Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 1:14:24 PM EDT
I had a friend mention it, and then read about it in the usa today a week ago. I looked it up on the net, but there was no real reliable info on it. every site justs says how wonderful it is and then they want to sell you some. Has anyone tried any tea made with it. Does it really relax you without the side effects of other things???

thx
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I've tried it in two forms: the brown plant/stem matter and the whiteish powdered root. The powdered root is the only form that worked, bought it in a health food store in Hawaii in 1993 out of some bulk bins.

It tastes TERRIBLE.  Doesn't taste like anything else I've ever had.  It's insoluble in water, so when you mix it in with black tea like we did, it just forms clumps in the water.  You either have to mix it with oil, saliva like the Islanders do, or just choke it down and chase it with water.  Makes your mouth all numb.

But, it has a nice mild euphoric effect.  Very nice.  No side effects aside from numb mouth and truly awful taste.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
what is it supposed to be?? a drug??
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
what is it supposed to be?? a drug??

More like an herb.  It's the powdered root of a plant that grows in the South Pacific.  The islanders use it in communal rituals. The only game in town in cultures without any other real intoxicants.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top