Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2002 12:40:28 PM EDT
I think I’m going to be buying a Sony MD (mzn505,sport, or 707) player soon, but have 1 question about the software that comes with it.  I’ve heard some complaints that they have some type of copyright software built in, so that you can’t copy downloaded mp3’s  onto a minidisc. Anybody heard anything about this?  If so, is there any way to get around it?

Oh yeah, the Best Buy website was saying that you could add a FM tuner/remote control to MD player.  I haven’t been able to find anything on the Sony site or any other websites that have any info about a fm tuner.  Can you add one?  Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I’ve heard some complaints that they have some type of copyright software built in, so that you can’t copy downloaded mp3’s  onto a minidisc. Anybody heard anything about this?
View Quote

How would that even be possible?
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I was wondering the same thing, but I don't know anything about programming coding encryption and anything else like that.  I just use, people a lot smarter than me design it!  I would think that it would be difficult to discern between a file that I somebody else ripped, and I downloaded; and another that I just ripped from a cd I have in my house.

I don't have a clue, but thats why I'm in sales and not IT!
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#3]
No, you are exactly right.  There would be no way to tell the difference.

And no, ripped Mp3s aren't banned.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Sony does have devices that will only let you download music to them from a CD or from file types that have some type of copyright protection built into the file type. These units will not take mp3 file copies from any other source and rip the files directly from the CD.

I do not know if this is one of those devices but Sony is working on ways to fix their devices so the can only use certain types of files. Remember Sony is a record company as well as an electronics maker.

If somebody out there is saying this device has a from of copy protection you need to research it well because it is possible for Sony to restrict the way its electronic devices handle files and Sony has done so.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
what you're probably referring to is the copy protection in most consumer Minidisk (and possibly other types of digital media) systems.

They are protected so that you cannot make a second generation digital copy of anything. You could copy w/ digital signal from your CD player, but you couldn't copy w/ a digital signal from a (digital replica) minidisc.

Yes, the technology can tell. Yes there are ways around it. What one must do is use analog (RCA or 1/8" jacks or such) every other generation.

So... I can make a digital (perfect replica) copy from my CD to minidisc, then make an analog copy from MD to my second MD, then make a digital copy of the second MD to the third MD, etc...

This is designed to keep the perfect digital copies from being overly reproduced and distributed illegaly. Analog recordings aren't perfect replicas... they lose quality with each generation, so there is less concern there.

You could get some of the studio (professional) MD/CD/etc players that do not have this copy protection system inside... but they cost a lot.

now, as far as that specific piece of equipment, I don't know one way or the other if it has the same type of digital copy protection as the MD recorders do... But I wouldn't at all be surprised.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top