Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2004 9:44:39 AM EDT
need help. Apparently you need to use a Sony external CD drive or it will not load the system disks. Last Sony I buy. Anyway anybody know how I can get around this?

Thanks
Dale
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Shouldn't matter if it is internal or external. Unless the built in one doesn't work anymore. Try checking the bios setting to see what the boot order is and fix it for the internal one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
need help. Apparently you need to use a Sony external CD drive or it will not load the system disks.

Not true; you simply need to go into the BIOS and change the "boot order" to boot from the CD first.  That would be true of any brand of computer, though some may default that way.  It's kind of like saying you'd never buy another Ford (or Chevy, or Dodge) because the clock in the car wasn't set right when you picked it up at the dealer.  It's a user-adjustable setting.

-Troy

Just hit the delete key when its booting up and it will go into the bios
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to do tech support for sony. there are some laptop models that will only boot off the sony brand external drive. bios is usually F2 on a sony. it might be possible to make a dos boot floppy with cd drivers
129.33.22.7/srvs/conversation/modelverifyext.asp
enter in your model info and search the troubleshooting guide
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top