Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2003 7:44:37 PM EDT
[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2003/06/03/sosa_ejected_ap/[/url]

bwa ha ha ha ha

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I just saw that on the boob tube. Dumbass.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Well..there goes his reputation

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#3]
More proof that professional baseball is played by overpaid whiney cheaters.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]
If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying. It does put a big black question mark on any of his prior accomplishments.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#6]
There's nothing more satisfying than tearing down the accomplishments of a person of Color like we did with those trumped up charges against OJ.  Congratulations to Sports Illustrated for running this story.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#8]
wow
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#9]

They oughta X-Ray every bat from now on before games.

Barry?

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Cork is a placebo in wood bats. I'm waiting for the day some ballplayer wraps an aluminum bat with wood tone wallpaper. It will be interesting to understand what happens to Sosa's bat contract. Sometimes these things generate more sales, but sometimes it doesn't.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
 If you cheat at America's Pastime, then you don't deserve to be paid to play it.
View Quote

You mean to tell me I can get paid to masturbate?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know much about baseball.  Please educate me.

What exactly was [i]wrong[/i] with what he did?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a violation of the rules, just like pitching spitballs...

To make everyone 'equal', MLB standardized the composition of bats: 100% natural wood...

Modifying the bat, theoretically, can give the player an edge...
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Smaller bats swing faster, but don't have the power of a heavier bat when you connect.  A corked bat is an oz. or two lighter on the end, so it swings fast like a smaller bat but still has the punch of the big wood.  Some claim that the it is just a placebo, and an oz is to small to make a difference.  IMHO too many players do it for me to think it doesn't have some real effect.

This was no accident, if the corked bat was just for practice it would have been clearly marked.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:21:18 PM EDT
[#15]

More proof that [red]professional sports[/red] is played by overpaid whiney cheaters.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#16]
IMO using corked bats and cheating is much worse than what Pete Rose did.

I think sammy soso was getting worried about becoming obscure and wanted to go for the home run batting title seeing how bonds isn't slugging as good this year.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Heavier bats don't give you more power.  A good hitter will swing the heaviest bat he can swing through without significant post-contact velocity loss.  This will vary depending on bat speed, strength, hip rotation, etc., etc., etc.  

Babe Ruth used a 50oz bat.  If he'd wised up and had Einstein help him out, he would have hit more homers with a 30 oz. bat.  

Cork may or may not help a player.  If the player needs to swing a lighter bat, he should swap bats.  It's more a placebo than anything.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:00:40 AM EDT
[#18]
It is a violation and disgusting.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:33:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There's nothing more satisfying than tearing down the accomplishments of a person of Color like we did with those trumped up charges against OJ.  Congratulations to Sports Illustrated for running this story.
View Quote

I assume you're being facetious, right?  Put a little wink smilie next to that or something.

Reports are that the bat was clearly marked with a "C" (presumably for 'corked'), but he's saying he just grabbed the wrong bat when he headed to the plate.  Apparently, he uses the corked bat to give the fans a thrill in batting practice.  It was the lead story on all the Chicago news channels last night and it's the only thing they're talking about on the radio today.  

Finally, it's a good day to be a Sox fan.  And I don't get to say that often.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:40:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I really don't think a cork helps a guy like Sammy Sosa hit homers.  He's got enough power to hit homers with a broom stick... but cheating is cheating and even if it was an accident, he'll get busted.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:03:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Phil...I hope you are kidding.  Please tell me that was a joke.  I personally can't stop laughing.  Not so much at Sossa's misfortune, I just hate all things Chicago.  I am serious.  I would love to see a big tsunami swell up on lake michigan and swall that cesspool of a city.  That place is the armpit of the midwest.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Phil...I hope you are kidding.  Please tell me that was a joke.  I personally can't stop laughing.  Not so much at Sossa's misfortune, I just hate all things Chicago.  I am serious.  I would love to see a big tsunami swell up on lake michigan and swall that cesspool of a city.  That place is the armpit of the midwest.
View Quote

You're from Indiana, home of Gary, and you're calling Chicago a cesspool?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:28:23 AM EDT
[#23]
As a Hoosier, Gary is NOT in Indiana.  As far as I'm concerned, we should give gary to Chicago, and we take same land in the souther part of the state.    
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#24]
It's not like he needs a corked bat, the steroids should be enough to get the homers he wants.

ARH

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:00:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I assume you're being facetious, right?  Put a little wink smilie next to that or something.

Reports are that the bat was clearly marked with a "C" (presumably for 'corked'), but he's saying he just grabbed the wrong bat when he headed to the plate.  Apparently, he uses the corked bat to give the fans a thrill in batting practice.  It was the lead story on all the Chicago news channels last night and it's the only thing they're talking about on the radio today.  

Finally, it's a good day to be a Sox fan.  And I don't get to say that often.
View Quote

Marked with a "C".......and they're in [b]C[/b]hicago and the name of the team is the [b]C[/b]ubs.  Why not BP or "X" for exhibition.  True or not excuses are pretty funny stuff.  If he thought it was worth it to use a corked bat to give the fans a show he must [b]know[/b] how effective they are.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, I don't think he'd need to mark his bats with a "C" to remind him he plays for the Cubs.  Or that the team is from Chicago.  I'm not saying he's telling the truth, I'm just reporting what his excuse was.  Hell, I hate the Cubs.  I hope it turns out he's been using a corked bat his entire career (except when he was with the Sox).
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#27]
I guess he can't hit big dingers when the pitching coach is giving him nice fat 60-70 mph fastballs, so he has to use a corked bat.  Yeah, right...
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't believe for a minute that he picked the wrong bat. He's a bad liar. He got caught cheating and he should be punished and fined as much as the rules allow.
View Quote

And all God's people said.. "Amen!"
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Well MLB reported that none of his other bats were corked so there you have it.  His excuse appears legitimate.

But still he used a corked bat and has to accept the punishment.

[url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/921817.asp?0dm=C14VS&cp1=1[/url]

One other thing, is this the first bat Sammy has ever busted?  

Sosa said he accidentally pulled out a bat he uses to put on home run displays for fans in batting practice.[red] He has had dozens of bats break in the past few years with nothing suspicious found,[/red] and he insisted, “I never use anything illegal.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well MLB reported that none of his other bats were corked so there you have it.  His excuse appears legitimate.

Sosa said he accidentally pulled out a bat he uses to put on home run displays for fans in batting practice.[red] He has had dozens of bats break in the past few years with nothing suspicious found,[/red] and he insisted, “I never use anything illegal.”
View Quote
View Quote

Or a great way to cheat.  Only have one corked bat so if you are found out, you can use that excuse.  

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
View Quote

Or a great way to cheat.  Only have one corked bat so if you are found out, you can use that excuse.  

View Quote

Ya you're right.  Corked ball bats are prone to breakage.

Pretty good, his corked bat worked all those times and when it broke all those dozens of times it didn't even look like cork.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I believe him. Harold Reynolds made a good point last night on Baseball Tonight.

He said that if you knew your bat was corked, you'd gather the evidence yourself instead of sprinting down the first-base line as hard as you can, then going back to the dugout like normal.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
...His excuse appears legitimate.

View Quote

This 'accident' excuse reminds me of the AD/ND distinction.

The coolest bat I ever saw was a "fungo" our coach used to use while we shagged (no, not like that) flies.  Thin handle tapering out at the end, and I think it had a lead core.  Made it look easy...
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...His excuse appears legitimate.

View Quote

This 'accident' excuse reminds me of the AD/ND distinction.

The coolest bat I ever saw was a "fungo" our coach used to use while we shagged (no, not like that) flies.  Thin handle tapering out at the end, and I think it had a lead core.  Made it look easy...
View Quote

Well, the only AD/ND I would consider truly accidental is if the firearm was defective.  For instance, the gun slamfires when you close the slide.  

Didn't Glock have a recall because of this?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top