Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2010 4:09:49 PM EDT
but i about lost my faith tonight...

arrested two JV's on burglary and some other minor charges...took them to the jail, my city is located in two counties...so i went to the county jail we usually dont take anyone to

first......."wait, your city is located in both counties? your city is in the other county so why didnt you take them there?".... maybe bc the crime occurred in THIS county, and yes my city is in both for the last 120 years

second......"warrants are needed right now for us to take them"...NO, a warrant is not needed for a JV non-violent crime

third......"why is one jv subject one and the other subject two, on both copies of the report?"....seriously?

fourth and final "you did not contact the DA, im not sure we can take them"....its after hours, and the on call number doesnt work...they can be contacted before bond court...

after a 12 hour shift that turned into 16 due to paperwork and the lazy shits...i almost lost it
with the city being split between counties, i DREAD going to the secondary county...its night and day...nothing but 400 pound obama supporters who dont want to process anyone

sorry needed to blow off some steam and its raining outside...no exercise
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#1]
West Columbia?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
In Texas juvenile COs are required to have college degrees. I've found them to be arrogant know-it-alls who make pretty serious errors as you describe with frequency especially with on-view arrests.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In Texas juvenile COs are required to have college degrees. I've found them to be arrogant know-it-alls who make pretty serious errors as you describe with frequency especially with on-view arrests.

Incorrect.  To be a certified Juvenile Supervision Officer "fancy title that doesn't taint the juv system...." there is no college degree requirement.  Perhaps you are thinking of Probation officers?  In fact, there is very little training involved with being a juvenile D.O in TX compared to an adult C.O. and there is an entirely different set of rules and regs that have to be followed when taking a juv into a correctional facility.  EX: they wont take intoxicated juvs without a hospital clearance per the state regs.  Its pretty frustrating, but not always their fault.  

The juvenile system as a whole must be entirely different in TX than it is where the OP is.  We cant take juvs. anywhere except the specified places in the family code, and taking them to the jail instead of a juvenile correctional facility is a big time no-no.  Those facilities are mandated to be entirely separated by sight and sound from each other.  Also, an on-call Juvenile Probation officer has to approve the housing of the juv before they will hold them, other wise its catch and release.....very frustrating when they can get home before I can finish the paperwork.

ETA:Ref this section of the Texas Administrative Code for employment requirements.

TITLE 37
PART 11
CHAPTER 344
SUBCHAPTER B
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#5]
In Jackson County, Missouri the little darlings have to damn near kill someone to be taken into custody. Most of the DJO's probably have kids in the system themselves. If the DJO reads McMillian, it's all like, "Now baby, you unnerstands dat you don't have ta tell dem nuffin' awrite!" No shit...
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish we could take our Juvies to the jail......here is our process....maybe it will make u feel better:

-After arrest, we take them to our east precinct (Which is fine, unless u work WAY west of it or arrest 30 miles west of it)
-Once at our precinct, we take finger prints with a fancy smancy finger print machine, which unless u work in the jail and do finger prints ALL the time, sucks balls!!  Every print u take will get rejected by the machine, until you have taken 10 prints, then it will let you force enter one of them (And yes that is 10 prints for EACH print....meaning I can take 100 prints just for the 10 fingers, plus 20 full palms, 20 additional thumbs and 20 4 finger combos, so possibly 160 total prints)
-Then we photograph the juv, which is the easy part.
-Next we call the juvie dept to see if they wanna take em into custody (50% chance juvie says "release to parents"), if they do take em, we get to wait till Juvie shows up with their transport van (Usually 1 hour)
-If Juvie doesnt take them, we call parents to come get them.....which can take any amount of time, depending on how motivated they are.
-If you are done dealing with a juv in under 2 hours, you are the freaking man!!  And that doesnt include writing your report!
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:29:52 AM EDT
[#7]
2 things now that ive got a little sleep

just like to say that county i usually take people to, there CO's are pretty decent guys...they have one or two monkey footballs, but overall there good...
back home in florida...i loved the CO's who worked my shift...but these guys are numb nuts that i dealt with lastnight

second, one of them got butt hurt and called my Lt. lastnight afterward....he called me around 10pm and just asked a few questions, by the time
he got done with the questions, he was backing me and said he'd take care of a few things...

eta...to arrest a juvenile in that county, they must have a major felony WITH priors, you must contact the on call DA within a few hours, within 24 hours
you must have several types of paperwork in the DA's hands...personally delivered, not faxed...you have a hearing in 48 hours...there are several other
things youve got to do...think DUI time frame and paperwork x2
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:43:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Incorrect. To be a certified Juvenile Supervision Officer "fancy title that doesn't taint the juv system...." there is no college degree requirement. Perhaps you are thinking of Probation officers? In fact, there is very little training involved with being a juvenile D.O in TX compared to an adult C.O. and there is an entirely different set of rules and regs that have to be followed when taking a juv into a correctional facility. EX: they wont take intoxicated juvs without a hospital clearance per the state regs. Its pretty frustrating, but not always their fault.

The juvenile system as a whole must be entirely different in TX than it is where the OP is. We cant take juvs. anywhere except the specified places in the family code, and taking them to the jail instead of a juvenile correctional facility is a big time no-no. Those facilities are mandated to be entirely separated by sight and sound from each other. Also, an on-call Juvenile Probation officer has to approve the housing of the juv before they will hold them, other wise its catch and release.....very frustrating when they can get home before I can finish the paperwork.

ETA:Ref this section of the Texas Administrative Code for employment requirements.

TITLE 37

PART 11

CHAPTER 344

SUBCHAPTER B

Whoa.  I stand corrected.  I had always been told a Bachelor's degree was required.  My county juvenile jail has that requirement.  My mistake.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In Jackson County, Missouri the little darlings have to damn near kill someone to be taken into custody.]

Very true in my area as well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top