Killian did not keep copies.

[email protected]

[email protected]

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#28]
From the Drudge Report:

Statement by the President of CBS News, Andrew Heyward:

"We established to our satisfaction that the memos were accurate or we would not have put them on television. There was a great deal of coroborating [sic] evidence from people in a position to know. Having said that, given all the questions about them, we believe we should redouble our efforts to answer those questions, so that's what we are doing."

Notice how he says they were "accurate", not "authentic"........
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Finally the truth be told
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top