Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2021 9:19:05 PM EDT
I would greatly appreciate it if someone can help me with the right sound bar for an upgrade to my living room. After 9 years I am retiring an old 58 inch Panasonic Viera LED and its matching sound bar that never worked right. The TV is being replaced with an LG 65 OLED CX. This TV has eARC capability so I am trying to take advantage of this with a sound bar that can utilize the latest Dolby and DTS sound (Atmos/DTS:X). The guy helping me with the install told me to buy a Definitive Technology 5.1 Studio Advanced sound bar, which I did but now having regrets. For one thing, there is absolutely nothing anywhere about this sound bar in terms of reviews, you tube, etc. which I find extremely bizarre. The Deftech supports Dolby Digital and DTS but not Atmos/X. Getting the Deftech for $700.

I was looking at the SONOS Arc. Drawbacks though are that it is Atmos enabled but not DTS:X. It does not have any additional HDMI's other than the arc, and it is is pretty expensive if you get the sub and the rear channels.

The JBL 9.1 looked promising but I have read a lot of reviews about the system not syncing and the rear speakers not functioning.

So bottom line is I want to have the best sounding bar in my living room that is somewhat future-proof (at least for a good 5-7 years). I don't have a 4K Blu ray player but do have a ton of DVD's. So I could see myself wanting to send lossless audio to the bar via an additional HDMI. Most of the time my TV watching is restricted to youtubetv via Firestick, or streaming Netflix/Prime/Disney+.

Anyone have any experience with these or offer any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a sound bar in the bedroom, but nothing beats the full surround that I have in the living room.

Keep looking.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I did a fair bit of research on this myself. Just ordered a Sonos Arc.

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did a fair bit of research on this myself. Just ordered a Sonos Arc.

View Quote

Yep. I have arrived at the same conclusion after too much time on YouTube

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Edited :
It appears you can not just buy the ARC as it won't work with any other speaker/configuration.
Are you buying just the ARC or buying their entire setup?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Edited :
It appears you can not just buy the ARC as it won't work with any other speaker/configuration.
Are you buying just the ARC or buying their entire setup?
View Quote

The ARC will work as a standalone "soundbar" just fine. You can add SONOS surrounds and sub if you desire. You CAN'T, however add the ARC to an existing "surround system" (with a receiver, mains, surround channels, etc.) as a center channel, if that's what you're referring to... Not to my knowledge, anyway...

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The ARC will work as a standalone "soundbar" just fine. You can add SONOS surrounds and sub if you desire. You CAN'T, however add the ARC to an existing "surround system" (with a receiver, mains, surround channels, etc.) as a center channel, if that's what you're referring to... Not to my knowledge, anyway...

View Quote

I was thinking about using the ARC to replace existing front and center speakers.
Using it with current sub and rears.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was thinking about using the ARC to replace existing front and center speakers.
Using it with current sub and rears.
View Quote

Yeah that’s not gonna work. The ark has to work with other Sonos products. I bought the sub and two wireless one SL speakers for the rear. I wasn’t replacing an existing set up with a receiver.  I had an old Panasonic sound bar that never worked and the TV volume from the TV speakers was atrocious
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top