Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 5:08:40 PM EDT
I've had the lyrics memorized for years, but am unable to come up with any conclusions and have yet to hear of a real diffinitive answer to this question....What say you?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Like what? It was written as a tip of the hat to Buddy Holly & Janice Joplin. Why not simply enjoy the song & leave the hidden meaning stuff to the tin foil hat crowd?????    
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#2]
When the Big Bopper, Buddy Holly and others went down in a plane crash.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a history lesson.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#5]
It's about how Billie Joe jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Who F-ing cares...that song BLOWS.  I can't turn the dial (showing my age there with the dial comment!) fast enuf when that stinker comes on.  Never understood the adoration it garners.....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#7]
There were not enough seats on the plane for all the musicians, so they tossed a coin to see who would get left behind.

Waylon Jennings lost the coin toss and did not get on the plane.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#8]
It was based on the tragic crash that killed one of the great musicians.

C'mon, "drove the chevy to the levy"?  Don't you see it?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I loved that episode of the Young Ones where Buddy Holly was stuck in their attic and had been living there hanging upside down from his parachute living off of daddy long legs. That Was Awesome!

BTW Bob Dylan was the jester! Actualy he was more of a song and dance man (...from Don't look back)
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like the name of the airplane that Buddy Holly died in on Feb 3, 1959. See towards the bottom of the link above.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Who F-ing cares...that song BLOWS.  I can't turn the dial (showing my age there with the dial comment!) fast enuf when that stinker comes on.  Never understood the adoration it garners.....

Amen to that brother.

that song is right up there with "Stairway to Heaven" and anything that Peter Frampton did.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/963911/lisa2.jpg

I thought it was about the plane crash that killed Aaliyah  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Don McLean has made some serious dough off that song- or maybe something he invested in from that song.

Some locals I've spoken with have pointed out a huge beautiful house on a lake in Maine near where I have a much more meagher crap box of a place.   The place looks like a sea captains home, and is on a huge forested hill all by itself.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Thank you.

That song is a tragedy to all that is Holy
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#15]
It's about the crash of Billy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper.  The day their plane crashed, it was "the Day the Music Died".  The song's about him lamenting how he didn't like the pop music afterwards, ESPECIALLY the Rolling Stones and how their Hells Angels security killed people at Altamont as the Stones played on.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Looks like the name of the airplane that Buddy Holly died in on Feb 3, 1959. See towards the bottom of the link above.

Nope.  Urban Legend.

One interesting fact that is true is that J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson talked one of Holly's fellow band members into giving up his seat on the plane so Richardson would have time to see a doctor before the show.  The band member's name was Waylon Jennings.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#17]
death of rock and roll
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#18]
google it and you get multiple meanings
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#19]
The "American Pie" was the name of the plane that Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the "Big Bopper" were killed in in 1959.  The "Day the music died" referrs to the night of that plane crash.

Oh and Raven is also right.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/963911/lisa2.jpg

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It's about the crash of Billy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper.  The day their plane crashed, it was "the Day the Music Died".  The song's about him lamenting how he didn't like the pop music afterwards, ESPECIALLY the Rolling Stones and how their Hells Angels security killed people at Altamont as the Stones played on.

Actually, the guy had a gun and the HA's administered a rightous bead down on the dude.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It's about how Billie Joe jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge.  

pass the bisquits please
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The "American Pie" was the name of the plane that Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the "Big Bopper" were killed in in 1959.  The "Day the music died" referrs to the night of that plane crash.

WRONG.

www.snopes.com/music/artists/amerpie.htm

Planes don't normally get names like boats.

McLean himself has also corrected this bit of trivia falsehood.

Snopes is good reading.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WRONG.

www.snopes.com/music/artists/amerpie.htm

Planes don't normally get names like boats.

McLean himself has also corrected this bit of trivia falsehood.

Snopes is good reading.

guess my high school history teacher was wrong then.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Most likely.  If he was right, he wouldn't be teaching.

What's the saying?

"Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach."

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
guess my high school history teacher was wrong then.

High school history teachers are often full of crap.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I think he is sad because he isn't getting any more pie.  I like pie.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I always understood the phrase "American Pie" to refer to the innocent age of rock and roll.  It's a reference to the purity and innocence of American rock and roll before........ "The British Invasion."  The music of the those that died had an a purity and beauty to it,  most of what followed didn't (the British Invasion).  YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top