Link Posted: 8/6/2001 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
True heroes.
View Quote

What more can you say?

Link Posted: 8/6/2001 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Chose that particular part of the Ranger creed since to me it best explains  the reason for them to leave the relatively safe helo to jump in amongst hundreds of enemies to get their guys back.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Dude, have`nt seen that one before.
I dig the little painting at top.
I thought they were both SF qual.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe you haven´t seen it since i just made it a few days ago Rich [:)]

Gordon is also SF qual but for some reason it doesn´t show in his uniform i guess.

Link Posted: 8/6/2001 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a Ron Volstad painting. He does great work.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#7]
That is... a very good thing you did there
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#8]
It is Men like these that I will raise my children to respect as true Heroes.             The "hollywood" & "pro-jock" bunch that kids today look up to are lower that whale shit compared to these Men !!
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#9]
These two men were not actually in the Ranger BN at the time Task Force Ranger took place. They may have been in the past but not at that time.

They were Delta Operators that were in the area. They went in under heavy fire to save the actual Rangers and Blackhawk aviators that had been shot down.

It was the bodies of these two men that were dragged through the streets of Somolia by the thugs.

Rumor around Bragg shorterly after this happened is that the reason their bodies had no heads nor hands is that a thrid Operator, that survived the conflict, removed them since he couldn't recover the entire bodies and wanted to prevent identification.(I don't know if this is true but came from a solid source)

The only reason they were ever identified is so that Klinton could be photographed awarding their wives the CMOH, otherwise they would have gone on pretending that they were Rangers as originally reported.

Either way, they deserve respect for what they did, and I think this is very respectfull.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Excellent.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 6:56:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Rumor around Bragg shorterly after this happened is that the reason their bodies had no heads nor hands is that a thrid Operator, that survived the conflict, removed them since he couldn't recover the entire bodies and wanted to prevent identification.(I don't know if this is true but came from a solid source)

View Quote

If that were true then their MOH citations are bogus. They were overrun by Somalians at the crash site. Gordon was killed, then Shughart gave Gordon's carbine to Durant. Shughart was killed shortly after. This is when Durant was captured. Think chain of custody. Fighting- overrun- dragged thru streets. If there was a third Delta guy there, then he cut of their heads and hands after they were killed and took off, leaving the pilot behind. That's ridiculous. It would have been easier to just change paperwork back in the states to make it look like they were in Battalion if they didn't want people to know they were in Delta.

Just think of the nightmares Durant must have from seeing and hearing the others hacked to pieces. If I were him I think I would've killed myself rather than be captured. He's damn lucky they didn't carve him up too.

Link Posted: 8/9/2001 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#12]
If they were hacked up by the somolians or not, they deserved the CMOH either way.

They got it because the sacrificed themselves for the others, not because they were mutilated.

Like I said, I have no way of knowing if the rumor is true, but heard it from someone that was with Delta for awhile,(not at the time this happened, but before) and even he didn't say it was fact, just possible.

After the smoke cleared, these two men were reported as Rangers for a good while. Only when Klinton wanted the photo op did their true identity get revealed to the PUBLIC, it was known buy others before that though.

Either way, they deserve the Medal of Honor for what they did. Just too bad they weren't alive to get it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
True heroes.
View Quote

What more can you say?

View Quote
Nothing
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#14]
These two men are my heros.

They did'nt have to volunteer to go down.
But they did.
I mean they were Delta,right?
If they got caught think of the intel that
could be extracted from them. Let other Rangers
or SF or whoever handle it.

They would'nt of been thought cowards for
not going
to the downed blackhawk(s)

When their first request was denied by their
commanding officer they could of said,"Oh,well
we tried."

But they persisted,and were finally
given the go ahead.

These men were both seasoned sergants
not two PFCs that had delusions of invinsibility
They knew they were going into a hornets' nest
and with the number of somolis on the ground
they had to realize that two men would'nt stand a chance.

These men had wives and children,
they had every excuse not to go.

But they did go.

Trying to remeber the scripture that says,

"No greater love can a man have then to
lay down his life for a brother."

Link Posted: 8/9/2001 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#15]
TRUE HEROS. GOD BLESS THEM BOTH.
THANK YOU.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top