Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 11:46:01 AM EDT
In the movie, the german panzer crews were singing a song. Anyone know the name of the song and where I can get a free download of it? I need to win a bet on what the name is and for the life of me I cant think of it. I thought it may have been Panzerlied but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're talking about "Battle of the Bulge" with Henry Fonda & Robert Ryan, I believe you are correct and it is Panzerlied. It's mentioned in the credits.

ETA: It's not a download, but I believe it's bona fides you seek

Linky
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Your Google-fu is weak Grasshopper

Panzerlied - MP3 here also.

Von Oblt. Wiehle am 25. Juni 1933 auf der Fahrt nach Königsbrück gedichtet

1. Ob's stürmt oder schneit,
Ob die Sonne uns lacht,
Der Tag glühend heiß
Oder eiskalt die Nacht.
Bestaubt sind die Gesichter,
Doch froh ist unser Sinn,
Ist unser Sinn;
Es braust unser Panzer
Im Sturmwind dahin.

2. Mit donnernden Motoren,
Geschwind wie der Blitz,
Dem Feinde entgegen,
Im Panzer geschützt.
Voraus den Kameraden,
Im Kampf steh'n wir allein,
Steh'n wir allein,
So stoßen wir tief
In die feindlichen Reihn.

3. Wenn vor uns ein feindliches
Heer dann erscheint,
Wird Vollgas gegeben
Und ran an den Feind!
Was gilt denn unser Leben
Für unsres Reiches Heer?
Ja Reiches Heer?
Für Deutschland zu sterben
Ist uns höchste Ehr.

4. Mit Sperren und Minen
Hält der Gegner uns auf,
Wir lachen darüber
Und fahren nicht drauf.
Und droh'n vor uns Geschütze,
Versteckt im gelben Sand,
Im gelben Sand,
Wir suchen uns Wege,
Die keiner sonst fand.

5. Und läßt uns im Stich
Einst das treulose Glück,
Und kehren wir nicht mehr
Zur Heimat zurück,
Trifft uns die Todeskugel,
Ruft uns das Schicksal ab,
Ja Schicksal ab,
Dann wird uns der Panzer
Ein ehernes Grab.

Translation Frank 1998

In blizzard or storm,
Or in sun warm and bright,
The day hot as hell
Or bone-chilling be the night,
Our faces may with dust be laid,
But spirits never fade,
No, never fade;
Relentless, our tank
Thunders out on a raid.

With engines a-howling,
Fast as is the wind,
We head for the foe,
Safe, as we're in armor skinned.
Our comrades still behind us roam;
We fight the foe alone,
Yes, fight alone.
We stab through the line
To break the foes backbone.

Whenever the foe
May appear in our sight,
We'll ram throttle full,
Then we'll humble all his might!
Of what use is our life if we
Our country serve freely?
Yes, serve freely!
To die for our country,
Our honour shall be.

With tank traps and mines,
Our foe tries to impede.
We laugh at his ruses;
We know he'll not suceed.
And when, in threat, his cannons stand,
Half hidden in the sand,
Yes, in the sand,
We can find our way
Over much safer land.

And should at long last,
Fickle Lady Luck leave,
And we remain here,
Leaving family to grieve,
A bullet with our name on it,
Find us and seal our fate,
Yes, seal our fate,
Our tank will our grave be
On that final date.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. Looks like those are MIDI files. I was hoping to find the live recording with the men singing or the same. I tried google but came up with just the words or website I did not want to click on (I.E. 88/Nazi sites).
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks guys. Looks like those are MIDI files. I was hoping to find the live recording with the men singing or the same. I tried google but came up with just the words or website I did not want to click on (I.E. 88/Nazi sites).

From ODA_564's post
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Outstanding! Many thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#7]
tag cause its a cool scene
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I guess the little buttons that say "MP3" (including the one that says "from Battle of the Bulge" weren't obvious...

Those "MP3" buttons open up in a new window and play the MP3...    The HTML links above them are MIDI files.

Both of the links (MP3 and MIDI) that say "from Battle of the Bulge" are from the movie.

Live recording?  The Bundeswehr's 4.Panzergrenadierdivision's officers did a pretty good rendition when we had a mess night at the end of "SCHARFE KLINGE" (REFORGER 81), but I didn't record it.  That's where I learned the words.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Your Google-fu is weak Grasshopper

1. Ob's stürmt oder schneit,
Ob die Sonne uns lacht,
Der Tag glühend heiß
Oder eiskalt die Nacht.
Bestaubt sind die Gesichter,
Doch froh ist unser Sinn,
Ist unser Sinn;
Es braust unser Panzer
Im Sturmwind dahin.
Translation Frank 1998

In blizzard or storm,
Or in sun warm and bright,
The day hot as hell
Or bone-chilling be the night,
Our faces may with dust be laid,
But spirits never fade,
No, never fade;
Relentless, our tank
Thunders out on a raid.

I'm not overly convinced by that translation. Saw another one some time ago which, given my basic German seems better. Along the lines of as follows.

In storm or snow
Or the sun smiling upon us,
The day blistering hot
or the night icy-cold.
Faces covered with dust,
cheeful are our minds,
are our minds.
Our tank rumbles
into the stormy wind.

I think there's probably a better one somewhere.

NTM
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#10]
In the movie, there just happened to be an orchestra in the bunker, too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess the little buttons that say "MP3" (including the one that says "from Battle of the Bulge" weren't obvious...
Those "MP3" buttons open up in a new window and play the MP3...    The HTML links above them are MIDI files.
Both of the links (MP3 and MIDI) that say "from Battle of the Bulge" are from the movie.

Live recording?  The Bundeswehr's 4.Panzergrenadierdivision's officers did a pretty good rendition when we had a mess night at the end of "SCHARFE KLINGE" (REFORGER 81), but I didn't record it.  That's where I learned the words.

Sorry dude, didnt work for me!

Here is the error message I got:  
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a network error occurred. The server might not be available. Verify that you are connected to the network and that your proxy settings are correct.

I wish I knew why you got all bent outta shape in your post above pal. Maybe next time ASK if there was a problem BEFORE getting testy, hmmmmmm.

It would seem ARFCOM is getting more and more difficult to put one simple topic up without anyone getting pissed off at the stupidest things. Sheesh!

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
In the movie, there just happened to be an orchestra in the bunker, too.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Try turning off your pop-up blocker or installing Quicktime.  You could also right-click on the "MP3" buttons and select "save as" and save them to your hard drive.

That was the first site that popped up after I entered "Panzerlied" in Google.  Your comment about 88 sites pissed me off.   Basically you came here and asked people to find for you what you could have found in the time it took to write a topic on arfcom, and then wanted more, when what you wanted was on the site I looked up for (which you seemed to dismiss as "an 88 site you didn't want to visit").

Think about it.  You could have done that yourself in 5 minutes.  And then, when you won your bet it would be your own victory.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Your comment about 88 sites pissed me off.   Basically you came here and asked people to find for you what you could have found in the time it took to write a topic on arfcom, and then wanted more, when what you wanted was on the site I looked up for (which you seemed to dismiss as "an 88 site you didn't want to visit").

Dude, get a life. WTF do I care HOW I win the bet. I thank you for your input, however I did not twist your arm for it nor were you obligated to give me anything. So what if I had no desire to change the security settings on my broser or wanted to delve into subversive Nazi sites. THATS MY BUSINESS. Besides, there is nothing NAZI about Panzerlied as the song was for REGULAR GERMAN ARMY PANZER TROOPS!

Again, thanks for the input, but you have some nerve tryin to trash me and my thread. TROLL ANOTHER THREAD PLEASE!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top