Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/18/2006 1:09:06 AM EST
Okay, not sound-proofing but how about sound insulating?

I have hollow wood doors in my home and wish to drill some holes at the top and spray something down inside to cut down on the noise transmitted through them to make things quieter. Anyone have any ideas on what's good to use?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:17:49 AM EST

It will expend, so keep that in mind when spraying it. Also, as a precaution, you might want to put some tape around the edges of the door, so none leaks out.

This stuff is well named. GREAT insulator, and should help out with your sound proofing problem.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:19:42 AM EST
some of that stuff may actually split your door in half if it is too dense of foam.

Also, doors arnt constructed in a way that if you poored foam in the top that it will all go down to the bottom. They are usually constructed with internal bracing in the form of an X.

Stop having sex so loud may be your only option besides replacing the door.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:29:50 AM EST
That stuff will explode your door. If you decide to use it though please take before and after pics. Replace them with solid core doors available at HD or Lowes. The slabs are about $30 each for a 2-6x6-8 Luan. Like Gaspian Said stick a sock in her mouth
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:45:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By mag162:
That stuff will explode your door.

Only if you use too much.

Really, though, not much of this would be needed. Given a warm environment, an initial spray the size of a cupcake is generally the size of 3/4 of a watermellon when totally dried.

If your door explodes, you put too much in there. Small amounts. If you need to, you can always add more later.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:59:41 AM EST
Most of the hollow interior doors I have seen have the 'hollow' portion look like the middle portion of a piece of corrugated cardboard. In other words, you'd need to drill about 10,000 holes into the door to get a good fill.

Probably better off replacing them. Just get something that looks similar and your landlady won't notice.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:39:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By Mauser101:
Most of the hollow interior doors I have seen have the 'hollow' portion look like the middle portion of a piece of corrugated cardboard. In other words, you'd need to drill about 10,000 holes into the door to get a good fill.

Probably better off replacing them. Just get something that looks similar and your landlady won't notice.

+1. The inside of the door will look like a honeycomb. You won't be able to fill all the individual hollow cells.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:46:27 AM EST
Drill holes in the top and fill with water.
Top Top