Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 10/28/2013 4:25:08 PM EDT
The Sonoma County sheriff's deputy who fired the shots that killed a 13-year-old  boy carrying a replica assault rifle  last week is a firearms expert, Iraq War veteran, and a regular contributor to magazines and blogs that tackle gun issues.

The Santa Rosa Press Democrat first reported the name of the deputy as Erick Gelhaus, 48, which was confirmed to NBC Bay Area on Monday by Assistant Sheriff Lorenzo Dueñas.

Gelhaus' partner, a new hire with 11 years experience, did not fire his weapon, investigators said, and his name has not been publicly released.

Gelhuas, a deputy since 1989, has worked in patrol, gang enforcement and drug investigations, according to a mini profile at the Gunsite Academy. His profile lists him as an “avid hunter” both in North America and Africa, who teaches people how to shoot pistols, shotguns and rifles.

Link if someone wants to make it hot
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Sonoma-County-Deputy-Who-Killed-Andy-Lopez-13-IDd-as-Erick-Gelhause-229588421.html

Did a 24 hour search with no results, if duped, mods please delete
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Sonoma Beach
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#2]
????
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck, he writes for 'SWAT'.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#4]
GunSite guy...

Doh, says so in OP.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#5]
He is also a Gunsite instructor
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#6]
1989?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Hope he didn't get his boots dirty.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I didn't read much more of the last thread after it became a circle jerk, but was it ever said that the kid pointed the gun at the cops?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Not that I know. All I heard from order to drop gun, to empty mag was 7 seconds. Don't even know any adults who can gather their thoughts and comply that quick. What chance do we stand against police who mis-identify a threat? Sounds like no chance at all.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not that I know. All I heard from order to drop gun, to empty mag was 7 seconds. Don't even know any adults who can gather their thoughts and comply that quick. What chance do we stand against police who mis-identify a threat? Sounds like no chance at all.
View Quote

I wasn't there, I haven't heard audio or seen video, I'm not passing judgment. I'm just curious.. if you're so focused on that scenario, you've trained and shot thousands of rounds to prepare, rehearsed it in your mind over and over.. I just wonder how much your rational brain is in play at that point.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, of COURSE he's a "firearms expert," he's a COP! [/journalist]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#12]
The kid not only was holding what he thought was an AK. The kid allegedly refused to drop it when ordered to do so. I give him the benefit of the doubt in this case.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

did you see the "toy"  gun?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The kid not only was holding what he thought was an AK. The kid allegedly refused to drop it when ordered to do so. I give him the benefit of the doubt in this case.
View Quote

This is California, man.. you're going to give a person less than 7 seconds to determine whether they live or die, when they might not even speak English?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Normally I would, but I've seen enough to question how long the kid was given from order to pewpew.  That and the above poster brought up a good point of training and brain activity.  Like a dog going after a ball, if you train so much in that situation your rational brain might disengage to the detriment of those you took an oath to serve.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#16]
OH SHIT!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I blame the parents for buying it for him and letting him walk around without the orange tip.  

I have an airsoft AK and AR15 for a little training at home.  They are full metal and nearly as heavy as the real deal.  If they had real barrels, they would be just as heavy.  They are full scale and from 20 feet away, you can't tell the difference.  The only way to know is the orange tip.  But then again, someone could paint the flash hider orange on a real gun, so it's a luck of the draw for the cop if he comes upon one.  

I feel sorry for both the cop and the kid, but that's what you get when you have stupid parents breeding stupid kids.  He simply shouldn't be walking around the neighborhood with it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#18]
shit situation for all involved
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I Feel sorry for the officer everybody was probably yelling gun. As in training he shot. He will never be the same.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I didn't read much more of the last thread after it became a circle jerk, but was it ever said that the kid pointed the gun at the cops?
View Quote

There's a photo at the scene.

It looked real enough to call Darwin and ask his opinion.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I served with him in Iraq. He is a solid dude. He is not a cowboy or elitist JBT. He is the kind of man I am proud to call a brother in arms. It breaks my heart to read this.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#22]
i hate JBTs as much as the next guy. but kid playing w/ AK? yeah...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, of COURSE he's a "firearms expert," he's a COP! [/journalist]

View Quote

He is a firearms expert.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhh?  Did you mean to respond to a different post?  
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Failing to see an issue here.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No. Link?

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I blame the parents for buying it for him and letting him walk around without the orange tip.  

I have an airsoft AK and AR15 for a little training at home.  They are full metal and nearly as heavy as the real deal.  If they had real barrels, they would be just as heavy.  They are full scale and from 20 feet away, you can't tell the difference.  The only way to know is the orange tip.  But then again, someone could paint the flash hider orange on a real gun, so it's a luck of the draw for the cop if he comes upon one.  

I feel sorry for both the cop and the kid, but that's what you get when you have stupid parents breeding stupid kids.  He simply shouldn't be walking around the neighborhood with it.
View Quote

Difference is, the cop gets to have a life....the kid's was taken from him. I hope you feel a little more "sorry" for the kid, since he is dead. We will never know what he was thinking.

He was just begging to be shot by a cop for walking around with a toy is what you are saying.

I am sure the cop will feel bad about it, but I bet the parents will feel worse.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry but I call bullshit on this. We used to walk around with replica guns in the late 80s/early 90s all the time (I had an Uzi that was full size and weight, indistinguishable from the real thing unless you tried to remove the mag, my buddy had an M16) and we were never hassled or shot at. Kids used to walk around with actual guns in more rural areas, without incident.

Something has changed, and it's not kids liking guns.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry but if that kid had pointed that gun at me I would have shot too.  Terrible situation for all involved   For those saying 7 seconds wasnt long enough, if you have ever had a gun pointed at you 7 seconds is a long fucking time
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sorry but if that kid had pointed that gun at me I would have shot too.  Terrible situation for all involved   For those saying 7 seconds wasnt long enough, if you have ever had a gun pointed at you 7 seconds is a long fucking time
View Quote

I really have to wonder if the toy was pointed at the cop. I don't know, but I really have to wonder.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#31]
gun looked real enough you couldn't tell the difference unless you were holding it....13yo kid, 90 yo man, 30 yo woman....doesn't matter

there will be enough basement ninjas on here who will try to beat down a .mil veteran, firearms expert, and veteran deputy
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I really have to wonder if the toy was pointed at the cop. I don't know, but I really have to wonder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously? In what other remotely imaginable scenario would he have felt the need to kill a 13 year old kid?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Normally I would, but I've seen enough to question how long the kid was given from order to pewpew.  That and the above poster brought up a good point of training and brain activity.  Like a dog going after a ball, if you train so much in that situation your rational brain might disengage to the detriment of those you took an oath to serve.
View Quote
So if I train a lot shooting bad guys on paper and my brain turns off when I shoot real "bad guys" I can use this as a defense???
I need to expand my paper target collection

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#34]
All that training and, experience, and expertise did not do that kid any good.

Tell me again what crime this kid committed?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sorry but I call bullshit on this. We used to walk around with replica guns in the late 80s/early 90s all the time (I had an Uzi that was full size and weight, indistinguishable from the real thing unless you tried to remove the mag, my buddy had an M16) and we were never hassled or shot at. Kids used to walk around with actual guns in more rural areas, without incident.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something has changed.  Back in the day, some loon wouldn't be shooting up a school or a mall about once/week.  I remember when a kid accidentally shooting someone would make the news.  Now, if the body count doesn't rise above about 5, you won't even hear about it.  Yeah, something has changed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
gun looked real enough you couldn't tell the difference unless you were holding it....13yo kid, 90 yo man, 30 yo woman....doesn't matter

there will be enough basement ninjas on here who will try to beat down a .mil veteran, firearms expert, and veteran deputy
View Quote

Don't you think it's important to ask if the gun was pointed at him or not?  Is it still ok to kill grandpa, a kid, or woman if they have an AK, even if its pointed 90deg away from you, just not obeying your commands for 7sec?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So if I train a lot shooting bad guys on paper and my brain turns off when I shoot real "bad guys" I can use this as a defense???

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe, who knows, right?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. When I was in fourth grade I carried a K98k 12 blocks to school for show and tell. I carried it in my hands because it was too long for me to sling it. Walked right past the cop who sat at the busy intersection waiting to bust speeders. He never said a damn word.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I served with him in Iraq. He is a solid dude. He is not a cowboy or elitist JBT. He is the kind of man I am proud to call a brother in arms. It breaks my heart to read this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
He is a firearms expert.

This is the kind of post that I actually put a good deal of stock in.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Shit sucks.  That's all there is to be said until the investigation is done.

Monday morning quarterbacking a situation with only a broad idea of the

scenario doesn't help much.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Something has changed.  Back in the day, some loon wouldn't be shooting up a school or a mall about once/week.  I remember when a kid accidentally shooting someone would make the news.  Now, if the body count doesn't rise above about 5, you won't even hear about it.  Yeah, something has changed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You gotta ask yourself now if that's cause or effect?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

He is a firearms expert.
View Quote
Sadly, not a threat expert

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
All that training and, experience, and expertise did not do that kid any good.

Tell me again what crime this kid committed?
View Quote

Can people his age walk around with firearms in that state? Was he legally in the lot he was walking through? I am pretty sure the Kommie state won't that young of a person possess a registered assault weapon, so there is a presumption he is violating that law.

DO you need more?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You gotta ask yourself now if that's cause or effect?
View Quote

Regardless of which it is, its now reality. In certain environments, it is not normal for a young boy to be carrying a rifle in public. Period. It does not matter why, or how it got to be this way, it simply is. The reaction to such an act is dictated by that truth, not by the way you wish it was, or how it used to be.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ask a bull rider how long 8 seconds are. Sounds like a tragedy that no e of us are qualified to pass judgement on because we weren't there.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is a firearms expert.

what an ignorant post.   I'm so thankful knowing there are pure american badasses like yourself that if faced with a similar situation would just do a front flip roll and kick the gun out of the persons hands, but I guess you wouldn't even have to do that because you would just know immediately it was a toy and not a real AK
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't have an opinion because I was not there, but I do now from experience from long ago that an 8 year old child can kill you very quickly in the right circumstances.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Start writing letters of character with specifics.  This information might make it to the press and it MIGHT be used against him.  You might want to contact him.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#49]
When I was young my friends and I  had rifles  and used them without getting murdered by a cop. And they weren't "replicas."
My oh my have the times a changed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#50]
As best I can tell, we still have no idea if the kid was pointing the (very authentic) replica at the officers or not, and that makes all the difference in the world in this scenario.  

Kid points gun: good shoot
Kid didn't point gun : probably not good shoot
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top