Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/20/2004 7:32:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 7:40:04 PM EST by Lapp_Dance]
Thinking about getting the FIU600/W Puppy fingerprint scanner from Sony. It comes with Puppy Suite v1.1. Anyone have any experience with biometric scanners? I thought it would be much easier than remembering all those passwords, and it would allow my wife to switch to her settings very easily.

I'm only an amateur at computers, so please limit the jargon!

Edit: I did notice that Sony claims that you don't need to clean it often due to the software recognition stuff. Would dirty fingerprints affect the operation? I'm a mechanic by trade, and sometimes you can't get all the dirt off your fingers, especially in the grooves of your fingerprint.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:30:16 PM EST
If your an amateur then why do you have so many passwords to remember? Most neophyte users simply write all the shit on a post it note and place it under the keyboard. If it's to keep your wife from seeing your files and browsing habits, you got bigger problems....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:11:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/30/2004 6:17:22 PM EST by Lapp_Dance]

Originally Posted By booshmaster:
If your an amateur then why do you have so many passwords to remember? Most neophyte users simply write all the shit on a post it note and place it under the keyboard. If it's to keep your wife from seeing your files and browsing habits, you got bigger problems....

So many passwords? Because not all passwords are just for the computer, most are website passwords for things like banking, ar15.com, etc. Post-it's on my desk at home get lost very easily and can be thrown out, especially since the wife uses post-it's for everything. If I was trying to keep the wife from browsing through my files, and my websites, then I know how to block that stuff, it's not difficult. As per my original post, it is used for fast switching, which by the way, since I bought one, it is very effective at doing.

But since you suggested the idea of hiding things from a significant other, it does raise an interesting question about your browsing habits...

Edited to add: I bought a biometric scanner, though not the Sony. It works great, and is very easy to use.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:19:19 AM EST
Do you really want your fingerprints stored on your computer where hackers can get them?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:57:02 AM EST
I know some people who are very into "hacking" and they have all said that the biometric scanners are not able to be hacked.

Even if you can get my fingerprint, what are you going to do with it? Print it out and randomly place it at crime scenes on a nice 8 1/2 x 11" piece of paper?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:51:28 PM EST
All things can be hacked. I don't know how they work but a device has to read the input and digitize it to compare it to something else. Someone just has to record the digitized part and then regenerate it. Sure not easy but where there is a will there is a way.
Top Top