Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/23/2005 2:07:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2005 5:07:44 PM EDT by 19suburban96]
I have a Sony Vaio model VGC-RA820G with Intel P4 3.20 GH. Running windows XP. I started having problems yesterday at booting up. My first problem was a screen which told me I had a third hard disk failure at bootup and told me to press F2 to resume which brought up the BIOS screen. Going through all the settings I didn't see any problems so I exited and tried to re-boot. Went to same screen again so I decided to try the recovery CDs to fix who knows what. I start the recovery process with the strat up CD computer recognizes it and loads it fine, I get a prompt for the second recovery CD and after loading it I get an error message about partition size not available and I need to abort the recovery. I get upset, and just as I'm saying WTF it reboots on it's own, windows loads and I'm back to normal. I shut it down after a while and ever since then every time I want to use the computer I have to go through the same nonsense to boot up.

Is my Hardrive getting ready to die ?

Should I use the go back feature and try to revert to an earlier date of known good configuration ?

Should I try to use the Recovery CDs to restore back to factory settings ?

also during one of my booting sequences I received an error about a video card problem.

I'll try to get back on tonight, hopefully someone from the day crew can shed some light on this
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:19:09 AM EDT
sounds like your harddrive is going bad or is already died
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:22:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RTOinIraq:
sounds like your harddrive is going bad or is already died

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:02:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2005 2:21:48 PM EDT by 19suburban96]
Thanks, I was afraid of that. Which hard drive brand should I be looking for ? I've got my case open and I don't see the familiar IDE cables so it must be a new standard. I have a small red cable running to my motherboard. What interface is this

ETA if I do install a new hard drive how do I get my windowsXP back on it? Sony did not package a dik of the OS with the computer, it was pre-installed
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:15:04 PM EDT
it sounds like its using SATA. I would suggest a Seagate hardrive. To get windows back on the system you will need to call Sony and order the recovery cd's.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:46:16 PM EDT
my sony uses seagate I had to replace a non seagate drive awhile ago!!!
Top Top